Where Are The Hid Headlights?!

NicLX470

You'd think that the xenon headlights would at LEAST be an option on such an expensive truck. They are not even optional. To me, that is the only thing missing!!! That alone would keep me from purchasing. I had them installed on my 470 but who knows it you'd be able to get it done on the 570 with the AFS. Anybody try yet? <_<

• 3 weeks later...

installing HIDs with the AFS.. good question. Lexus hasnt offered HIDs to their bigger SUVs (even with the GX) because they have the idea that they dont want to blind smaller cars on the road by installing HIDs on their bigger suvs even though HIDs are offered on Ranger Rovers, Escalades, Navigators, Cayennes, Q7s, and GL450s. <_<

I'm as surprised as you also when I found out the Lx570 still doesn't offer HIDs..

• 4 months later...
you can not install aftermarket HID kit in LX570 due to the AFS and there is a light bulb cover on the housing. even with the cover off, the bult will not clear the lense.

What a bummer!!! Well at least maybe you can get the fog lights changed to HID's!!

Here are some pics. It took alot of detail but not necessarily difficult work to get it right. I did have to separate the connector from the wires on the HID kit, drill a hole in the cover of the OEM light housing cover, run the HID kit wires through the hole (the kit comes with a grommet that helped out a bunch), reconnect the wires to the connector on the HID kit and then install everything nicely.

post-864-1228891183_thumb.jpg

Old,

Yes the Adaptive Front Lighting System still completely works. After working on this I found that the AFS's moving parts do not involve the bulb. The AFS is a reflector mechanism that throws the beam in directions it determines is needed.

Dens,

I sold the GX earlier this year. Needed a little more space for the kids and another diamond in the rough to play with ;) ) I've been good, You? I haven't been around here in a while but thought i'd check it out again after starting the mods on ther LX. You still have your GX?

MAC

edddited ccause eye can't spelll.

• 1 month later...

I thought so that you needed an upgrade because of family size hehe. I've been ok. Obviously I'm still around here and I became moderator during the time you were gone.

Yes the GX is still around. Actually it's really spoiled now. Back then we only had 2 cars now we have 4 so the GX is rarely ever used. I think last year we put around 3,000 miles on the GX total (and that even included one out of town trip too).. So very very spoiled I would say lol.

I remember you were the first one to install the Prado tail lights on your GX hehe. Did you have HIDs installed also? I couldn't remember hehe :unsure: What's the temp of the HIDs you installed on the LX?

Here are some pics. It took alot of detail but not necessarily difficult work to get it right. I did have to separate the connector from the wires on the HID kit, drill a hole in the cover of the OEM light housing cover, run the HID kit wires through the hole (the kit comes with a grommet that helped out a bunch), reconnect the wires to the connector on the HID kit and then install everything nicely.

Freaking awesome!! I would now consider getting this truck.........if only I could afford it!!

Dens,

The kit I put in the LX fog lights is the kit that I used on the headlights of the GX. If I remember correct, the kit in the LX headlights is 6500k and the fog lights are 5000k.

Nic,

save up its worth it. With the way sales are going you might be able to get one at a great price. Negotiate hard!

MAC

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for my english, i from Russia.

When you Install HID on your car, did you have a problem with AFS ?

I have install too on the car, and now at me blinks AFS. In what there can be a problem?

It's ok and Welcome to LOC!

Try and message Mac personally when you can. He was the one that was successful at installing HIDs on his LX570 w/o any problems on his AFS. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

OK, I've got HIDs 6000K installed for low-beams and fogs. AFS works just fine on them (personally checked). But the installation guy feared to experiment with HIDs for high-beams as the same bulbs are also used for daytime running lights. He suggested that I put halogen bulbs of 6000K for high-beams instead.

This confuses me as the truck's manual, firstly, confirms that high-beams are also used for the running lights; secondly, it says that the running lights consume half the energy than the high-beams, and, thirdly, it says that high-beams are 9005 bulbs, HB3, 60W and they are already halogen.

So, a few questions:

(1) Anyone got HID on your high-beams, how do your running lights behave?

