Lexus Is250/350 3rd Gen Redesign

Hello Lexus Owners,

I'm curious when will Lexus's IS lineup introduce their 3rd Generation. The 1st generation was from 2001 - 2005 and the current (2nd) generation has been around for sometime now (2006, 2007, 2008). Soon, we'll be seeing the 2009 IS250/350. Just wondering if Lexus will introduce their new model in 2010 or 2011?! I currently own a BMW 330i and would like to own a Lexus in the future but don't really like the current one because of it's crammed interior (no offense to anyone) and some blind-spots. I also hear that the IS250 has the image of being a chic-car? (No offense again, I don't mean it, just heard these rumors!!) I like the handling of IS250/350 though, have test-driven it couple of times. The steering is a little bit loose/disconnected, but for some reason I still like it a lot (even if it's a little disconnected). I'm kind of different and like to appreciate the car as it is. I think Lexus will have a really good third generation, with probably good road feel, improved visibility and interior dimensions and an even more aggressive exterior and possibly fix the common inferior dash design (rattles etc.). I really like their styling and I'm impressed with the luxury gadgets inside. If they're coming out with a new design in another 1-2 years, then I guess I'm gonna wait for the model after the 3rd generation's first year's release (so that all the bugs have been worked out etc..) and trade-in my German beast with the Lexus. Any ideas/suggestions when will the third generation be coming out? What do you guys recommend? Is this car really worth the wait? Any regrets of buying the IS250/350 etc.. Anything is welcome!

Sorry for asking too many questions! LOL.. Thanks in advance everyone, I appreciate your feedback!

I know it's a good car as of now.. But best is an overstatement.. How can you forget the BMW? Acura TL? G37? I don't think IS250 stands a chance in front of these cars as of now.. It's too slow and has a really soft design. That's why I see lots of chics driving that car.. maybe you're a chic! sorry!

I know it's a good car as of now.. But best is an overstatement.. How can you forget the BMW? Acura TL? G37? I don't think IS250 stands a chance in front of these cars as of now.. It's too slow and has a really soft design. That's why I see lots of chics driving that car.. maybe you're a chic! sorry!

It's better than the BMW because it actualls runs more than 1 day in 10. (and has an interior designed in this century too)

the IS350 is a better comparison to the TL (well, the TL-S anyway) and the G35 (the G37 is a coupe, two different vehicles)... and the 350 pretty handily beats both in just about every way.... certainly much nicer interior and reliability than either... performance much better than the TL-S and on par with the G35, etc...

When the 350 coupe is out you can compare it fairly to the G37 (and likely favorably)

In any event, the 3rd gen IS isn't likely to see the market before the 2012 model year... they ran 3 years with the current vehicle, the 09s will have a very minor facelift, then likely 3 years with that design, so that puts you into the 2012 model year...

C'mon guys, the guy came in here asking very ligitmate questions. How do you expect to win anyone over with such a crappy attitude? Especially you Rish, you sound like you're about 12 ranting like that...

Sorry about that lexus_awesome, welcome to the LOC.

The BMW 3 is a fantastic car and when it comes to a great handling sport sedan its still in a class by itself. The IS is a great package but its not the best car on the road and there is no best car for everyone.

Anyways I agree, you're probably looking at 2011 or 2012 for the all new model. Keep in mind the IS300 never sold all that well so it had a shorter than average model cycle. The IS250/350 has been MUCH more popular.

My only suggestion would be to wait for the 2nd year of production when the 3rd gen comes to a dealer near you! Having purchased 2 different models of Lexus (IS & ES), both of them in their 1st year production of a new gen, there are inherent issues that always get worked out in the 2nd year. Lexus has been an awesome brand in that they have always stepped up and fixed the issues, but at an inconvenience to me (having to be without my car for a day to three days while the issue(s) are being repaired).

I LOVE my IS 350 and have considered upgrading to the 2010 IS-F next year :)

• 2 weeks later...

