98 Ls 400 Ac Blower Motor Need Help

photoinc

Hey All,

The Ac blower motor only runs at low speed on my 98 LS 400.

Any ideas of what needs to be replaced??

I'm aware that the fan will run at High only when the resistor goes bad.

Did some searching here, and found some examples however people did not reply back to the threads to say that the suggested repair worked or not.

Really would like to get this fixed any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

98 LS 400

Well I figured out what was wrong with my LS and got it fixed.

I had 30 views and not one response to my post.

I must have been the only SOB in the entire world that has ever had this problem.

Would you have preferred to have endless speculation about the cause of your problem from people who don't know? I hate it when that happens. If it makes you feel better, I have been using Lexus forums for right at five years and I do not remember anyone having a problem like you reported.

It would be helpful if you would tell us what caused the problem and how it was fixed.

"Would you have preferred to have endless speculation about the cause of your problem from people who don't know?"

To be honest......Yes! Somebody might have mentioned something that figured into the equation.

The fix was.....I reconnected the phone ECU that I was about to take out, turns out the AC blower motor is tied into the overall Mute system in the car. When you get a phone call the stereo volume goes down, AND the AC blower motor only runs at low speed.

And yes, I believe you have never heard of that because Nobody has that I've talked to, and that includes two Certified Lexus Master mechanics.

So I'll leave the phone in unless somebody knows how to bypass the main mute system.

David

98 LS 400

93 LS 400

Now that you mention the phone ECU, I understand what happened. Yes, when the dealer installed Lexus phone is in use, the blower motor automatically goes to low speed to make it easier to hear the call when in handsfree mode. But I do not remember anybody reporting this as a problem when they unplugged the phone ECU.

To resolve the problem, try connecting the two large connectors together after you unplug them from the phone ECU in the trunk. In cars without the dealer installed Lexus phone, the two large phone harness connectors are attached to the bottom of the tool box housing. You might as well remove the phone ECU as it isn't going to be of use.

You might want to unplug the handset from the connector under the vents you see when you raise the center armrest - doing this requires some minor disassembly of the center console. If you want to remove the handset cradle, carefully pry the insert from the upper console tray to get access to the hardware under the insert -- use a trim removal tool or a stiff well taped putty knife and be gentle but firm since the insert is not available separately as a replacement part. One forum member used a portion of a mouse pad to recover the upper console tray and hide the holes left from removing the handset cradle.

It does not seem to matter if you leave the command module for the phone on the steering wheel although you might be able to get a plastic blank from a salvage yard or a Lexus dealer if you want to remove it and cover the hole.

If you want to install a modern phone kit such as a Bluetooth kit, an audio system mute is the front center pin on the six pin phone connector on the driver's side under the vents you see when the center console is raised. To attach a phone kit's mute wire, strip about a quarter inch of insulation from it, plunge it in to the front center hole of the driver's side connector and secure it with a wire plastic wire tie. Doing this will automatically mute your audio system when you receive or place a call with your new phone kit; this will not, however, turn down the fan speed like the dealer installed Lexus phone does.

I've posted a link to a Word document in the past that shows what the various phone connectors look like. Do an advanced search on my user name and "phone" and you can probably find them.

I found your original info regarding the phone ECU bypass. My original problem started when my stereo went into Mute mode, through searching I found out that bypassing the factory phone will bypass the Mute also. I did it and it worked, I was thrilled, thought I saved $600 on a rebuilt amp. Then the next day I noticed the fan issue. I've had blower fan issues in the past, where it locked up and I banged it with a hammer to get it going again ( a Lexus mechanic suggestion), so I never thought to put the phone ecu bypass with the AC blower motor as a cause.

My car does not have the plug plate under the tool box storage, I do have a silver box, about the size of two packs of smokes, with two connectors coming out of it. One male, one female that match the connectors on the ECU harness. I probably need to plug the harness into that instead of plugging them together.

To be honest.....right now it ain't broke, so I'm leaving it alone for now.

I did put a new blower motor in the car, so now I'm just driving.

Thanks,

David

• 2 years later...

Hey All,

Did some searching here, and found some examples however people did not reply back to the threads to say that the suggested repair worked or not.

Thanks,

David

98 LS 400

Hey All,

Thanks,

David

98 LS 400

David,

You need to replace blower control module which is locate near blower itself. This part, I've heard was you have to go to a dealer to purchase. Let me know how it goes. cmk033@yahoo.com

-- Mike

• 12 years later...
On 6/26/2008 at 11:55 AM, photoinc said:

Well I figured out what was wrong with my LS and got it fixed.

I had 30 views and not one response to my post.

I must have been the only SOB in the entire world that has ever had this problem.

i have the same problem, when i hit the gas it will run faster, i dont think it could be the fuse? heard it could need grounded, i cut the phone cord off maybe something to do with that