Need Help? Smoking

JAYBMONEY

My personal opinion, the type of person who should be buying that car would not be posting on a forum asking about it.

That sounds dangerously close to a personal flame, and not really gemaine to the topic.

What was the pupose of even bothering to post that comment?

Not what we're all here for.

By the way, welcome to the forum JAYBMONEY.

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

Or, in any event, coolant leaking into the combustion chamber.

I'd stay away, unless they are giving it to you as a project car.

Good luck.

My personal opinion, the type of person who should be buying that car would not be posting on a forum asking about it.

That sounds dangerously close to a personal flame, and not really gemaine to the topic.

What was the pupose of even bothering to post that comment?

Not what we're all here for.

By the way, welcome to the forum JAYBMONEY.

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

Or, in any event, coolant leaking into the combustion chamber.

I'd stay away, unless they are giving it to you as a project car.

Good luck.

yea thanks man apprecaite the feed back

ok will B thats exactly wut a froum is about..check out the questions u asked :huh:

{Anyone know where the seat air filters are for the front seat? I checked where I think the manual was directing me, but could only find the seat storage drawer. } errrrrdeeer genius!!!!

My apologies, it was not meant that way. I really meant that you if you are posting on a forum about purchasing a car that smokes, you don't have the expertise to deal with it. It's likely a significant problem and the only people who should be looking in to it are those who can diagnose and repair it. It should not have been taken as an insult - I imagine 90% of the people here should not be purchasing that vehicle, including myself.

could be any number of things, headgasket being the lowest on list of possible suspects.

1. could be condensation in the exhaust, if the owner rarely drives it and/or only ever makes short trips with it. how long did you drive it?

2. could be power steering fluid burning due to a leaky IACV, check the intake tract for any signs of liquid and see if it's short of PS fluid.

3. could be low on gas. my LS smokes when it's under 1/8 of a tank, stopped when I started keeping the tank full.

4. could be that the previous owner was careless and changed his oil every 10k miles,

the first three are easy fixes, the fourth is a waste of a fine automobile. Headgasket failures are all but unheard of on these cars, and highly unlikely unless the car's been allowed to overheat - like pegged to the red.

If it's at start up, then fades away as it warms up, then my guess is a little water in the tank/lines. If it's been sitting on some dealer's lot for a while, and knowing they usually leave those tanks practically on empty, the time and changes of temperature/morning dew/etc... probably has put some condensation into the lines. A simple bottle of HEET will take of it.

But if it's smoking a lot as it idles, and drives, then I'd suggest having a toyota/lexus tech do an inspection of the car for you, if of course you're really serious about buying THAT one.

Jayb, with all the above posts, it should be obvious to you that if you're a handy diy and can assess what needs doing and whether you can do it, then picking up a car with a few problems isn't as much of a liability as someone going in without a clue and relying solely on a garage's input to make their decision. If you're confident as to the problem and your abilities then you've got an advantage that often gets you cars on the cheap, especially if the person selling the car doesn't know as much as you. However, caution is a good course to take. Add it all up. If it's too much, walk away, there are plenty of cars out there in great condition that would require no repairs before cruisin' down the road. Happy hunting.

:cheers:

Smokes when?

On startup?

Going down the road?

What color?

How long does it last?

on startup

white smoke

entire time

White smoke?

At start up?

And the entire time you're driving?

Unless things have changed, or you can give more details, I'll stick w/ my original assessment; blown head gasket and/or water jacket leaking coolant into combustion chamber.

What does the oil look like?

Could an angry girlfriend have poured her drink into the tank?

Sure. It's possible.

Either way- I'd stay away.