The Stereo

Have any of you totally changed your stereo systems? I haven't, but I'm wanting to. I get tired of the 12 disc changer in the trunk I want just a single disc player. As far as the speakers, what kind of modifications do they do to get A/M speakers to fit? I don't want to take it to just anybody to get one installed. My choices are Circuit City, Best Buy, or h.h.gregg. Any info is appreciated.

post-3-1071172804.jpg

Personally, I trust zero of the places you listed. They will hire any idiot with a screwdriver. I suggest finding a specialty shop, or learning how to do it yourself. I hate running wires more than anything on a car, but I'd rather slave for hours running wires than trust my car in the back of Best Buy, Circuit City, or H.H.

ok..i have no idea what an a/m speaker is but in general to replace the door speakers up front you do have to do a nice little trick to make it work...see the stock speakers come in there own little sealed resonance box...the whole thing goes in the door and it's not even close to being round....so what you have to do is make a template of the hole in the door and make a metal inlay with the right sized hole cut out of it for the speaker and then just screw it in wher the stock speaker goes...as far as on the rear deck those are just standard 6x9s i believe...and then if you go all out and put a sub in the trunk you should remove the stock sub completely and leave that hole open so the aftermarket one can hit against the rear glass....and the last little pain in the wazoo is if you have the nacamichi system in your car that radio is tied into the cars security system ..and guess what..if you take it out and don't bypass it ..the car won't start...but if you have the standard premium system it's really easy to just change it all out. this modification as long as you don't have nacamichi in your ride can be done in an afternoon in your drive way with a few basic tools and some sheet metal....it's really not hard to do at all.

also if you change your head unit make absolutely sure that it is turned off...when you remove that outer ring you have to unplug the volume/power control button..when you do this the radio goes to full volume and will blow all 7 speakers!

as far as the cd player is concerned that can be easily unbolted and unplugged and the wires just left behind..they won't hurt anything or cause any problems behing just unplugged. (and if you are creative enough you can reuse the factory mount for an aftermarket cd player).