2000 Rx300 Towing Wiring Help

RX300-01

I got a 2000 RX300 AWD that came with the Towing Prep Pkg/Trans Oil Cool. However, I could not locate the trailer wire connector, I have search every lexus/toyota forum that I could find and no post regarding to the 2000. However, I have found lots of post for the 1999 and 2001, so far, I have follow these post and take apart every posible liner in the trunk where spare tire locate and still cannot find the trailer/hitch wiring harness any where. Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

I got a 2000 RX300 AWD that came with the Towing Prep Pkg/Trans Oil Cool. However, I could not locate the trailer wire connector, I have search every lexus/toyota forum that I could find and no post regarding to the 2000. However, I have found lots of post for the 1999 and 2001, so far, I have follow these post and take apart every posible liner in the trunk where spare tire locate and still cannot find the trailer/hitch wiring harness any where. Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

See if this post helps. The third entry has a .PDF file of the installation procedure and the location of the wire connector.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry254728

Here is a post from today that has a picture of the inside hitch wiring connection near the driver's side wheel well (near the bottom of the post). I taped the hitch wire to the harness just in case there might be a way for it to jiggle loose. It is not really necessary but I didn't want to have to tear out the cargo area again.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry316848

Here is a post from today that has a picture of the inside hitch wiring connection near the driver's side wheel well (near the bottom of the post). I taped the hitch wire to the harness just in case there might be a way for it to jiggle loose. It is not really necessary but I didn't want to have to tear out the cargo area again.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry316848

Hi GDixon,

thanks for the link, actually the part that I have trouble with is to find the trailer pigtail in the trunk area. Since I got the Hitch + Hitch wire that need to plug into somewhere in the trunk. like I said, I have taken out every liner in the cargo area on Left and Right side but still could not fine the trailer pigtail... maybe the Lexus forgot to put it in??? or my windows sticker is miss leading since it said "towing Prep package/oil cool" is included in the car... I have to call the Lexus dealer later to find out what the hell is going on or maybe my 2000 RX300 does not really come with towing package... :angry:

thanks any how.

The fifth and sixth pictures in the second link shows shows where the connection is located behind the driver's side wheel well. You can see the wire from the hitch coming out of the large rubber gasket that is molded to the hitch wire. Also the white connector can be seen taped to the car's wiring harness.

Install the gasket in the large hole and then untape the white pigtail from the car's wiring harness and plug in the hitch. There is a very little difference in the distance from the end of the wire that comes out of the large rubber gasket and the car's plug-in. Install the gasket and hold the wire from the gasket at about 80 degrees toward the front of the car. It should just reach the required connector.

If you don't have the white connector on the car's wiring harness then it may not have the "towing prep" package.

It's been a few years since I have investigated this on my 01 with towing prep package so I will do the best I can going from memory. In 2001 even with towing prep package a few things need to be added to make wiring work. First there is the electronic module which gets plugged in up in the spare tire area where there is a stud to mount it on. Second the wiring gets plugged into a pigtail accessed from under the car. Take off the black plastic cover directly under the spare and you will find it in there. Lastly, you need to add a fuse in the fuse box. Many in the past have assumed they had the electronic modle because they had towing prep package and tried to make things work with just the wiring and fuse but found out differently. It looks to me like the PDF and directions in the above posts are for 2005 and newer.

It's been a few years since I have investigated this on my 01 with towing prep package so I will do the best I can going from memory. In 2001 even with towing prep package a few things need to be added to make wiring work. First there is the electronic module which gets plugged in up in the spare tire area where there is a stud to mount it on. Second the wiring gets plugged into a pigtail accessed from under the car. Take off the black plastic cover directly under the spare and you will find it in there. Lastly, you need to add a fuse in the fuse box. Many in the past have assumed they had the electronic modle because they had towing prep package and tried to make things work with just the wiring and fuse but found out differently. It looks to me like the PDF and directions in the above posts are for 2005 and newer.

Thanks very much GDixon, mikey00,

1. the picture 5, 6 as GDixon mentioned does not apply to my car since there is no where to be found in the cargo area.

2. i don't see any box the mikey00 mentioned also, I also remove the plastic box right under the spare and did not find the wire too.

I have finally called Lexus of StevenCreek and they told me I still need to order the converter box assembly cost $220... I will have to find a different cheaper solution somewhere but 220 is a lot of $$$ for me now...

by the way, it makes me wonder if my realy have the Transmission Oli Cool installed as specify on the windows sticker... Any thought on where I can look for in the engine compartment???

again really appreciate for your help.

Thanks very much GDixon, mikey00,

1. the picture 5, 6 as GDixon mentioned does not apply to my car since there is no where to be found in the cargo area.

2. i don't see any box the mikey00 mentioned also, I also remove the plastic box right under the spare and did not find the wire too.

I have finally called Lexus of StevenCreek and they told me I still need to order the converter box assembly cost $220... I will have to find a different cheaper solution somewhere but 220 is a lot of $$$ for me now...

by the way, it makes me wonder if my realy have the Transmission Oli Cool installed as specify on the windows sticker... Any thought on where I can look for in the engine compartment???

again really appreciate for your help.

