Buying Ls400 '97 Or '98

cpr_carpenter

Are you that nieve?

yeah that car only does 130....and a olds 442 only had 260hp right?

yeah what i'm telling you is that i have seen with my own two eyes a picture of the gauge cluster on a 2004 LS430 white ext black int with the tach dead on 4000 rpm and the spedo at 160 mph....i'm not making this up nor am i trying to impress anyone...everyone here who has actually driven these cars hard at all will tell you that all those numbers in those brochures are just for the insurence companies....i don't know what size hammer it takes to get that through to you but this is not a new practice...hell GM has been doing it for half a century why can't lexus?

:lol: Well, you might be correct...If you really, truly saw 160 on the speedo...I mean you know some Honda Civics have 140 mph speedos, but might only get there if you dropped it off of space, you know damn well that a Buick GNX - with 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds and 1/4 mile of 13.6 has alot more than 250 phucking hp...(GM's official b.s. numbers) So its not uncommon for car makers to b.s. numbers - I mean do you really think that the Camaro SS had just 305 hp? Or that Supra twin turbo had just 320 hp? Also Ford always like to overrate their motors - I know for a fact that the Triton truck engines dont make no 285 hp like they claim - I've seen dyno tests show rear wheel hp of just 185 hp!

Its just that I've dealt with so many dumbasses who arent detail-oriented and likes to overexaggerate numbers...

you know like stock supra turbo goes 220 mph and all that !Removed!

yeah well i'm a technician and i couldn't tell you the hp on half of the vehicles lexus or toyota makes let alone any of the torque ratings or towing capacities...but i do know that those new LS's !Removed! 'n' Git.

I have absolutely no reason to make this up at all...now if i was the one driving the car maybe then...but i saw a picture of the gauges so i believe the story behind it...besides i work next to the guy who was in the passenger seat so i trust my source.

If you can get the “gen III” ('98-'00) ...... do it!

This is the smoothest, most quiet, well balanced, reliable and classy car out there.

Personally, I think the “gen IIII +” LS is a bit of a sell-out. It looks like the design is intended to reflect the styling of “M Benz”. In addition, the gen IIII + looks a bit like a GS from the side, at first glance, and has lost some of its “touring sedan” feel in exchange for a flashier, sportier image.

I very much liked the fact that the “Big Lex” had it own distinct style and prowess. Gen IIII is almost too flashy. The best part about gen III is that has a “classic-understatement” quality to it and yet there was no doubt when you see it and drive it that it is ..... “All That”.

I think you're the first person that I've heard call the LS430 sporty looking LOL. Everyone always laments the styling because its too heavy looking...

VMF- Have you seen jbrady's stock track times? 14.7 seconds in the 1/4 on a 99 before he started modding.

All LS430s are governed to 131 MPH. It is not possible that the 04 LS430 was doing 160 MPH at 4000 RPM. For one thing, the car would be closer to 5000 RPM at that velocity. I saw my dad's 98 bounced off of the limiter right at 150, 160 is definately not out of reach of the LS unlimited, but the 90--00 (the older LS were never limited to 131 like you said, it was 149 all the way up to 00) is DEFINATELY electronically limited to 149 MPH and the 01-04 LS430 is DEFINATELY limited to 131 MPH, it is one requirement of the ULEV rating. First chance we get I'm sure he'll test out his new 04 and we'll know for sure.

For one thing, why would Lexus change from standard V rated tires on the 90-00 (limited to 149) to H on the LS430 (Limited to 131) if they didnt change where the governer was? Sorry man, they're fooling you.

And one more thing? I cannot recall anytime recently that Car and Driver even included a GM vehicle in a luxury sedan test...

And looking around internet forums will tell you that gauge pics are EASILY faked.

Crp_carpenter,

We seem to have gotten in a lively discussion :D

You can find 98's without the wood package (steering wheel, shift knob) and w/o HID. (ALTHOUGH VERY FEW) These features were all made standard for the 99-00+ because they were So POPULAR. Navigation became available in98.

I could have bought 99 w/ navigation but didn't like the style. Just my personal preference. Check one w/ nav, though, you may like it. It is costly to upgrade as it is a Hard Drive System (approx. $300 and maybe more). First nav upgrade came out around 2000/ early 01 and the newest nav upgrade came out summer/fall of 2003.

Let us know what you decide..

Wow! I was gone for the weekend. Thanks for everyone's response. SW03ES, I appreciate the the detailed difference between the GenII & GenIII. One thing not mentioned is the air suspension. I guess you have to watch out for this on any model?

Also thanks all for letting me know that LS400 isn't that difficult to work on.

I was looking on autotrader(online) in Jacksonville, FL in a 200 mile radius. '98 seem to go for lower to mid 20's, while the 99's seem to go for mid to upper 20's. Somewhat higher than what you mentioned SW03ES. Does that sound about right? Any other suggestions to find cars? Ebay? (I've never used ebay, seems scary to buy a car over internet.)

