Ls400 Boaty Suspension?

GNSBRG

Hey everybody, just got this '90 LS400, noticed that the suspension is kind of "boaty" feeling. My comparison is a '97 caddy seville sts. I like the caddy suspension better, as it is firmer but not rocky, but certainly enjoy the LS400. do you think I need new shocks/struts etc? or is that the way it is supposed to be?

Lane

Charlotte, NC

Actually, consider yourself lucky. I am trying everthing I can to get my Lexus to have the factory "floaty" suspension. I have a 1990 LS400 that the previous owner installed "KYB" struts on the rear and the rear suspension is overly firm. The rear suspension picks up ALL bumps in the road, with little "pitching" motions. Also, the rear of my car is very difficult to press down. The car is at the shop as I type this, getting factory OEM Toyota struts installed. I hope this takes care of the problem. If not, then obviously the springs was changed as well with heavy duty struts, so I will have to change those also.

Keep in mind that this car was probably designed to have a softer, floatier ride than your Cadillac STS. If I recall, the STS is kind of like Cadillacs sports car? If so, then it will have a firmer ride. These LS400s are supposed to have a somewhat "floaty" feel. But if your car has severe bounce, I would guess that they are worn. If so, I would recommend getting the factory Toyota (OEM) struts, to have a smooth ride that the car had when new. I am guessing that your suspension is justy fine. How many miles are on it? I think they will typicallly last to about 200K.

Keep us posted.

Well my dad went from an STS to an LS400, the STS is definately firmer. The LS does however ride much better, the STS is jittery and uncomposed in comparison. I dont find the LS boaty per se, but it makes no excuses about not being a sporty car.

Since its a 90 its very possible that it needs new shocks. You can buy shocks for it that can give it more of the ride you're looking for. Push up and down on a corner of the car then abruptly stop, if the car keeps rocking for more than a second then the shocks are bad.

i agree. the caddy has a more sporty suspension package. the ls suspension is more for quite ride comfort. also the car is 13 years old. u can't expect the suspension to be up to par after that many years of driving. my 92 ls has the stock suspension, and i can tell its worn, but still a heck of a lot quiter and smother, that most newer car makes.

Thanks everyone for your good advice. My LS400 has 104,000 on it. I think that probably the ride is as it is supposed to be, it's just different than what I have been used to. definitely better than my 1988 Dodge Dakota! lol.

I am really amazed at the smooth power this baby has. I thought the caddy was quick, but this car just gets up and goes. super responsive. new plugs, new timing belt. I bought this to resell it but I may end up keeping it. It has a real "personal" feel to it.