Thanks

DrJfrmLA

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thanks for a civil and helpful forum. I have an '04 LS430 and I also have an '04 S430 Mercedes. I visit two MB forums for the same information and help that I seek here. The difference is the folks in the MB rooms seem to enjoy insulting one another, especially newcomers who ask naive questions because they are trying to learn. Here there seems to be a fair tolerance for the "stupid question" and a genuine interest in helping solve problems for one another. It's a night-and-day difference.

Congratulations to you, and thanks again.

This forum rocks because every owner here knows that the LS is a CLASSIC !!!! :lol:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thanks for a civil and helpful forum. I have an '04 LS430 and I also have an '04 S430 Mercedes. I visit two MB forums for the same information and help that I seek here. The difference is the folks in the MB rooms seem to enjoy insulting one another, especially newcomers who ask naive questions because they are trying to learn. Here there seems to be a fair tolerance for the "stupid question" and a genuine interest in helping solve problems for one another. It's a night-and-day difference.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I've found that the fewer repairs needed for a type of car...the nicier the owners seem to be.... ;) That's why we're a happy bunch over here! That, and the fact that you can buy a 15 year old car, spend a few hundred bucks in new fluids and a few mounts, and be right back to new driving status for the next 100k miles!

Not to knock the MB owners of the world, as they truely are beautiful cars to look at and drive! But, if I had spent that much money on a car, only to have as many problems as they seem to produce, I'd be pretty ticked off too!

Same goes for BMW owners. I *BLEEP*ed off a chick the other day by telling her how reliable Lexi are, because she got a 98 BMW convertible and has had quite a bit of troulbe, not to mention the top has broken TWICE. She got so offended I was teeling her BMWs aren't very reliable. I kept listing off reasons why the LS is such an amazing and reliable car. CIVILY if I might add. I was never rude or sassy to her. She was getting so steamed and offended!

I eventually had to tell her "It's nothing to be offended about. It's just truth based on fact."

And about the civility and genuine attitudes of the member here, I totally agree with nc211. People with "lesser" cars I think feel the need to have an attitude to back up their vehicles. My buddy got an 06 VW Jetta GLI in Dec. of 06. (It now has +34k miles 1.5 years later) He has had that thing back to the dealership for warranty work so many times. Many brake problems, already had the water pump fail, the brake booster failed, one of the rear calipers failed and locked up on the rotor (mind you it's a 2hr drive to the dealership he purchased it at), and at one time the fabric was falling off of the center armrest in the rear. just to name a few!! haha. I always give him crap about it :) considering my LS has almost 145k and no problems! (knock on wood!)

Oh and always remember, a stupid question is the one not asked! ( but always try to search first :lol: )

Oh and by the way everyone.. this is post #1000 for me!!! I'm glad it was a good one!! :D

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers::cheers:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thanks for a civil and helpful forum. I have an '04 LS430 and I also have an '04 S430 Mercedes.

So now that we know what you think of the two forums, how do you compare your two luxo rides?

• 2 weeks later...

J-

Same goes for BMW owners. I *BLEEP*ed off a chick the other day...

Hey. You may be the first guy ever to do that!

:D ;)

And about the civility and genuine attitudes of the member here...

Is second to no board!

Oh and by the way everyone.. this is post #1000 for me!!! I'm glad it was a good one!! :D

:cheers::cheers: :cheers::cheers:

Da*n ! And by the time I see this you're already up to 1043!

Congrats!

:cheers:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thanks for a civil and helpful forum. I have an '04 LS430 and I also have an '04 S430 Mercedes.

So now that we know what you think of the two forums, how do you compare your two luxo rides?

They are both wonderful, different experiences. I had an ES 300 and a GS300 before the LS430, so I knew first-hand the legendary reliability of the Lexus brand. I also owned a 280 SEL 4.5 and a 300E before the S-class so I knew what to expect there (though there were decades between the MB and both the Lexus were trades for the current cars). The LS430 is all this forum says it is; tomb quiet, plenty quick, good handling, and loaded with coddling for the passengers and driver. The S-class is the gold standard in luxury sedans you might actually be able to afford. I'm partial to the Benz because I like the adjustable suspension and the more aggressive handling--and it seems like it's carved out of billet steel. It comes with a few more standard features (nav and Bose sound, the adjustable suspension, e.g.) but the build sheet on the MB is over $20k more than the Lexus (even though the Lexus has the Premium package and the Benz is a base car). If you equipped the Lexus with the premium gear, it would be close to the Benz in price and equipment. My wife likes the softer ride of the Lexus. I like the German switchgear and the ability to tailor all the convenience features, where the Lexus adjustments are more limited or things aren't adjustable. The mileage on both is about the same; I'm averaging 22 in mixed driving with the Benz and she is averaging just a bit less. It's apples and oranges to some degree. She doesn't have a great affection for the Benz (it's too German with all that implies), and I prefer it. I'm happy to ride with her and enjoy the comfort. She feels the same.

