Exhaust/intake Mods

K Dub

I have a 1999 GS400, and would like to hear the exhaust rumble like I feel a V8 should. What intake works best, and with what set of headers, pipes and glass packs/mufflers and O2 sensers to make it sound more like a hot rod? Where can I get good pricing on such and some real good instructions on all of this? Thanks for your help in advance you guys are the best! Kdub

• 2 weeks later...

I chatted with a custom exhaust company here in Atlanta. The consensus was why would you do that to a Lexus?

I told them I wanted better performance.

If you gain any info let me know. An entire custom exhaust isn't cheap!!!

I have a 1999 GS400, and would like to hear the exhaust rumble like I feel a V8 should. What intake works best, and with what set of headers, pipes and glass packs/mufflers and O2 sensers to make it sound more like a hot rod? Where can I get good pricing on such and some real good instructions on all of this? Thanks for your help in advance you guys are the best! Kdub

• 2 months later...

If its just sound you are after then start with the mufflers in the back and replace them with FloMasters or Turbo Mufflers or whatever you like the sound of. If that doesn't give you the sound or volume you are looking for then move forward and replace whatever is next. The catalytic converter kills some sound but not much so keep those intact.

Some manufacturers have sound bites of what their mufflers sound like. Check out FloMaster, Thrush or any of the ricer brands that I don't know the names of.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd chime in since I had/have a similar desire for my 1990 LS400. I ended up getting Flowmaster Delta 50 series mufflers. However it seems that there is much, much more muffling going on in the exhaust system than the rear mufflers. I wasn't going for an all out racing sound and that's why I got the Delta 50s, just they didn't make much of a difference at all. I can only hear a difference if I'm standing behind my car real close. But like i said there seems to be much more going on in there that I might fiddle with in the long run.

• 1 month later...

you can get a 5zigen exhaust or a JIC magic. these come with removable silencers which will help the throttle noise. and get a Injen intake system and your engine will really roar. I have one of these on my 90 LS and it really sounds like and airplane coming down the street. i haven't messed with the exhaust yet. you can also get S&S headers which will improve engine breathing. and search ClubLexus because there are a lot of GS owners who mod the ECU and remove the Govt limiters which allow a lot more performance.

• 10 months later...
hi guys, i am not sure why but i always wanted to know why nobody has done a exhuast mod on the RX. i know it's not much use but to me i would like to know if it's possible to have dual exhaust like the FX on the RX. thanks guys!

I have an '05 rx330 and I was not happy with the fuel mileage and performance. So here is where the project began. I started off with the Weapon R intake kit. This helped a little bit. From there, I installed a custom exhaust system from the manifold back. Stainless steel system with Flowmaster cats, mufflers, and resonators. Its a dual exhaust system. The performance is great and about 80km(50miles) more per tank of fuel

• 3 months later...