07 Is350 Shut Off While Driving...strange Problems.

I just purchased an off lease IS350 with 12,000 miles on the odometer and have started to have some strange problems with it.

First, two days ago the car shut off (dash lights and all) for a split second and then sprung back to life with no apparent reason. No check engine light, nothing to indicate a problem. I was driving about 40 with the A/C on...nothing to strenuous for the IS350. Also it was about 85 degrees

Saturday I started having even more strange problems, on my way home from work same thing happened again, everything cut out briefly and came back on. Shortly after this occured I realized the clock had reset itself, lost my Sirius radio presets, and when I arrived at home only the driver's side window would roll up. I eventually found that the switches on the individual windows worked just fine. I got of the vehicle and hit the lock button, no beep, sounded like the doors locked though, however the driver door had not locked. The lock would not operate with the switch or remote either, so I manually locked it. Later I walked up to the car and grabbed the door handle and it unlocked all of the doors besides the drivers door and beeped like six or seven times.

The car also started and stalled immediately stalled once before I purchased the car, but restarted just fine so I didn't think anything of it. That was the only time it stalled immediately after start up(dash lights and accessories stayed on that time).

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to mine. I'm becoming fearful of driving the car and am afraid the problem will not reproduce itself for the dealer(besides the door lock not working). Also, any idea how might these random problems be related? The car is 100% stock and in excellent condition, it all just seems out of character for a Lexus. This is my fifth Lexus and before this vehicle I've had nothing but the best experiences.

I just purchased an off lease IS350 with 12,000 miles on the odometer and have started to have some strange problems with it.

First, two days ago the car shut off (dash lights and all) for a split second and then sprung back to life with no apparent reason. No check engine light, nothing to indicate a problem. I was driving about 40 with the A/C on...nothing to strenuous for the IS350. Also it was about 85 degrees

Saturday I started having even more strange problems, on my way home from work same thing happened again, everything cut out briefly and came back on. Shortly after this occured I realized the clock had reset itself, lost my Sirius radio presets, and when I arrived at home only the driver's side window would roll up. I eventually found that the switches on the individual windows worked just fine. I got of the vehicle and hit the lock button, no beep, sounded like the doors locked though, however the driver door had not locked. The lock would not operate with the switch or remote either, so I manually locked it. Later I walked up to the car and grabbed the door handle and it unlocked all of the doors besides the drivers door and beeped like six or seven times.

The car also started and stalled immediately stalled once before I purchased the car, but restarted just fine so I didn't think anything of it. That was the only time it stalled immediately after start up(dash lights and accessories stayed on that time).

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to mine. I'm becoming fearful of driving the car and am afraid the problem will not reproduce itself for the dealer(besides the door lock not working). Also, any idea how might these random problems be related? The car is 100% stock and in excellent condition, it all just seems out of character for a Lexus. This is my fifth Lexus and before this vehicle I've had nothing but the best experiences.

The windows and door need to be reset. Just open each window all the way with thier own controller, and then close them, the master on the driver door should work again after that.

It sounds like you may have something that has come loose, like a short in the wiring harness or connector off the push button start. I have heard of symptoms like your, but not at a running speed like you stated.

The windows and door need to be reset. Just open each window all the way with thier own controller, and then close them, the master on the driver door should work again after that.

It sounds like you may have something that has come loose, like a short in the wiring harness or connector off the push button start. I have heard of symptoms like your, but not at a running speed like you stated.

Yeah, I eventually figured the window thing out after doing some reading. I hope it's just a harness...also I just noticed today the front turn signals are not functioning.

I would check the terminals of the battery and make sure they are tight as well as any other power connections. It sounds like the vehicle's power supply is intermittent.

The previous owner might have had some aftermarket accessory connected to the battery and removed it quickly when the car was sold. It is possible that the connections just were not tightened correctly afterwards.

Regards,

I would check the terminals of the battery and make sure they are tight as well as any other power connections. It sounds like the vehicle's power supply is intermittent.

The previous owner might have had some aftermarket accessory connected to the battery and removed it quickly when the car was sold. It is possible that the connections just were not tightened correctly afterwards.

Regards,

I ended up dropping it off at the dealer yesterday, but before I did I check all of the fuses and battery connections and everything was good and tight. I also noticed that all of my turn signals were not operational and that the bulbs were actually blown....weird.

Regards,

I ended up dropping it off at the dealer yesterday, but before I did I check all of the fuses and battery connections and everything was good and tight. I also noticed that all of my turn signals were not operational and that the bulbs were actually blown....weird.

Yes, that is weird. It could be a bad battery I supose. In rare cases, the battery can have internal problems that cause it to have somthing like a "Brown out".

