Looking To By A Gs300

Hi,

I'm looking to buy the 2nd Gen GS300 - approx 2000 - 2003 year model range so i can get the lower price i'm looking for. I'm a fan of the GS300 styling and of course the 2JZ engine.

I don't mind fixing a thing or two so i was wanting to know what to look out for? I'm very mechanically inclined and mod happy! lol

1. Ive done quite a bit of searching and so far i see window motors and switches are a known problem that go out.

Where is the online site to purchase those at - in-case i need it in the future?

2. what gas mileage should i expect to get with these cars?

3. anything else i haven't found?

This is going to be my daily driver.

thanks so much,

-J

The stereo is a well documented problem - the LCD fails. Cost is about $125.00 to fix if you DIY. The part is readily available directly from Pioneer.

I'm averging about 23mpg (highway) with my 2000 GS300. I just changed the plugs and air filter so I'm interested to see if that bumps my mileage up at all. My GS has over 125k miles on it and runs/looks like new.

Marc

Sweet!

thanks for the reply on the gas mileage MarcGS. I figured it would be in the neighborhood of 23ish.

as for the radio? is that as simple as an aftermarket radio install?? I own a AVIC-D3 in one of my other cars and would more than likely buy one for this car. especially now that you can find D3's really cheap online. Do they sell an aftermarket Double din install kit for these cars? facia and wiring?

edit:

okay, i read another thread on here. seem's like metra makes a facia for double din stereo's but no one makes a wire harness??? is that still true or has someone come out with on recently?

-j

anything else i should look out for..

I'm looking to spend about 10K. I see 2000-2003 models with about 85-109K miles go for about that amount all the time in my area.

also, what about replacement leather.... I'm sure i may end up having to replace the leather on a higher mileage car? maybe?

-j

Hey Jason, I used to have an 01 GS300 that I bought in March '05 with 42k miles on it and had it up until it was sacrificed in a four car accident with my lil sis at the wheel, on Jan 2, 2007 at 90k miles. In that period I had an O2 sensor go bad, and two door lock actuators go bad. I thought it was a great car, and wasn't bad on gas either. I averaged about 16-19 city, and 27-28 on the interstate with the cruise control set @ 80 mph. The leather on mine was in good shape when I bought it, with the exception of the rear of the rear headrests. They were kind dried out from the sun as the car was black on black, and the previous owner didn't have the car tinted and not kept garaged. I kept the leather conditioned and tinted the windows, and I didn't notice any negative changes of the leather while I had the car. Good luck on your search, keep us posted about how it goes. And lastly, Welcome to the LOC :cheers:

The stereo is a well documented problem - the LCD fails. Cost is about $125.00 to fix if you DIY. The part is readily available directly from Pioneer.

I'm averging about 23mpg (highway) with my 2000 GS300. I just changed the plugs and air filter so I'm interested to see if that bumps my mileage up at all. My GS has over 125k miles on it and runs/looks like new.

Marc

You really get 23 on the highway! I have to take the city route to work because my car uses less gas in traffic than at highway speeds. At 70mph the car is running about 2700rpm and I think that is a bit much. I average maybe 13 on the highway and maybe 15-16 in the city. Is there something legitimately wrong with the car or is my mind playing tricks on me?

PS my car has a little over 129k miles and I don't think the spark plugs have been changed in about 60k miles, need to double check service records