Quick Question About Fluid

jcrome04

Hey guys so I'm trying my hand at the transmission flush today. I had it done about 5 months ago but I believe the shop used some generic chevron fluid and not the coveted Toyota T-IV. ( Yes maybe I'll make a DIY ;) )

Just wondering.... is it possible to use this fluid for the power steering?? Or is a full synthetic DEX/MERC whatever better??

Thanks again dudes/dudettes :cheers:

also, my tranny dipstick says to use Type-II or equivalent? I'm assuming IV is fine because of all the info on here.

And What do I torque the tranny plug to?? Oil pan is 14 ft lbs... should I do the same for the tranny pan?

I believe Toyota Type IV ATF has replaced Type II and is backwards compatible.

Power steering calls for Dexron II or III. I do not know if Type IV is Dexron II or III compatible. I used Mobil 1 synthetic that says Mercon on front label. On back label, says is compatible with all power steering systems requiring Dexron.

Lexls says to tighten transmission drain plug to 15 ft-lb.

so here's a little "real-time" update! haha. Did my oil change today.

Now I'm onto my 3rd "drain-n-fill" on my tranny. The fluid coming out of there was SO DARK! I can't believe it. I got it done at this local tranny shop like 4-5 months ago and it was BARELY red at all. More of a milk chocolate color. Pics will come soon enough ;) haha

later

J', if you're seeing the fluid that dark, then I'd recommend doing the ole' drain n' fill again soon, like next weekend perhaps, until it starts coming out red. ;)

JC, I drain n' fill the tranny fluid 3 times (2 oil changes apart) every three years. I know some might think it's overkill and unecessary, but it's my choice and my tranny. It's always a nice red colour, shifts smoothly, no slipping, handles WOT perfectly, is very quiet, etc., and I want to keep it that way. Never dropped the pan, don't think I have to. But like NC suggests, if you've got black stuff coming out, I wouldn't wait too long. I'd drain n' fill until it runs clean. Preventive medicine. :cheers:

Always drop the pan and change the filter and gasket. The filter collects a lot of metal shavings and so does the magnets in the bottom of the pan. if you gasket gets too old and corroded it might leak causing more problems. also Toyota T-4 fluid is not used for the Power steering just like Dex/Merc fluid is not used for the trans

Always drop the pan and change the filter and gasket. The filter collects a lot of metal shavings and so does the magnets in the bottom of the pan. if you gasket gets too old and corroded it might leak causing more problems. also Toyota T-4 fluid is not used for the Power steering just like Dex/Merc fluid is not used for the trans

I thought the same thing. But a Lexus tech I know told me that with the drains I do and how clean the fluid comes out every time, that he didn't think I needed to for some time if at all. As for the gasket, I agree if you're dropping the pan you'll have to scrape off the old one and clean it up. Again, the tech said he hasn't seen many leaks from the pan, the rear main seal will leak before the pan will. If you're draining regularly, there shouldn't be enough wear to accumulate any significant amount of shavings that don't get flushed out.

well I filled it back up cold, since that's what Ive read is easier. cold was covered on the dipstick, went home and went back to work in the morning and when it was HOT it still read only on cold, so I added some, ran it, added some, ran it added some, ran it. So it would be hot. Seemed to me to be much easier to do when hot!

I'll finish off my case of T-4 next weekend or something..