Need Help With Alternator Problem

Falcon6

Hi Guys,

I have a 91 LS400 and the other day I was driving to work (25mi) and when I pulled into the parking lot I noticed most of my dash lights were on (brake, low coolant, tail light, battery light etc). There was no change in the performance of the car. If I had not looked down, I would never have noticed.

I took the car to Autozone and got it tested. Bad battery and Alt. I replaced both and while replacing the alt, I was connecting the wire to it and made contact with the frame of the car with the wrench I was using........there were sparks. :o

When I went to drive the car, it idled fine. When it got to 1000rpm, the dash lights came on again. So every time I get to a stop light and idle; no warning lights. When I press the gas, once past 1000rpm; all warning lights lightn up. Then, today when I started it first thing in the morning, the lights came on and stayed on. I went to have the alt tested again and the computer reading said: "check connection or wire". The service guy recommended running a wire from the alt straight to the battery to see if it is the fusible link.

Now the questions:

1. I did a search on this forum and found out what a fusible link was but are the only fusible links located in the fuse box? The reason being is that when I look down into the fuse, the little wire connection is still connected although it looks a little discolored.

2. Are there any other options if it's not the fusible link? could it be a short in the alt wire itself?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks