Cooling System Leak

dchapp2001

:(

In three days I have two lexus's down with coolant leaks. One was radiator. I fixed that. I have an LX450 that is leaking fluid as fast as I can put it in. The leak is on the driver side at back of engine above starter and under manifold. Looks like a hose. but I cannot hardly see the cause much less get my hands on it due to the starter and other objects.

I do not have a cooling system diagram. Does anyone have any idea what the source of the leak might be and how best to attack the fix?

• 3 weeks later...

:(

In three days I have two lexus's down with coolant leaks. One was radiator. I fixed that. I have an LX450 that is leaking fluid as fast as I can put it in. The leak is on the driver side at back of engine above starter and under manifold. Looks like a hose. but I cannot hardly see the cause much less get my hands on it due to the starter and other objects.

I do not have a cooling system diagram. Does anyone have any idea what the source of the leak might be and how best to attack the fix?

It's been dubbed the PHH (pesky heater hose). It's about a 2 1/2" long piece of hose that comes off the side of the engine block, into a metal line that runs up and into the heater valve. It's in an awkward/hard to get to location hence the PHH monicor. I replaced mine a year or two ago as PM, because they are known to fail and can leave you high and dry.

I think the best way to get to it is to remove the driver side wheel and shove yourself up into the wheel well with your back against the brake calipers (use some padding). Cut the existing hose clamps off with a dremel. You need to loosen the upper and lower bolts for the brackets that hold the hard metal line in place. Most people replace the hose with silicon heater hose which should last a lot longer than the OE and constant torque hose clamps (made by Breeze). You can get these at Napa.

• 2 months later...