Objectively, the Benz attracts more attention and deference than the Lexus. As fine a car as the Lexus is, and I have no question it probably has greater reliability, there is an undeniable "presence" that comes from more than 100 years of history with the S-class. Between the tri-star hood ornament and the sheer mass of the thing (even though they both sit in the same space in my garage), it gets noticed. It may be that I live in a fairly affluent area and there are lots of LS430s and lots of C and E class Benzes, but not too many S classes.

I bought the Lexus first, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I'm enjoying the S class a lot, but whether I'll have a steady diet of them will depend on my experience (great so far) with this one. Compared to a Benz, a Lexus is a bargain to maintain and repair.

That was probably way more answer than you bargained for. Thanks for asking.

Thank you for such an elaborate comparison. We all know the shortcomings of both brands, but to read a detailed post from such a positive perspective is interesting and refreshing. Heritage does have it's attraction. Too bad it hasn't quite survived in the same fashion for another prestigious mark, Jaguar.

post-6904-1214021946_thumb.jpg

Dr J, That is my carport with an 06 S600 V12 and My 08 Ls460..And of course my 47 GMC Rod. I find myself in agreement with you as to the MB... a Class ride. The 460 has most of the MB amenities less the 520HP and handling. The 47 has the rumble to stop your heart and the LS has the attitude of reliability. I favor all three and agree with your assesments. If I could figure out a way to blend the three, then there would be a fine driving machine. And of course the Smoker is my pride and joy..Oklahoma Joe. :D

post-6904-1214021946_thumb.jpg

Dr J, That is my carport with an 06 S600 V12 and My 08 Ls460..And of course my 47 GMC Rod. I find myself in agreement with you as to the MB... a Class ride. The 460 has most of the MB amenities less the 520HP and handling. The 47 has the rumble to stop your heart and the LS has the attitude of reliability. I favor all three and agree with your assesments. If I could figure out a way to blend the three, then there would be a fine driving machine. And of course the Smoker is my pride and joy..Oklahoma Joe. :D

RF: That's a nice trio of rides. Too bad you can't see much of the hot rod. I've spent many an hour staring at the innards of a small block Chevrolet or trying to figure how to get a Ford 9" to mate with some misfit engine/trans combo a friend has shoehorned into something way to little for it. The new ones aren't much fun for a Shade Tree. At this point in life, I enjoy letting somebody else get grease under their fingernails (although all the sissy techs I see wear gloves so they won't mess up their manicures). I'm thinking about selling my tools; they're just taking up space and I'm not about to put a wrench to anything in my garage beyond changing a bulb or a filter. Sorry I got off track.

I think Lexus would like to put something on the road like the 12 cylinder Mercedes, but it makes no sense at several levels. The demographics aren't there for sure. thanks for sharing the garage. :cheers:

DrJ I agree completely. I've sniffed around several benz forums over the last year or so and I agree there are certain....individuals who seem to expend energy only on disparaging others and trying to shout down (literally) other people's posts. For the most part we don't do that here. The people here at LOC are much more civilized...it was one of the reasons I considered and eventually bought the LS.

As for the Benz/Lexus comparison Mercedes has done a wonderful job over the last 20 years of buildling the brand into a truly aspirational brand. Every year at the LA auto show the MB booth is packed with teenagers; wheras the Lexus booth seems to be less crowded and populated with an more adult demographic. Many of the kids at the MB stand I'm sure will probably never walk into a dealership to buy a new Benz--but they still want to get their picture taken in the cars; whereas most of the people at the Lexus stand seem to be people who would actually walk into the dealership.

That said I have to admit I'm entertaining the idea of a w140 benz for a weekend car. It's big, it's inefficient; but it's probably the most over-engineered car ever made. It was a direct response to the first LS400; and I think in many ways inspiration for the LS430. Most of the engineers that participated in the project were fired for the tremendous cost overruns incurred when developing the car. But it does have a certain presence; and it's the last of the old-world Benzes that established the brand in America in the 70's and 80's.

Fear not however because the LS will be going nowhere. As it cruises towards it's three year anniversary without a single problem (save a burned out CHMSL bulb) I appreciate it's quiet and polished demeanor more and more. There's no other car I would want to slog it out with on the freeways and traffic here in LA.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I hope one day to have an 80's style 560SEC in my garage as my hobby car. But, I'll go into that knowing the repairs and upkeep will require disposable income of 3x's the purchase price. But, I do agree on the history of the MB brand. I LOVE the smell of that leather...My dad still has a 1985 500 SEL from Italy, and although the seats are too floaty "Italian model", and technology is ancient....going down the road in that mother led-sled has not, will not, and can not, be duplicated. MB hit a funny patch several years ago, where building buy hand was costing too much to sustain profits, enter Chrystler's involvement...and exit the ledgendary realiability. But, I'm sure that's on it's way back.

I do want a MB some day, hopefully not too far off. If for nothing else, to say that I've had one and can relate. But when I do, it'll be that 80's style, or possibly early 90's. And I'll have to be at a place where $10k can be set aside and my time can be spent, on saturday morning repairs. I was actually thinking today while on the way back from the coast how much fun it would be to have a nice older car my son and I could spend time working on. I'm a BIG fan of the show Home Improvement. Tim The Tool Man Taylor is one of my idols! 'course, so it Forrest Gump...so go figure... :lol: