1996 Es 300

kchalasa

This is my first post and please excuse me if any thing is wrong.

I have 1996 ES300. Today I got “Check” Engine light on and I took it to the Lexus dealer (Meade Lexus, Southfield, MI). He is saying that “02 Sensor –Bank 1 Sensor -1” is damaged/gone, it has to be replaced and repair costs will be $300. He is also saying that I can run the vehicle as I used to and I can get it done any time. (Means there is no rush.). The only disadvantage I will have if I don’t get it fixed is I will get lesser mileage

Any other problems if I don’t get it done soon?

Is this price ($300) is normal for this kind of problem?

Is there any other place I can get it done for lesser price?

What are my options at this time?

Thanks for your advices.

KC

They are right it will return lesser milage ,the only possible problem is the car running so rich because it can't tell the amount of gas to use ,so it dumps even more is .The unburnt gas might overheat the cat and burn it out also.

Sometimes those expensive $100 fuel injection services can clean tehm out and make then normal again to remove carbon buildup .If this is its problem.

O2 sensor is something that goes bad on cars all the time..just like spark plugs.. it's actually in the general maintaince category.

if you call around, i am sure you can get a good deal on it..i say..60-80 bucks. (shouldn't take much at all)

your car will run..but your will really bad gasmileage..like 10-15 miles a gallon.

so earlier you do it, you will save money by putting less fuel into your car.

if this goes forever..like a few years or so..you will cause some engine problems.

• 2 weeks later...

"Pep Boys" are recommending to take it to the Lexus dealer.

Toyota dealer is asking almost the same price ($270).

Verified the part price on the web ( http://catalog.autopartsgo.com/?make=LX&ye...=1996&x=19&y=19 ) it is around $150. Again I have to take it to the mechanic to replace. It will cost another $100.

So I took it to the Lexus dealer and they replaced it in 1 hour and charged me $300.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

KC