2000 Rx300 Glove Box

aamercado

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 2000 RX300 and the glove box has to be slammed to shut and close. Anyone had this problem and is there an easy fix? Thanks

I have the same problem on my 2003 RX. I tightened the screws holding the glove box and that help a little. However I still need to slam it shut once in a while.

1999 with the same problem. In fact it was the only "as delivered" problem that was never resolved. Dealer even replaced the door a couple of times after tiring of attempting to adjust it. At least it's closed so tight it doesn't rattle.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't seem to have any 'little black sleeve'... and I just tightened all attaching screws, tried to close - if it was 'off', checked positions and then I bent (with pliers) the striker(?) (the piece that is not on the lid) until all fit nicely. That was when I got the car 5 1/2 years ago, CPO, and it has worked since. From time to time, rarely, do we need to 'slam' it shut. However the closing motion must be firm.

By George! I was very wrong. Apologies to all. I DO have a little black sleeve, which was not quite centered. I centered it, and - lo and behold! - the glove box closed easier (or so it seemed). So I too some marine glue, slipped the sleeve all the way to the right, and put a mini-drop on the left side, then the reverse, centered the sleeve (the object being to glue the sleeve to its ideal position), and ... I will know tomorrow how all goes. I expect long-term success!

Thanks to all - and again, I eat my previous reply and words....

• 2 weeks later...
By George! I was very wrong. Apologies to all. I DO have a little black sleeve, which was not quite centered. I centered it, and - lo and behold! - the glove box closed easier (or so it seemed). So I too some marine glue, slipped the sleeve all the way to the right, and put a mini-drop on the left side, then the reverse, centered the sleeve (the object being to glue the sleeve to its ideal position), and ... I will know tomorrow how all goes. I expect long-term success!

Thanks to all - and again, I eat my previous reply and words....

I just picked up my "new to me" RX300 Saturday evening. One of the first things I noticed was the glove box needed to be slammed to close. Fortunately I had read this thread Friday evening while researching the RX300. I slide the black plastic to the center and it works perfectly. Thanks to this forum. I hope all my future problems are so easily solved. :D