The power coming on and off cause bulbs and other stuff to break.

Let us know what happens

The dealer just called me and explained that the BCU(Body Contol Unit) had failed. So I asked if the BCU had failed and caused the problems I was having or if something else caused the the failure and the answer I got was "Well... the BCU failed so we have ordered one and your car should be ready tomorrow." So I asked again if they knew why the BCU failed and he said "No." I'm very concerned that the BCU isn't actually the problem, but a result of it. I also don't think that would explain all the blown turn signal bulbs like they said. Any ideas on how that might be caused by the BCU or what might be wrong based on the info they gave? Thanks!

Well, my car is finally supposed to be fixed today. The dealer nor Lexus I don't think is exactly sure what happened, this time the said the ECU was bad not the BCM. The service manager said in his 20 years of service he has never seen lights blown out by an ECU failure. Lexus said the car is up to "Lexus specifications" whatever that might mean. So hopefully they have found the problem and fixed it. It sucks though to think I might have purchased a $33,000 problem car.

Here's the latest update. I got the car back on Thursday and all was fine until about 4:00 in the afternoon on Friday when (as I kind of expected) it did it again, power cuts out for a split second an comes back on, once again the clock resets itself, window lights are blinking, turn signals are not working, and this time all of the door locks stopped functioning. I was accelerating uphill going about 75 mph this time. So I called the Lexus dealership and let them know that the problem is not fixed, and decided to go ahead and drop the vehicle off. When I dropped the car off the service manager showed me that the vehicle had a small amount of paint work on the driver's side rear door and rear quarter panel that I did not notice when I purchased the car. They never mentioned the paint work before and it looks very minimal either way, plus the Carfax was perfectly clean, however they said if they determine the repairs were not properly done they aren't going to warranty the repair work (almost $1400 for the previous repair, but was covered by warranty). I'm afraid even if it's not related to the paintwork/previous repair they may still determine it is and I will get to pay the repair and diagnosis cost. Not sure what I should do, the vehicle was sold to me by a dealer stating that it had a warranty (the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty) and doesn't seem to think they should be responsible because they say there is nothing in the back quarter area that could cause that issue. It's all very frustrating....

I think you need to take this up with the dealer who sold you the car. A vehicle losing power at high speed is dangerous. If it was a new Lexus you would be working on a Lemon Law claim if it continued. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I think you need to take this up with the dealer who sold you the car. A vehicle losing power at high speed is dangerous. If it was a new Lexus you would be working on a Lemon Law claim if it continued. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Yeah, I've been talking with them. They say they damage to the rear would be unrelated and I agree, because it looks like the only thing that might have been done is some slight paint work. There are no signs of obvious repair work(did a magnet test to check for body filler). So I think the Lexus dealer is just basically saying they have no idea what's going on. Anybody know what my legal rights might be? The dealer I bought it from, while being sympathetic, doesn't seem to be willing to do much about it.

Yeah, I've been talking with them. They say they damage to the rear would be unrelated and I agree, because it looks like the only thing that might have been done is some slight paint work. There are no signs of obvious repair work(did a magnet test to check for body filler). So I think the Lexus dealer is just basically saying they have no idea what's going on. Anybody know what my legal rights might be? The dealer I bought it from, while being sympathetic, doesn't seem to be willing to do much about it.

I would have the battery replaced if it has not already been done. I had a battery go bad where I could basically put a wrench on the + battery terminal and switch the vehicle power on and off. Something inside the battery was cracked and the battery would lose its capacity. However this was not a battery from a Toyota product.

Good luck

I would have the battery replaced if it has not already been done. I had a battery go bad where I could basically put a wrench on the + battery terminal and switch the vehicle power on and off. Something inside the battery was cracked and the battery would lose its capacity. However this was not a battery from a Toyota product.

Good luck

Yeah, I will probably ask them to replace the battery if they haven't already. Seems like a car that's only a year old should have a good battery, but then again it seems like a car that's only a year old shouldn't really have any problems.

So the issue was the power supply to the ECU? Is it fixed now?

That was just the first repair attempt, it did the same thing again a day after I picked it up. I dropped it off at the dealer again last Friday, still haven't heard any news on it yet this time.

Oh,,,ok, that makes more sense. :)

I'm really curious what this turns out to be. I bought an ECU from a totalled IS 350 and we are looking into the ECU and possible "modifications" and what can and can't be done. I have to say we have been very dissappointed so far. It seems they have purposely put in some safe gaurds and program protections. Not to mention a bunch of new tech that we have to figure out to see about Air/ fuel and timing adustments. I have to say nothing even looks promising at this point.

