Oil Filter

buckstr

I've recently purchased an LS400 and want to change my oil. My service tech said to take the two bolts off on the palstic panel under the car, I did so but still can't see the filter. Does the car need to be jacked up in order to get to the oil filter?

I have a '93. If you have a '90-'94 then it'll take more than 2 bolts to get to it.

Take off all the bolts and screws that attach the plastic cover under the engine then you will see the filter. I didn't even have to jack up the car.

The filter is on the left (drivers side) of the engine and I think a lot of guys try to just remove a couple of bolts holding the plastic pan on because it's a lot easier then removing the entire pan. That's why my plastic pan had cracks running through several bolt holes. If you want to save damaging your plastic engine under cover, I would take the time to remove all the bolts on the left side of the engine for sure. A good jack and jack stands make the job easier.

Curt

ok i work for lexus and do this daily....and i don't damage a thing!

the two bolts are at the back of the under guard on the driver side....there is even a slit in the guard so you can fold the flap back....the filter is about an oil cooler line and can be a little tricky to see from the ground i'd bet...the easiest way to get that flap out of the way is take a pair of visegrips and clamp it in the folded possition..this free's up both hands to worrk..also you should replace the drain plug gasket at every oil change....