Low Brake Pedal

RCRFAN3

I have a 98 LS 400 Ihave had a somewhat low brake pedal on it for sometime now. It stops fine ,it has new pads all the way around and new rear calipers, The brake fluid is clean and bleed properly, If I clap off all 4 rubber lines the pedal is rock hard and if I take off the clamps one at a time it goes down the same each wheel. I would just like the pedal a little higher and harder. The car has 145,000 miles and is perfect shape! Very well maintained

Thanks, Jeff

I have a 98 LS 400 Ihave had a somewhat low brake pedal on it for sometime now. It stops fine ,it has new pads all the way around and new rear calipers, The brake fluid is clean and bleed properly, If I clap off all 4 rubber lines the pedal is rock hard and if I take off the clamps one at a time it goes down the same each wheel. I would just like the pedal a little higher and harder. The car has 145,000 miles and is perfect shape! Very well maintained

Thanks, Jeff

"..take off the clamps..."....???

If you did exactly what that statement implies then IMMHO you now need to HURRY (RUN don't walk..!!) out and buy/install 4 new rubber/flexible brake lines.

I'm sure the brake pedal height issue can be eaasily addressd mechanically.

The pedal "softness" is the result of VACUUM power assist and the relatively high volume of fluid that needs to be moved into the brake cylinder bore(s) when you initially apply braking.

The LS is a relatively heavy car and an upscale one to boot, TOP of the HEAP upscale. It has/REQUIRES POWERFUL braking and thereby requires STRONG application forces that cannot be reflected (luxury aspect) in the owners need for heavy brake pedal foot pressure.

I don't know at this time if the '98 had BA, Brake Assist, but if it does then under certain instances you will get even more than vacuum boost to aid in depressing the brake pedal.

If you really desire a hard pedal then simply remove the vacuum line from the brake booster.

Is there such a thing, device, that can be used to reduce the level of engine vacuum that reaches the brake booster..??