What Does Vdo Stand For?

ncmarc

Hey guys, my 93 ls 400 started making this "knocking" sound that I tracked to under my glove box, not too far from my ecu...anyway, when I pinpointed where the noise was coming from, I saw this downward, grey, cone-looking thing that had VDO on it...can anyone tell me what this is?...by the way, it is made by seimans, if that helps. thanks in advance for anybody's help

I don't know what that "cone-looking thing" is but VDO was the premier European maker of automotive instrumentation for a very long time. VDO was acquired by Siemans in 2000 --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_VDO

I remember well that all the instruments in the '56 Mercedes 2-seater I had way back in the 1960s were made by VDO -- including the amusing wind-up clock in the glove compartment door.

Maybe you could post a photo of what you found? It's odd that your 93 LS has something that says VDO Siemans when VDO was not acquired by Siemans until 2000. Could this be some sort of modification a prior owner did?

heres pic..hope someone can helppost-73581-1213735368_thumb.jpg need to know what this part is...it is making weird knocking sound when key is in "on" position...doesnt have to be running to hear the sound though....thanx in advance.

Try pushing up on the bracket. If the noise stops then it's not securely mounted.

Doing that makes a lot of sense. Since supposedly Siemens did not acquire VDO until 2000, the fan might have been replaced and incorrectly installed.