Ac Overhaul

python

i am getting ready to overhaul my ac system, i just bought an expansion valve from the dealer....should i do the compressor at the same time? the expansion valve lists for 2.5 hours on my 92 Ls......anyone who has done or had this job done let me know ur experience please

i am getting ready to overhaul my ac system, i just bought an expansion valve from the dealer....should i do the compressor at the same time? the expansion valve lists for 2.5 hours on my 92 Ls......anyone who has done or had this job done let me know ur experience please

Do you have a leak? My ac leak was in evaporator core inside the fan compartment. If it is r12 try to keep it that way much colder. Parts wise change what you need to. If you have the factory repair manual it will walk you right through it. I have read that some of the hoses caused leaks. It does take a little time. Do it right the first time.

1990 Ls400

You don't say why.....

But I would think the compressor and compressor clutch would be FIRST on my list for an overhaul simply due to age or wear.

I think the second item for me would be the EPR, Evaporator Pressure Regulator, valve.

Hey, if you go for it, can you post pictures or the procedure to replace the Evap core? My LS400 also has A/C issues and I've replaced the Compressor, but it didn't fix it. It's still leaking somewhere. I had an A/C shop do a leak test with the dye and all, and they can't find anything! So the final item was the evap core. I've been avoiding that because it's a BIG job in most cars. So I am wondering what it looks like on an LS.

wwest...when i said overhaul, i meant everything was getting replaced.....EVERYTHING.....epr? lol u mean reciever drier? anyways i was posting for responses for anyone who has had theirs replaced and wanting to know some of their experiences......im having a shop do it so there wont be any pics sorry.......my original question was concerning my expansion valve replacement which is located in the dash, i heard moisture could get into the system if its not done all at once.....

Your LS uses an EPR valve to more closely regulate the boiling, evaporative rate, of the refrigerant and also to "quiet" the refrigerant evaporative process, less "noise" in the passenger cabin.

Most automotive A/C systems have the evaporator outlet completely open to the compressor inlet. Your LS has an EPR valve mounted right at the firewall. Be aware that with an EPR the low pressure in the compressor inlet line is often NOT at the same low pressure level as the evaporator outlet, outflow.

To get these pressures close enough to equal to get the guage pressure measurement system to "work" the EPR must be FULLY OPEN. To do that the evaporator cooling load must be as high as possible, HIGH blower, LOW temperature setting, FRESH intake, windows down and/or doors wide open.

I replaced the AC on my 93 LS, about 7 years ago, didn't do the compressor, did everything inside. The car had 110K miles on it. The evaporator is the main source for leaks. It was not a difficult job, just had to open up the dash on the passenger side to get to everything. I did it at my buddies shop, so between the two of us it took about two hours. The AC was nice and cold after that. The compressor just went out last year, after a replacement it's still going strong. My wife drives the 93 now, and it has 170K miles on it now.

David

98 LS 400

93 LS 400

are u talking about the expansion valve located under the dash on the passenger side? part number....88515-50060? because the evap is the reciever drier and it looks like an aluminum bottle.....

are u talking about the expansion valve located under the dash on the passenger side? part number....88515-50060? because the evap is the reciever drier and it looks like an aluminum bottle.....

Was this intended to be "addressing" me...??

"evap is the reciever drier..."

This statement "loses" me completely.

epr valve= what? expansion valve? or reciever drier? reciever drier is located under the hood by the firewall, expansion valve is located under the dash.....

wwest i applogize, u r correct, there is an expansion valve as well as the evaporator located under the dash, the evap looks like a heater core....sorry

ac has been completed, got my compressor from ebay for 265 dollars from klk parts in california, thats 265 with pag oil, reciever drier, compressor and shipping and handling....my ac is 38 degrees f

ac has been completed, got my compressor from ebay for 265 dollars from klk parts in california, thats 265 with pag oil, reciever drier, compressor and shipping and handling....my ac is 38 degrees f

Congrats! :cheers: At that temp better make sure the vent under the steering wheel isn't blowing straight at your boys down there! That's one place I wouldn't want to get frostbite! ;)