They did not find a fix to their car's rattleing/crackling, etc even after 3 years. There are not many who will buy again Lexus after having such experience. A couple of my colleagues were impressed by my IS look and wanted to buy IS but when they heard about these problems they changed their minds. This rattle and noise exist in all Lexus models.

I don't think the noise or whatever exists within the same model and year. I've hear the cracking sound maybe 10 times in almost 3 years and no other noises whatsoever. My entire car is as tight as it was the day I took delivery and runs even better.

I don't think the noise or whatever exists within the same model and year. I've hear the cracking sound maybe 10 times in almost 3 years and no other noises whatsoever. My entire car is as tight as it was the day I took delivery and runs even better.

I don't have any rattles in mine either after 2 years of ownership.

Perhaps you should try another Lexus dealership for the repair? That's assuming that the dealer you purchased your Lexus from is unable (or unwilling) to identify and correct the rattles. I understand dealers love doing warranty work since they're refunded for parts and labor directly from Lexus. I could be wrong, though.

Edited by SW03ES
No more flames, please.

I don't have any rattles in mine either after 2 years of ownership.

Perhaps you should try another Lexus dealership for the repair? That's assuming that the dealer you purchased your Lexus from is unable (or unwilling) to identify and correct the rattles. I understand dealers love doing warranty work since they're refunded for parts and labor directly from Lexus. I could be wrong, though.

I tend to think this is both dealer and "luck of the draw" with the car. I purchased a Year 1 (2006) IS350 in March 08 w/8,500 miles...I'm now close to 12,000. I found 2 rattles (center dash & moon roof), both fixed w/my first dealer visit.

I hear lots about squeaks/rattles and "quality" issues particularly w/06 cars. Now I'm not dumb enough to bet anything on the future of my 350 quality, but w/close to 4,000 personally driven miles I'm quite happy. Happier than my past Infiniti or Acura (TL).

I really congratulate everyone who have problem-free Lexus. However, I can't blame my luck for having problems w/ this car. Nor, I blame all those who have simillar problems for having bad luck. Nor think of bad draw. I acn't blame the dealers either. It's all the manufacturer fault and inferior quality. I was really hoping to see Japanese and particularly Lexus compete with Europians. Lexus has let me and so many others down PERIOD. I changed three delerships. One of the dealers said, "we ca not fix design problems". Yes, some problems, such as A/C odor has been fixed by one of the dealers. However, rattling that could come up from any direction at any time is still there and I can not bear it, regardless it's loud or not, simply because I want what my money worth.

In response to those who think I exaggerate about other Lexus models, my answer is simple, I got my IS in Feb. 06 and every time I take it to a dealership for service they give me a loaner, I had ISs, ESs and RXs, the latest was RX 08 hybrid with 6K miles and had rattles too. My neighbor had LS and let me drove to prove that Lexus quality is worsening all over, it has rattles, too. The only models that I did not drive are the GSs &LFs.

So, again if your Lexus does not not have noises congrats, but please do not think others are dramatizing things or bashing Lexus. I can give Lexus engineers a very simple advice, go and learn from the engineer(s) who make Toyota Echo. I know they wouldn't want to learn from Hyundai.

Lastly, I have been trying my best to stop posting about this issue and will keep trying; but, sometimes my control system malfunctions.

You're holding up europeans while bashing lexus quality?

Um... wow.

Europe, on the whole, has been in the quality toilet for a long time now... look at JD Powers long term vehicle dependability study.

Volkswagon near rock bottom for most of a decade... Mercedes Benz below average for most of a decade... Audi and Volvo well below average... BMW's the only major european brand that was above average more often than not and while you're complaining your dash rattles the 335i owner is complaining his car didn't come with an oil cooler and both his turbos are cooked.

And guess who's going on 14 straight years at #1?

Lexus.

