Mpg Readout

I was out riding in my new 460 today and after filling up the tank was delighted to find that on good roads I was being told by the read out that I was getting, eventually, 34.2 miles per gal. I was able to maintain that reading for many miles; it only went down when I began entering the residential area where I live. What am I to make of that number; I don't believe it can actually be corrrect. Thanks for sharing your experience with this particular gauge. :rolleyes:

With the 8 speed transmission I can bet you were getting 34MPG at a steady highway speed...

2007 LS460L. I recently returned from a 4000 mile trip. Back roads as much as possible, city and interstate. Drove pretty much the speed limit. I averaged 29.8 mpg for the trip. Highest tank average was 33.4. I have a fairly heavy foot from stop signs.

The high mpg quoted agree with our LS450. Mind bogging. Much better then our V6 Highlander. As I remember at 60 mph the Highlander is turning about 2400rpm. At 80mph the 460 is turning about 1800 RPM. High RPM has a lot of friction losses that eat up mpg.

However-- the spedo lies according to our Gamin GPS in the 460. Appears to be about 2 mph fast at 80. So we are really doing 78. I would assume the distance traveled is also wrong. Thats a good legal question for warranty for lawyers.

We have also noticed a huge MPG drop in States that mandate Ethanol. That stuff is the pits and E85 will cost you up to 5-8mpg in Iowa.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe any of this. I have a month old LS460 & get nowhere near the MPG quoted on this forum. The car reads slightly 'better' than my calculated actual but within statistical margins. Set cruise at 60 on any Interstate you can do a couple of hundred miles on, bet you don't get better than 25mpg. It's a 4.6l engine pulling a couple of tons 34mpg is impossible at 60 mpg!

I don't believe any of this. I have a month old LS460 & get nowhere near the MPG quoted on this forum. The car reads slightly 'better' than my calculated actual but within statistical margins. Set cruise at 60 on any Interstate you can do a couple of hundred miles on, bet you don't get better than 25mpg. It's a 4.6l engine pulling a couple of tons 34mpg is impossible at 60 mpg!

LS460L 2007

Jackson MS. To Waco TX. Interstate 20 and TX 31 about 500 miles. Speed limit or slightly above. When I pulled into my garage the miles shown since last fillup was either 29.8 or 29.9 don't recall which. So either the gages are wrong or it can be done.

What, do you think people are lying?

You can do better than 25MPG at 60 MPH on a 5 speed LS400, you're in 27-28MPH territory then.

The LS460 is a heavy car and a V8, but it has an 8 speed transmission. Thats what delivers such good mileage. I absolutely believe it can get low 30s on the highway.

Believe it.

I had a '98 LS400 and averaged close to 31MPG on a 4000 mile trip. Mostly freeway, usually at 70 MPH, but up to 80 MPH (the posted speed limit) on I-25 in Colorado. The car had Michelin tires inflated to 34 PSI. On roughly the same trip with my current '04 LS430, I averaged close to 30 MPG. This car has Dunlop tires, also inflated to 34 PSI. All trips were 95% cruise control.

You have two definite issues: 60 MPH is too slow for optimum economy on the LS4XX. And... The car is too new and not broken in yet.

You have one probable issue: Ethanol will reduce your milage by up to 5 MPG, depending on the ratio of E to G.

You have three possible issues: Low tire pressure, tires with higher rolling resistance, not using premium gasoline.

Vern

My LS 460 will yield 32 mpg on an interstate highway at 70 mph, using cruise control, with one passenger and baggage for one, using the air conditioner. I'm very pleased with that. However, in-town mileage is more like 15 mpg (perhaps not all that bad). Apparently it takes a lot of fuel to get the car moving from a dead stop!

hate to butt-in but are you guys adding in people and luggage weight, and state of the vehicle(oil, tire and coolant pressures)? All factory tests are completed within 3days of the vehicle coming of the line. Oil, tire, and coolant pressures are in a new state, and there's usually one very thin driver(150/160lbs) or less, and 25lbs of equipment on the car. I'm sure the factory numbers are going to be the best.

Oh, the issue I read about the Garmin GPS and the mileage, it could be a latency or a software issue. It probably wasn't set correctly.

Hmm, the most I've got in my 97 LS400 is an avg of 29.3mpg, and I could have gotten better due to some "young" driving habits ;) haha

Why would people make up MPG numbers?

• 2 weeks later...

12,000 miles 460L, Las Vegas to Marina Del Rey, 1 stop, four passengers, full trunk. 28 mpg over all. 285 miles. For the first two hours we averaged 30.5 mpg with radar following engaged. Then changed drivers, and the 2nd driver did not use the radar following feature. Only gets 14 mpg in LA traffic.