So far everything seems right with your RX. You have no reason to doubt that you have the towing prep package. In my previous post I mentioned you would need electronic module. You need to add (buy) this to the towing prep package. That's the converter box the dealer is referring to. The other plastic box I was refering to is accessed from under the car. It is about 10 in wide and about 24 in long. It is held on by a nut front and back that should be quite rusted by now. Inside that is a plug to connect your wiring harness to. I am pretty sure it is on a short pigtail and has some kind of protective cap on it. If your window sticker said towing prep package, I can guarantee you have the trans cooler. If you want to verify, look at the front passanger side inside fender well. At the front of the tire you will see some louvers cut into the fender well liner. Peak inside and you will see a small radiator type device. I think your expectations of the towing prep package are a little higher than what it actually is.

OK. I have taken this black plastic box (under the car right beneath the spare tire) for the 3rd time so far (refer by other post) and still cannot fine the pigtail. there is a wire came down from the cargo area driver side thru the grommet but already connected to some kind of connection next to 2 of the parts that look like a fuel filter and inside this wire there are only 2 wires. (sorry, no picture to show you).

so maybe I have to call the dealer and ask him to quote me the harness as well, hope it will be must cheaper than the converter box.

regarding to the your tip about the oil cool, I will definitely take a look at since now find out no pigtail connector also (as you mentioned should have been there). You wouldn't thing they make such a mistake on the windows sticker do you? I bought the car brand new with less than 2 miles on the odo reading

OK. I have taken this black plastic box (under the car right beneath the spare tire) for the 3rd time so far (refer by other post) and still cannot fine the pigtail. there is a wire came down from the cargo area driver side thru the grommet but already connected to some kind of connection next to 2 of the parts that look like a fuel filter and inside this wire there are only 2 wires. (sorry, no picture to show you).

so maybe I have to call the dealer and ask him to quote me the harness as well, hope it will be must cheaper than the converter box.

regarding to the your tip about the oil cool, I will definitely take a look at since now find out no pigtail connector also (as you mentioned should have been there). You wouldn't thing they make such a mistake on the windows sticker do you? I bought the car brand new with less than 2 miles on the odo reading

Everything I said so far has pertained to a 2001. I re-read your first post and now realize you have a 2000. I must have got a little confused with your name RX300-01.

Anyway, 2001 with the towing prep package requires part # 08921-48070 ($99 at newlexusparts.com). This is a power module that plugs in by the spare tire and mounts on 2 studs already there and wiring that plugs in to the pigtail under the car. I think the 20a fuse that goes in the fuse box is also included. Very easy install.

1999 and 2000 with the towing prep package require part #08921-48070 which has been replaced by 08921-48051 ($171 at newlexusparts.com). I think this will also work on 1999-2000 without towing prep package, you just won't have the trans cooler. This is the power module plus more wiring then what comes in the 2001 kit. This wiring plugs into connectors in the cargo area and requies removing panels inside the cargo area to get at the connectors. This install is a little more difficult and although it sounds long to me, people in the past have reported 4 hours for install.

The Lexus kits supply the neatest install and are also the most expensive. You may want to investigate e-trailer, u-haul and the other hitch sites and see if there are cheaper alternatives.

Everything I said so far has pertained to a 2001. I re-read your first post and now realize you have a 2000. I must have got a little confused with your name RX300-01.

Anyway, 2001 with the towing prep package requires part # 08921-48070 ($99 at newlexusparts.com). This is a power module that plugs in by the spare tire and mounts on 2 studs already there and wiring that plugs in to the pigtail under the car. I think the 20a fuse that goes in the fuse box is also included. Very easy install.

1999 and 2000 with the towing prep package require part #08921-48070 which has been replaced by 08921-48051 ($171 at newlexusparts.com). I think this will also work on 1999-2000 without towing prep package, you just won't have the trans cooler. This is the power module plus more wiring then what comes in the 2001 kit. This wiring plugs into connectors in the cargo area and requies removing panels inside the cargo area to get at the connectors. This install is a little more difficult and although it sounds long to me, people in the past have reported 4 hours for install.

The Lexus kits supply the neatest install and are also the most expensive. You may want to investigate e-trailer, u-haul and the other hitch sites and see if there are cheaper alternatives.

just want to let you know that I really appreciated for you to take effort and time response to my questions. I did most of the car work myself for all 3 cars and so far this is my first time running into this tow prep thing that makes my wife complaining due to keep removing to liners over and over. thanks to your post and other I found in this forums, I have promise my wife that will remove everything one last time to install these stuff and she agree :). regarding to the alternative that you mention in your post "e-trailer", I have found the whole kit (part#118176KIT) for only $65 I am on my way to order it. as regards to the time to install, I think I can take less than 1 hour for my car since now I know how to remove every liner in the cargo area already in record time, and tapping wires won't take much time either.

By the way, also thanks for instuction on the oil cool location, I found it in my car in no time. Stand in front of the car and bend down to the passenger side, I can see the radiator right there behind the bumper with hoses connected to it. never pay attention to this before. Now I can understand what other post is saying about return line when do Trans Flush and Fill... :)