Installing Vais Technology Sli Adapter In 2004 Lexus Ls430

I am considering the purchase of a VAIS Technology SLI Adapter for my 2004 Lexus LS430 -- this adapter will connect an IPOD to the factory head. You can check it out here -- http://www.vaistech.com/home.php

The unit will install using the factory wiring harness, but nonetheless you have to gain access to the back of the unit to access the plugs going into the existing factory radio unit.

Does anyone have any experience disassembling the dashboard of a 2004 Lexus LS430? Are there any resources on-line that will give you any perspective on the level of difficulty, the steps involved, are special tools, required, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any consideration.

Mark

I've disassembled the center console on both my '03 and '05, but did so to pinpoint a rattle. I do have the Vais Tech in my LS, but it's the SLX. My wife has the SLI in her RX. Personally, I wouldn't install it on my own (I had it professionally installed), however it doesn't look too difficult. There's a supplied adapter that you just plug into the back of your head unit. Then you have to find someplace to put the Vais Tech unit, and then figure out where you want to run the iPod cord (center armrest, glove compartment, etc.).

Pulling apart the dash in that area is pretty simple. Just get yourself a towel to protect the wood and shifter surround. Start with the long horizontal piece of wood that has the seat heater/cooler controls and the rear window shade button in it. That just pulls right out, although it will be easier if you open up the little drawer above this piece, which will allow you to get a better grip with your fingers to pull the lower piece out. I believe the next set of panels, which includes the drawer, has to be unscrewed/bolted from the bottom, and then the door that covers the CD changer pops off. Then you have to unscrew/bolt the CD changer unit.

It's not too hard. Just make sure you keep track of the screws and where everything goes and protect the wood finish.

Good luck!

03 is right; removing the trim is relatively easy. I had to do it twice; once to install my Parrot Bluetooth kit and once to install the my SLI. I think it took about an hour to install the SLI.

If you look at the third piece of my parrot posting here you can see what removing the wood trim pieces looks like. I covered my wood trim in masking tape to protect it. Also make sure you don't drop the 3 screws for the small console box/CD player cover as there is a cavern under that part of the car...you might not ever see them again. :huh:

You'll need a 10mm socket wrench to remove the 2 bolts that hold the radio/cd player assembly at the bottom next to the CD player itself. ; and an extender is probably not a bad idea either. Once you've unbolted it the connector you are looking for is directly at the back center; you'll have to disconnect the CD player, put the parrot Y connector in its place and then reconnect the lead going back to the OEM amp.

As for locating the kit my '01 has the dual glove box so I put it in the bottom compartment; and I was able to route the cable out the side of the HVAC housing through the slot that holds the retaining pin and into the compartment; it slightly restricts how much I can open the glovebox but I didn't want to cut anything. I'm not sure what you would have to do on an '04+.

You could also put the ipod in the armrest/center console box; but the cable between the CD player and the ECU might not be long enough to put the ECU there. There is space for the ECU behind the switches for the transmission and under the CD player; you could then route the ipod cable into the center console box. It would be more of a pain to get to if you had to replace it however.

If you want to put the ipod there; the post has instructions and pix as to how to remove the trim surrounding the shifter and the console box itself (that's where I put the Parrot brain). I hope you find the info useful....I've had the Vaistech for 2 years and it's fantastic.

Good Luck!

I've disassembled the center console on both my '03 and '05, but did so to pinpoint a rattle. I do have the Vais Tech in my LS, but it's the SLX. My wife has the SLI in her RX. Personally, I wouldn't install it on my own (I had it professionally installed), however it doesn't look too difficult. There's a supplied adapter that you just plug into the back of your head unit. Then you have to find someplace to put the Vais Tech unit, and then figure out where you want to run the iPod cord (center armrest, glove compartment, etc.).

Pulling apart the dash in that area is pretty simple. Just get yourself a towel to protect the wood and shifter surround. Start with the long horizontal piece of wood that has the seat heater/cooler controls and the rear window shade button in it. That just pulls right out, although it will be easier if you open up the little drawer above this piece, which will allow you to get a better grip with your fingers to pull the lower piece out. I believe the next set of panels, which includes the drawer, has to be unscrewed/bolted from the bottom, and then the door that covers the CD changer pops off. Then you have to unscrew/bolt the CD changer unit.

It's not too hard. Just make sure you keep track of the screws and where everything goes and protect the wood finish.

Good luck!