'01 '01 Gs300 Wheel Upgrade

My '01 GS300 has stock 225/55/16 wheels (Michelin Pilot A/S) and I would like to go to a lower profile tire. I was wondering if the upgrade to 245/45/17's would make much of a difference in handling. Has anyone made that change, is it worth it. I don't think I want to go to an 18" or greater.

Not really answering your question, but I wondered the same thing a few months back. I decided to stay with the 16" rims mainly due to the fact that tire prices take quite a jump when you go to 17" for some stupid reason.

Not really answering your question, but I wondered the same thing a few months back. I decided to stay with the 16" rims mainly due to the fact that tire prices take quite a jump when you go to 17" for some stupid reason.

Yes, I haven't checked prices yet but I figured that. I just bought a set of winters on 16" rims so now I have two sets of 16's and will probably stick with them. I'm not big on doing mods but may consider a spring/strut mod somewhere down the road.

• 1 month later...

Wider tires will give you better handling, but you will sacrifice some slight ride quality. I put Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks and the car will corner flat with the stock 16's. I bought some 17" rims from an 07 and am going to install those as well.

Wider tires will give you better handling, but you will sacrifice some slight ride quality. I put Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks and the car will corner flat with the stock 16's. I bought some 17" rims from an 07 and am going to install those as well.

I don't know much about the suspension in these cars but do you just need the springs and struts for the front? What's a ball park figure for a spring/strut mod? Are coilovers better?...I believe they are more expensive aren't they.

• 1 month later...

Depends on the cost. If its less than a few hundred bucks I'd say go for it. If not I wouldnt bother. Spending $800 to go up 1 inch in wheel diameter will seem like a terrible idea after you have them on for a few weeks. Might as well spend a few hundred more for some kick !Removed! 18s or 19s.