Vibration At 60-70 Mph ?

gxman

is it a vibration or a kick...if it's a kick then we do have a fix for it...as far as a vibration...i'll check our service bullitins on monday if i think about it and check back to ya...btw the kick is felt when you let off the accelerator or keep a constant speed at highway speeds i.e. 60-70mph.

hey if you do have the kick tell them you want your drive shaft lubed..if they look at you funny check back here and i'll write up the proceedure for them..it's not a service bulletin yet i don't think...so they may honestly not know how to fix it yet...

I have the same vibration. Was worse at 50 miles on the Odometer, now have 1100 and I still feel it. It is a power applied issue.

The vibration feels like the balance in the center differential is off but it just couldn't be. It feels like it's at the center of the car/truck. The more gradual power applied, the more you feel the vibration. It's all in the 55-75 MPH zone. Lift your foot and it almost completely goes away. I felt it in the Dealer's demo in Greenwich CT. had 1200 miles on it. Now I feel it in mne. NOT happy. A $52K vibrator that needs premium fuel. Where's Larry Flint when you need him? :censored: I'm sure he could find the problem... maybe Hef.

RF

ok take the truck to your dealer and tell them to do the following...(the should know what to do without this but who knows)

1.) separate the rear driveshaft

2.) clean the splines on the driveshaft with brake cleaner

3.) put valve lapping compound on the splines of the shaft

4.) rapidly slide the two halves of the shaft together and apart several times till you see a patern form in the lapping compound

5.) thoroughly clean both sides of the drive shaft splines and use GM i temp grease on the splines

6.) repeat step 4 till the two halves slide nicely together

7.) reinstall driveshaft

Lexus will not admit this fix to the public (yet)...don't ask me why.

I dont have the kick either. Its just vibration.

My local tech says the fix is a intermidiary steering shaft, driveshaft damper and a muffer mod.

Heard anything of this ?

Lexus still not admitting anything. More wondering if anyone has actually fixed this issue.

ok take the truck to your dealer and tell them to do the following...(the should know what to do without this but who knows)

1.) separate the rear driveshaft

2.) clean the splines on the driveshaft with brake cleaner

3.) put valve lapping compound on the splines of the shaft

4.) rapidly slide the two halves of the shaft together and apart several times till you see a patern form in the lapping compound

5.) thoroughly clean both sides of the drive shaft splines and use GM i temp grease on the splines

6.) repeat step 4 till the two halves slide nicely together

7.) reinstall driveshaft

Lexus will not admit this fix to the public (yet)...don't ask me why.

Ok, I took mine to the dealer for the kick and they did what you mentioned about lubing the driveshaft. It corrected the problem for the last 1500 miles but the kick has started back up again. I am really getting frusterated with this lexus. It is my first and will more than likely be the last. I am getting ready to take it to CARMAX to see how much I will lose on a trade in....

I also have this exact vibration problem on my 2004 GX470 that I just bought. I brought it to the dealer with 19 miles on it. Then drove it some more now 90 miles on it. They are still unsure of the problem or fix. They think its bad balancing or a flatspot in the tire. Can you share any recent feedback you have gotten from lexus ?

Also, lets get together on this through email...my email is

dsurowiec@comcast.net.

There are many posts on this actually. Its a BIG problem for the GX's. Lexus corp wont admit anything....really strange. They say they havent even gotten 1 call ? I read 100's of folks here have the problem.

Its NOT a kick, its really a vibration(vibrating steering wheel, seat and a noise) really feels like a drivetrain problem.

Anyone got this resolved at the dealer ?

• 3 weeks later...

The VW Tuareg in the british CAR magazine had a similar noise that was thought to be due to an unbalanced propshaft or diff gone AWOL issue. Eventually, they replaced the tires with a new set (different brand) which solved the problem. The mechanic claimed tha tthe original set suffered from radial runout (ie eccentricity). Now, with so many owners complainying about the same problem, I doubt it's such a simple issue...

Lexus corp wont admit anything....really strange. They say they havent even gotten 1 call ?

why doesn't everyone in this thread ring / write to Lexus, then share their information here (name, date contacted etc).

Then if Lexus say they haven't heard of it - anyone can say "Well I know for a fact that you have been contacted on

<date> by <name> by telephone

<date> by <name> by letter

etc etc

Just talk to a Lexus rep. and they are pointing fingers to whoever make the steering, tranny components. Lexus knows about this problem, There are about 6 vehicles still sitting at a local dealership for this problem(sorry can't tell the dealership name). The clients don't want the car back unless they are fixed. Yeah right....Let's talk about the A/C shall we? This is getting ugly. That is what Lexus get when they are cutting corners.

www.jpimportz.org

Went to the local dealer to pick up a new 2004 gx470. Took it for a drive - steering wheel vibration noted every time I tried to accelerate. Salesman had me try another demo - same vibration problem. Cancelled my order. Would like to know if they fix the problem.

• 11 months later...

denslexusgx470

Posted Yesterday, 07:00 PM

MY VIBRATION IS GONE!!!

Did it go away by itself, or did the dealer do something? Is this still an issue in 2005 model builds?

:wacko:

i don't know if the 05s still have it, but i don't know what my dealer did to the vibration, but they fixed it at the first try! unlike my clunk,.... :chairshot:

There is a fix for this problem. Various frame dampners, new skidplate, steering shaft and Michelin tires. Dunlop equipped tires are the main cause. This fix works as I have installed many at the dealer I work at.

There is a fix for this problem. Various frame dampners, new skidplate, steering shaft and Michelin tires. Dunlop equipped tires are the main cause. This fix works as I have installed many at the dealer I work at.

I have the Bridgestones on mine, with about 2,000 miles on it now..an 8/04 build date. I've never experienced the vibration at all, or the drivetrain "thunk" that earlier build owners have mentioned.

Wow, this is almost as bad as telling people you are a doctor :D So, now that I have your attention, what's your theory as to why some trucks have the "thunk" and others don't? Have there been any changes made to the drive shaft design on the 2005 GX?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2004 ES330 with the same vibration problem you guys are describing. After MANY attempts to fix the problem at the dealers, the dealer is now lying to me saying they dont feel the vibration anymore. I went to arbitration and found out 2 days ago, that I lost. The arbitrators say i failed to show the problem. It is a slight vibration, but the driver can feel it, and I hate that I spent so much money on this piece of .... I guess this means court now, so if anyone can help me....Id greatly appreciate it.

I have a 2004 ES330 with the same vibration problem you guys are describing.  After MANY attempts to fix the problem at the dealers, the dealer is now lying to me saying they dont feel the vibration anymore.  I went to arbitration and found out 2 days ago, that I lost.  The arbitrators say i failed to show the problem.  It is a slight vibration, but the driver can feel it, and I hate that I spent so much money on this piece of .... I guess this means court now, so if anyone can help me....Id greatly appreciate it.

I have Bridgestones on my ES330. There is absolutely zero vibration at any speed. There has to be a tire balance or possibly an alignment problem. One thing you may want to try is take your car to another Lexus dealership and have the vibration checked out or if that's not feasible, a Toyota dealership. I'm not sure what the credibility of the large chain tire/alignment shops are in arbitration or court.