New Head Stereo Unit....removing Old One

xoom04

my 93 sc400 w/nakamichi sound is pretty good.....however i would like to install an in-dash dvd player and new stereo headunit. the factory dash bothers me in that the whole thing is integrated b/t stereo and airconditinoer. i want to put in the new stereo/dvd syster w/o runining the visual appeal. has anyone replaced the stock stereo and like the way it looks?

The look I like is with the screen mounted in the 2 din location. I think Lex Luther has or had one in one of his SC's - there are a few around. It is truly difficult to make an aftermarket unit look at home in the console there. I honestly prefer the stock head in appearance to most alternatives out there. I had a jvc head (or was it pioneer - gonna have to go look through the boxes of old stuff) in the 93.

jakino, that looks pretty good....did u install it yourself or did u have it installed? if u did it yourself, are there any tips to installing the unit successfully? also, will removing the stock unit just to run wirles behind the dash activate some anti-theft device and runin the unit even if im just trying to get behind it?

ok xoom here is your problem the nacamichi stereo is part of the vehicles security system...in order to replace it..or any of the speakers for that matter you have to bypass that part of the security system...most good quality installers can do this very easilly...however even as a lexus technician i couldn't tell you how to do it. sorry.