96 Es300 Check Engine Light

My 1996 Es300 has about 115000 miles on it. The check engine light has recently come on. After speaking with some folks, most think that it is probably time to have one or more of the 02 sensors changed. I would like to find out if this is definitley the case before I go out and spend $80 on a new sensor. My vehicle is from the OBD1 generation so I can't just plug in a scanner to find out the error code. Can anyone give me instructions on how to manually check the code via watching and counting the lights? I understand that the number of times the light will flash will correlate with a code, but I do not know how to make the light flash. Any help would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you!!

My 1996 Es300 has about 115000 miles on it. The check engine light has recently come on. After speaking with some folks, most think that it is probably time to have one or more of the 02 sensors changed. I would like to find out if this is definitley the case before I go out and spend $80 on a new sensor. My vehicle is from the OBD1 generation so I can't just plug in a scanner to find out the error code. Can anyone give me instructions on how to manually check the code via watching and counting the lights? I understand that the number of times the light will flash will correlate with a code, but I do not know how to make the light flash. Any help would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you!!

********************************************************************************

If you have an Advanced Auto Parts or Auto Zone, go there and ask them look at the trouble codes. They'll do it for free (at least that's what the folks on this forum say-and I have no reason to disbelieve them).

If you can find out the part that you need (name and possibly item #s) then go to www.alloemparts.com and do a look up-get prices, etc (or call-see Ria who was quite helpful to me). My bet is that you'll get some good results...

Hope this helps...

Regards

Lee