Well, the car is still in the shop and will be until at least the end of this week or maybe longer. Talked to the original dealer I purchased the car from again and explained my whole long fiasco of a car buying experience and eventually they agreed to repurchase the vehicle even though they obviously have no obligation to. Lexus as of today says that they still consider this a warranty issue(so apparently the whole damage in the rear quarter thing was nothing of concern). So, on Friday I went to retrieve some paperwork I needed from the car to title it and noticed that all the center console trim pieces, my glove box, as well as my driver's door panel are all piled up on my seats, no seat covers, nothing...all my panels and parts are lying clip side down on my seats. I complained to the service manager about it and he didn't seem remotely concerned and actually acted kind of offended that I was questioning his service techniques, so I explained placing objects with sharp corners on leather seats is never a good idea and requested that they don't do that while working on my car even if it wasn't going to be mine for long. I've also been in contact with Lexus corporate regarding the whole situation considering the car will be out of service for what looks like almost four weeks and asked their assistance locating another similar vehicle because very soon I would be out a vehicle, they said they couldn't help with that, but if I had purchased a CPO vehicle they may have been able to do something for me...not sure what that has to do with anything seeing as my car is still under warranty with only 12K miles on it and had what was up to this point an excellent service record with Lexus. I tried to explain that it isn't the dealer where I purchased the vehicle from responsibility to resolve issues I have concerning the factory warranty, but since I didn't purchase the car from a Lexus dealership (because they didn't have what I wanted at the time), I don't seem to be getting any help even from Lexus customer service regarding the whole matter. I don't think I've been unreasonable, I just want a car that isn't going to cause me problems especially once the warranty is up, but I am made to feel like somehow I am trying to take advantage of them by even suggesting that they help me find another similar car or give me any assistance in the matter at all. If this is the "Passionate pursuit of perfection" I hear about on all the commercials I'm beginning to wonder if I want any part of it.

That's just my rant, sorry for the long post!

I can understand your frustration, although the dealership has nothing to do with the Lexus as a manufacturer. So anything they do would be out of thier pocket. The only reason they are fixing the car is because Lexus Corperate makes them do it! LOL!!!

I'm really sorry to hear about your issue though. A car with only 12k miles on it, in a wreck and on a lot for resale in such a short period of time, I don't know, just sounds like there should be more to the story I am sure your not being told. You said it was a lease, a 1 year lease? Somebody somewhere knows more than they want to say. I suspect the entire ECU is bad, and replaceing those are never easy, especially on these cars!

I can understand your frustration, although the dealership has nothing to do with the Lexus as a manufacturer. So anything they do would be out of thier pocket. The only reason they are fixing the car is because Lexus Corperate makes them do it! LOL!!!

I'm really sorry to hear about your issue though. A car with only 12k miles on it, in a wreck and on a lot for resale in such a short period of time, I don't know, just sounds like there should be more to the story I am sure your not being told. You said it was a lease, a 1 year lease? Somebody somewhere knows more than they want to say. I suspect the entire ECU is bad, and replaceing those are never easy, especially on these cars!

Yeah, for some reason the Lexus Corporate thought the dealer would help me with the purchase of another vehicle, which I didn't understand. They let me know today they are replacing the ECU again as well as some MUX controller. They said they had a Lexus engineer come in from Chicago and I guess that's what he determined was wrong with it. It's supposed to be completely done this Wednesday. Finally!!

Looking back on it was a bit odd that it had only been leased for a total of 8 months, however I was told that it was normal for a corporate lease to be short. Not sure about the whole accident thing, had a clean carfax and the dealer I purchased it from seemed surprised to hear there had been some paintwork done to it. I explained that and the combination of it being in the shop for 4 weeks right after I bought it was not acceptable and that was when they agreed to take it back. The weird part about it is Lexus said if it was determined to be collision damage they would not warranty the repair. So I guess the accident and my problems are unrelated.

Now I'm off to find another IS350(I think) similar to mine which so far has been very difficult.

Yeah, find another IS350, and be happy.... I love it when I park at a store or resturaunt, and after dinner your walking to the car and you see it from across the lot, especially next to a new 335 or something, the IS looks sooooo much better! Just be patient, it's worth it.

• 15 years later...

I have a 2007 IS250, my power steering has gone out for a breif moment only when first turning on the car: this has happened twice this week. Then yesterday while driving on the highway my car completely shuts off....NO POWER OF ANY SORT. Had to have it towed to my house. 

Reading on here I am wondering if I should 1st replace the battery, even though its less than a year old, before trying to troubleshoot anything further.

any advice?