Egr Pipe/valve/tube/whatever!

jcrome04

Hey guys and gals just had a quick question I can't seen to find some info on!

I was just wondering WHERE in the heck the EGR tube or valve or whatever is in the engine bay. I believe I have a slight tick coming from it. And have heard many other do as well. Does anyone have a photo of it?

Year is 1997. I've heard of people just taking it to a machine shop and having them replace the cracked tube.

Thanks in advance everyone! I appreciate it!

:cheers:

Hi there jchrome04,

I've gather a ton of info from this board, so now time to start paying back!!

Here is all the info I could find on the EGR system, but it doesn't really have a good diagram of the tube. Take a look though and maybe something in here can help you.

Good luck!

I was just wondering WHERE in the heck the EGR tube or valve or whatever is in the engine bay. I believe I have a slight tick coming from it. And have heard many other do as well. Does anyone have a photo of it?

Year is 1997. I've heard of people just taking it to a machine shop and having them replace the cracked tube.

insp.pdf

comp.pdf

draw.pdf

loca.pdf

WOW! Thanks a lot dude that's a lot of info! I'll have to take a gander under the hood in one of the next couple of days!

I really appreciate it! :D

The EGR pipe runs from your exhaust manifold to the back of the intake manifold. When the pipe completely brakes, it is way more than a little tick. It is more of a rumble and a flutter when you rev the engine. I capped mine off instead of paying the dealer $500 to replace the pipe.

Here are some videos from my car to illustrate the sound it makes before and after we capped it off...

Before:

After:

Here is a picture of what the EGR pipe looks like on a Gen I. Gen II is a little different, but just so you can see, it's the bronze-ish colored pipe running down the back of the engine:

post-1461-1214779657_thumb.jpg

Wow I didn't know it was so far back there :( is it a pain to get out?? Mine doesn't make a rumble at all, but the is a slight "flutter" sound after you rev it up and the RPMs are coming back down. 2nd vid is "no longer available".

Also.. Is it possible to just clean the EGR valve rather than just replacing it if that's the case?

one more thing.. About how much is the general round abour price to get your valves adjusted, also a new serpentine (accessory) belt??. And what kind of shop is the best to handle a valve adjustment?

Wow I didn't know it was so far back there :( is it a pain to get out?? Mine doesn't make a rumble at all, but the is a slight "flutter" sound after you rev it up and the RPMs are coming back down. 2nd vid is "no longer available".
I hear it is a pain to do this job, but it is doable without removing the transmission. My egr pipe had completely cracked in two pieces, so I unbolted it from the exhaust manifold, bent it in half with a vise, and it has been fine (30 minute repair, $0). Resulting in this piece...

post-1461-1214853667_thumb.jpg

Also.. Is it possible to just clean the EGR valve rather than just replacing it if that's the case?
You can do a little cleaning on the EGR valve, but the valve is not what causes the exhaust noise. A cracked EGR pipe is what causes the noise. I've cleaned my EGR valve before. It didn't do much, but here are the two little holes you can clean...

post-1461-1214853589_thumb.jpg

one more thing.. About how much is the general round abour price to get your valves adjusted, also a new serpentine (accessory) belt??. And what kind of shop is the best to handle a valve adjustment?
I'd be surprised if your valves needed adjusting. Mine were in spec at 270k miles, and I suspect they still are since the engine is so quiet. I wouldn't pay a dime to install the serpentine belt. You can do it yourself in the driveway in less than 3 minutes. I just tried the videos, and they worked. Maybe youtube had an error?

hi blake so its still working for you a crimp on egr tubing :)
LOL You betcha!! It has been on the car for almost 2 years now with no problems at all! It's great to see you on here, Gill! :cheers:

JC, I think what you're describing isn't the egr. Most likely it's either sticky valve guides, valves needing an adjustment or injectors needing a cleaning. There is a difference in the two sounds. The shims above the valves eventually wear against the cams and the increased gaps start making a tapping or eventual loud ticking noise. If you can hear the ticking from inside the car while driving or with the hood closed, then the shims need to be adjusted to bring the cam to valve clearance back to spec. If you can only hear slight ticking while the hood is open and you're over the engine bay, then likely your injectors need cleaning. Another test is whether the ticking subsides as the oil pressures builds up. If it doesn't then it's your injectors. You can try cleaning them with a fuel additive and some 93 octane fuel with some WOT runs or a heavy right foot like when you seafoam. Otherwise you can just ignore the ticking if it doesn't get louder or take out the injectors to clean or replace.

I've used seafoam cleaner in my tank, and through the booster... still ticks.

The tick is always there, it never goes away. You can hear it with the hood closed, however it isn't ridiculously loud..

It seems to tick MORE when I accelerate quickly when it's cold, but still does tick a little when it's warm. And ticks during idle.. that's why I was thinking of having my valves adjusted... I have just never had this done before so I don't know what kind of auto shop is best to deal with this.

• 2 weeks later...
I've used seafoam cleaner in my tank, and through the booster... still ticks.

The tick is always there, it never goes away. You can hear it with the hood closed, however it isn't ridiculously loud..

It seems to tick MORE when I accelerate quickly when it's cold, but still does tick a little when it's warm. And ticks during idle.. that's why I was thinking of having my valves adjusted... I have just never had this done before so I don't know what kind of auto shop is best to deal with this.

I had the same ticking noise you descibed. It was the EGR tube. It is directly behind the top of the intake. the pipe come is connected to the back of it. You can see it just below the rubber water hose. Look from the driver side near the fire wall. It has a smooth 90 degree bend downward.

Mine was broken at the flange. Two little bolts hold the flange to the intake.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I just came across your solution for fixing the noisy exhaust by crimping the EGR tube. My '96 LS400 has the same exhaust noise coming from the back of the engine compartment as you described. Your solution sounds way easier and cheaper than every other fix I have read about. Before I try it, I had a couple of questions: (1) Did crimping the EGR tube cause any noticeable loss in power or fuel efficiency? And (2) Did crimping the EGR tube cause the service engine light come on?

Thanks

• 10 years later...

The valves cannot be adjusted in a normal "turn a screw" manner as they are precision shims that set the lash. When the lifters wear, they require thicker shims to get valves to the recommended .015/.025 lash. The shims cost $$$ for what they are if you can find them as they usually don't wear as they are bathed in oil.