Egr Temperature And Valve Position Sensor

Hello gang,

I hope someone here can help. Last week my check engine light came on...I paid $100.00 for the local auto maintenance shop to tell me that I had these trouble codes: 1411 & 402. They recommended the following:

Labor

Remove and replace egr temp sensor-$89.10

Remove and replace EGR valve position sensor-$49.50

Replace air filter package-$19.99

Remove and replace EGR valve-$49.50

Parts

egr valve-$368.00

egr gasket(2) $5.80

egr position sensor $90.11

egr temp sensor-$309.34

After picking myself up off the floor from the sticker shock I figured that I needed some input. Looks like I'm getting killed with the cost of these parts. And I'm not sure about the trouble codes either.

Has anyone had experience with these problems? Is there a way to verify what the codes are and what they mean?

He contacted the Lexus dealership for quotes on the parts...do we have to use Lexus parts for this?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!!

CP

Mine threw the same codes at one point. No lag in the engine or any impairments, just the Check Engine & Trac lights were on. I figured I'd solve one problem at a time and began with the EGR Sensor - about 55 bucks online. Basically it's the easiest thing in the world to replace (3 screws and a clip at the very top of the engine) and lo and behold, that was what was crapping out. Problem solved; haven't had any complaints from the car ever since. It was recommended by some of my top professionals (some grease monkeys I knew in high school) that I should've replaced the whole EGR, but I took that off, too and didn't see a reason to drop another few hundred to replace it. Hope your story pans out as well as mine did.

Mine threw the same codes at one point. No lag in the engine or any impairments, just the Check Engine & Trac lights were on. I figured I'd solve one problem at a time and began with the EGR Sensor - about 55 bucks online...

Thanks much for your input good buddy. I wish I had your skills when it comes to cars. I wound up getting the parts from alloemparts.com and getting a toyota dealership to do the labor to change out the parts. Got the parts at about 40% from what I was originally quoted. Labor set me back about $210. Had everything changed out today and no more CEL.

Thanks much for sharing your experiences!!

Regards

CP