(2) Do you know which temp color are the stock high-beams? (feels like 3000K; any way, they are much more yellow than 6000K)

(3) Which replacement halogen lights (of 6000K or closer to white) would you recommend?

(4) E.g. I found this on the web, but they are 100W while the stock ones are 60W. I also found some 65W 4000K halo in a local shop. Anyway, I assume using the bulps consuming a higher than designed power may at least blow out the relevant fuses or, in a worse case, get a car computer malfunction or, in a worst case, get the relevant wires burnt?

Thanks in advance for any your advice

• 1 year later...

OK, I've got HIDs 6000K installed for low-beams and fogs. AFS works just fine on them (personally checked). But the installation guy feared to experiment with HIDs for high-beams as the same bulbs are also used for daytime running lights. He suggested that I put halogen bulbs of 6000K for high-beams instead.

This confuses me as the truck's manual, firstly, confirms that high-beams are also used for the running lights; secondly, it says that the running lights consume half the energy than the high-beams, and, thirdly, it says that high-beams are 9005 bulbs, HB3, 60W and they are already halogen.

So, a few questions:

(1) Anyone got HID on your high-beams, how do your running lights behave?

(2) Do you know which temp color are the stock high-beams? (feels like 3000K; any way, they are much more yellow than 6000K)

(3) Which replacement halogen lights (of 6000K or closer to white) would you recommend?

(4) E.g. I found this on the web, but they are 100W while the stock ones are 60W. I also found some 65W 4000K halo in a local shop. Anyway, I assume using the bulps consuming a higher than designed power may at least blow out the relevant fuses or, in a worse case, get a car computer malfunction or, in a worst case, get the relevant wires burnt?

Thanks in advance for any your advice

If the high-beam housing is a reflector instead of a projector, you tend to get light where you don't want it as well as perhaps blind other drivers due to light scatter. I'd think high beam color is about 3000K-ish.

Running lights won't work if you replace the oem bulbs with HID's. Running lights simply connect the high beams in series and there's also an added resistor in a little perforated metal box.

100 watt halogen bulbs draw about 8-9 amps, 60 watt lamps consume 5 amps. If you're concerned with wire gauge or fire, use a relay...simple

My experience?

Replacing the low beams with 6000K HID's was probably, other than the shop manual, some of the best money I've spent on the truck. With the low's on, switching on the high's gives very little increase in beam distance. Prior to the low beam hid's, the low beams were some of the crappiest I've seen as far as throw and illumination.

I've never had a blown fuse with the HID's, but they run through a relay just in case.

If you're really serious about illumination, fit some GE 4309 100 watt landing lights as driving lights. ;)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Steve, I've just returned from leave and read your post with interest.

From my experience, 6000K for low beams are great -- they don't seem to blind others and provide me with great vision at night -- unless it's raining. If it's raining, I cannot see any light from them on the road (as all the others with 6000K report to me). I wish I went for 4000K or so.

Stock high-beams (halogen) still seem good to me, if you don't focus that they produce a much more yellow light than the HID low-beams. Am not a perfectionist, will probably leave it as is...

Thanks, Steve, I've just returned from leave and read your post with interest.

From my experience, 6000K for low beams are great -- they don't seem to blind others and provide me with great vision at night -- unless it's raining. If it's raining, I cannot see any light from them on the road (as all the others with 6000K report to me). I wish I went for 4000K or so.

Stock high-beams (halogen) still seem good to me, if you don't focus that they produce a much more yellow light than the HID low-beams. Am not a perfectionist, will probably leave it as is...

Eugene...you're welcome and thx for your service.

My low beams are fine in the rain...blowing snow is a bit of a challenge and if we had more of it up here I'd be looking at low-Kelvin temp. deep yellow fog lights. My high beams are noticeably cooler than the lows. The HID lows are far beyond oem low beams imo.

HID's for the fog lamps also made a big difference...not so much on a clear night, but much better peripheral throw in fog...helpful in snow and sleet.

Current so-called "best" high beam lamps without adding a projector lens (like oem low beams) are HIR bulbs...there's pages of stuff about them on Mud.

Steve