Thank again to all!

cpr_carpenter,

I bought a '99 LS400 recently and I have to say it's an excellent, feature-packed car. It does need better springs and shocks since the ride's a little "floaty" and the steering somewhat "vague", but I have no doubt that 18" rims, low profile tires, Eibach springs and KYB or Tokico shocks would make this an AWESOME car. I bought my LS from Expo Motorcars in Houston and they have another '99 for sale just like mine. Here's a link if you're interested. The reserve price is usually about $500 under the "Buy Now" price.

'99 LS400 with Buy Now price of $23,985

:)

SW03ES

All LS430s are governed to 131 MPH. It is not possible that the 04 LS430 was doing 160 MPH at 4000 RPM. For one thing, the car would be closer to 5000 RPM at that velocity.

I never thought about that aspect of the 430 being classed as a ULEV...however the 04 is also ULEV rated and it does in fact do 160....and in regards to the the picture being fake..i agree i have scene a lot of bogus pictures...and if it wasn't the guy i work next to that had it...and the fact that it says kodak on the back...i probably wouldn't believe it....i'll see if he wont let me get my hands on it to let me post up here....i doubt he will let me though....

cpr_carpenter

One thing not mentioned is the air suspension. I guess you have to watch out for this on any model?

CPR we are just now starting to see the air ride systems begin to go out on the first gen vehicles....i'm betting if you are in the market for a late nineties LS that you will not own that vehicle long enough to have problems....however should you have problems it is common practice to simply convert the suspension over to a standard spring system....it's half the cost and just as easy for the tech to do.

hope this helps...and hey...just so you know if you get the nav system it's 600 bucks every time you want to update it, cause that nav system works off of a hard drive rather than a dvd. just something to consider when negociating the price. you may want to get an update included should the car have a nav system.

I never thought about that aspect of the 430 being classed as a ULEV...however the 04 is also ULEV rated and it does in fact do 160

Don't buy it, the vehicle still comes standard with H rated tires. They wouldnt put H rated tires on a car that can do 160. The car would need Z rated tires. Now, maybe its possible with the new sport package but I doubt it. I find it seriously hard to believe that Lexus would go to the expense of deigning two completely different ECUs for the sport/nonsport model. It would also mean that the sport model was not ULEV, which it is. It is impossible that the vehicle is goverened above 131MPH.

and the fact that it says kodak on the back

You can print any picture on Kodak paper for $.70, even digitally enhanced ones.

i doubt he will let me though....

If its legitimate then he should have no problem, if its not then I agree he won't let you.

Suggest to him that he join.

Even BMWs wont do 160. Very few cars on the american market that aren't goverened or that are governed over 150MPH. Thats precisely why Lexus governed the original LS400 at 149, because thats where Mercedes and BMW were governed.

I dont believe the original Lexus from early 90s were governed. Limiters were almost non-existent back than - 91 BMW 750il charged to a mighty 158mph, Infiniti Q45 to 153mph, even the 95LS went to an awesome, drag-limited 156mph !

Whatever Lexus claimed for top speed doesnt necessarily imply that the maximum velocity was imposed by a limiter - it's just their track times. Back than they used to be accurate - 0 to 60 in 7.9, TS 149 all verified.

Now the LS430 is always clocking .4 sec slower than what Lexus claims for 01 or 04 model. They also claimed that the 98 GS400 would hit 60 in 5.7 sec, they never did, not even GS430, it was more like 6.3sec...

If I'm not mistaken R&T was able to do under 6 with the GS400...

I remember reading that not long after the GS came out, could be wrong though.

For the LS however Lexus states it is "Electronically limited to 149mph".

cpr_carpenter

One thing not mentioned is the air suspension. I guess you have to watch out for this on any model?

however should you have problems it is common practice to simply convert the suspension over to a standard spring system....it's half the cost and just as easy for the tech to do.

hey...just so you know if you get the nav system it's 600 bucks every time you want to update it, cause that nav system works off of a hard drive rather than a dvd.

Lextech2k3, thx for info, I'll keep it in mind!

And the nav updates can be had for arund $300 if you find them wholesale somewhere and install them yourself. Even though its a hard drive system its fairly easy to do.

The LS isn't expensive to maintain at all as long as you dont have it serviced at the dealer. No reason to. Find a good independent mechanic that services Japanese cars, buy genuine Toyota parts online at wholesale prices (remember Lexus marks EVERYTHING (including bulk oil) up as much as 300%). Places abound on the Internet where you can buy parts from people willing to deal with a reasonable profit margin. My Lexus dealer charges $19 a quart for synthetic oil that can be had elsewhere for $5.30. Lexus CD magazine? $80 at the dealer $25 online. Lexus dealer should be used for warranty work only unless its worth it to you to pay extra to get the free loaner or the pickup/dropoff service (to some people it is).