Higher Wattage Bulb

Hey Guys,

Was just wondering if any of you tried any bulbs (low beam) that are higher than 55watts and wanted to know how that went.

I tried the Xenon and other BS bulbs but I realized that blue light doesn't illuminate any better than yellow light...if not worse.

My friend put some 100watt bulbs in his civic (stock is 65watt i think) and it looks really nice and bright without being blue.

Main question I'm asking is, will higher watt bulbs melt the wire harness?

If yes, what is a way to get around this without buying true HID?

Alright, from what I've heard higher wattage bulbs CAN melt your harness, I actually have never seen this. Also people have said that they make your headlights yellow faster, This I have seen, but couldn't tell you for sure if it was from the bulbs or not. Silverstar's are nice, but if they aren't higher wattage, they aren't brighter. If you want true higher wattage bulbs, just replace the wires on your harness with bigger gauge wires. That would be the best, and safest way to go out it. www.clearcorners.com has a big thing with links about different headlights and bulbs, I'd read that if you haven't already. It's pretty informative.

I have tried the high wattage bulbs which is illegal to use in many of the states on a 2000 Miata. Wattage was 85L/100H (some rated at 90/100) and it did increase the brightness at a cost. It is really cheap stuff and one of the light bulb burned after few months of usage. Observation during the replacement of the bulb, I found the reflector shield that sits right in front of the bulb had changed to purplish color an indication the bulb was too hot. Besides the shield changing color the rubber seals that goes on back of the bulb was almost stuck to the housing an indication the rubber experienced meltdown. There is much information on the web that compares the lights and its usage if you want additional information. I have heard the wires leading to the lights melting and destruction of the housing because it gets so hot. I believe it can do that during prolong usage. In conclusion, do not take a chance with the higher wattage bulbs, and Sylvania Silver Star and others with 55watts output will have same amount of lights generated. It’s just a perception since the standard light bulbs are built on same or similar construction. With that said, SilverStar look the same as GE Superblue which 2x the price. I have Superblue on my SC but have SilverStar on the minivan. When I have to change the light bulbs on the minivan again I would not replace it with the SilverStar. SC lights in general are not very good may be in part because of the obstruction of the plastic housing. Newer Lexus have clear housing and seems brighter with wider coverage.

I know some companies make brighter bulbs and some make dimmer (blue) bulbs but as long as the bulb is 55Watts it can only be so bright.

I took the 9005 bulb in 9006 socket approach which basically means replacing the low beam (55watt bulb) with the high beam (65watt).

There is a little plastic thing on the 9005 bulb that prevents you from doing this but with a chisel and some patience I removed the guard.

If you plan to go this route and stick to it, i recommend replacing the 9006 harness with 9005 (will save a lot of chisel work).

I haven't yet noticed the difference in brightness but I did notice that it spreads a lot wider, illuminating more of the road.

I would have taken some pictures for you guys but of coure I couldn't find my digi-cam and I was in a hurry (as always).

If you plan to do this and anything is confusing, drop me a line and I'll help you out.

DO NOT EVER PUT A HIGHER WATTAGE BULB WHERE IT SHOULDN'T BE!

a vehicle fire is not worth the risk just to be able to se an extra 6 feet.

the right answer is to buy a top quality 55w bulb...believe it or not the best ones i've found have been on ebay and they replaced all of the bulbs ( low, high , and fog)

50 bucks for all of it CHEAP!

btw don't buy your bulbs from the dealer it's a rip..also in case you don't know don't ever touch the glass...the bulb will get a hot spot and last about ten seconds then blow if you do.

believe it or not the best ones i've found have been on ebay and they replaced all of the bulbs ( low, high , and fog)

50 bucks for all of it CHEAP!

First of all, 65watts in place of 55watts is not a big enough difference to start a fire.

Second, I tried the eBay approach and ended up with bulbs that lasted exactly 3 weeks and 4 days.

I will agree with you on the fact that blue lights reduce visibility instead of improving it but until I can afford an HID conversion, I'm gonna continue researching a way to use even higher wattage bulbs (aim is for around 80-90 watts).

With a proper wiring harness and careful monitoring I am confident that nothing will burn.