EnginePassion,

I haven't read this whole thread, only this last page. Are you sure you don't have any pens or keys or anything in the door pockets or in the glove box that are doing the rattling? I have also noticed that passengers tend to not pay any attention to the seatbelt conntecor when they take it off, and it can get cocked between the seat and the pillar, hence bounce around on the pillar causing an annoying tapping when you rumble over some railroad crossings or some bumps.

It's funny, I have a friend that owns a Bugatti Veyron, and he complains about the same issues and a few other things as well. 1.4 million dollar car! LOL!! then he jumps in his 2006 IS 350 and drives it to the office. :lol:

Hello Lexus Owners,

I'm curious when will Lexus's IS lineup introduce their 3rd Generation. The 1st generation was from 2001 - 2005 and the current (2nd) generation has been around for sometime now (2006, 2007, 2008). Soon, we'll be seeing the 2009 IS250/350. Just wondering if Lexus will introduce their new model in 2010 or 2011?! I currently own a BMW 330i and would like to own a Lexus in the future but don't really like the current one because of it's crammed interior (no offense to anyone) and some blind-spots. I also hear that the IS250 has the image of being a chic-car? (No offense again, I don't mean it, just heard these rumors!!) I like the handling of IS250/350 though, have test-driven it couple of times. The steering is a little bit loose/disconnected, but for some reason I still like it a lot (even if it's a little disconnected). I'm kind of different and like to appreciate the car as it is. I think Lexus will have a really good third generation, with probably good road feel, improved visibility and interior dimensions and an even more aggressive exterior and possibly fix the common inferior dash design (rattles etc.). I really like their styling and I'm impressed with the luxury gadgets inside. If they're coming out with a new design in another 1-2 years, then I guess I'm gonna wait for the model after the 3rd generation's first year's release (so that all the bugs have been worked out etc..) and trade-in my German beast with the Lexus. Any ideas/suggestions when will the third generation be coming out? What do you guys recommend? Is this car really worth the wait? Any regrets of buying the IS250/350 etc.. Anything is welcome!

Sorry for asking too many questions! LOL.. Thanks in advance everyone, I appreciate your feedback!

1. No one knows for sure when the 3IS will be out. If you are waiting for MY2 (model year) of the 3IS then you are thinking way ahead of yourself. Car designs do not always get better. Consider the Camry and Accord. However, you have put some thought into it by knowing to wait for MY2.

2. Chick car? If you prefer boxy, get a Volvo or a pickup truck. Porsche and Ferrari have some sweet designs too, but a 400HP engine is not that practical for most drivers and would send the price of the car out of many folks' reach. Furthermore, I don't consider "chick car" to be a "rumour." You either feel that way or you don't. I wanted a car that was beautiful inside and out, and it had all the gadgets, you are correct about that. Lexus succeeds on all points.

3. People with rattles complain about rattles. People without rattles discuss other stuff. I've had my '08 IS for 6 months without a rattle. The loaner IS250 and ES350 had no rattles. My bro's ES330 has no rattles.

4. Cramped interior. Get the GS if you are trying to move your family. Friends can walk if they don't like it. I sit in the driver's seat--no problems.

5. No regrets. If my car is totalled I am ordering another just like it. I already looked at BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Toyota, Infiniti, Saturn. Maybe I'd look at Audi, though. I didn't see them before buying.

No one knows about the 3G yet. Here's what I saw on another forum about the '09. I haven't read my Lexus Mag to confirm yet:

Today I received the latest issue of Lexus magazine in the mail. On page 16 they talk about the 2009 Lexus SC Pebble Beach Edition and then have this to say about the 2009 IS:

"Also arriving soon: updates for the Lexus IS. Think turn signals in the side mirrors, a new front grille, 17- and 18-inch wheels, and fresh color options, plus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) in the IS 250. Look for the 2009 IS in dealerships this September."

It doesn't say if these are all of the changes for 2009 or just some of them.