I Got One!

B-n-B

Well, we spent the weekend driving 6 hours one way to buy a used 2003 Lexus LS430 ... and then had to deal with tornados, closed highways, and frog-choking rain on the way home.

See my previous post (Miles vs. Years) ... for some of the decision making thrashing around.

It has about 75,000 miles on it, silver, and has a few cosmetic issues, as well as a few known issues (like 1 missing and 2 broken parking sensors, some wheel corrosion, and some paint scratches) ... but we got it "on sale" as it was just going to auction, so unless the dealer who is checking it over today comes up with some expensive and scary items, we feel ok with the known repair costs. I think it's a similar case to the house buyer that can't see past the bad wallpaper job (at least I sure hope that is why it wasn't sold -- the sales guy assured me that was the case, and they always tell the truth, right. HAHAHAHA).

Where is the video that tells me how to use my car? ;) I haven't felt this dumb since I got a Herman Miller Aeron chair at work with about a billion adjustment settings. I must say, the Nav was very helpful with figuring out the 30 mile detour on I-57 yesterday.

I've been reading on the forum for a few weeks, and there is a lot to learn. I saw a wiring diagram somebody posted for the parking sensors the other day, so we may investigate trying to replace the missing one ourself (ordering the parts from one of the websites that are recommended on this forum) -- looks like that's an all parts cost item. Hopefully the wiring harness is in there ... not sure how you LOSE the sensor ... ?

Here are a couple pictures (if the links work):

2134826630068777569S425x425Q85.jpg

note the missing sensor on the rear bumper

2079673480068777569S425x425Q85.jpg

Just had to share the joy!!!

Well, we spent the weekend driving 6 hours one way to buy a used 2003 Lexus LS430 ... and then had to deal with tornados, closed highways, and frog-choking rain on the way home.

Congrats! :cheers:

Now what you need is nice weather and a nice scenic road for a long leisurely cruise to get to know your "new last car" as VB describes it. If you're like me, you might even wind up sitting in it in the garage for hours, listening to the tunes and checking out the instrumentation while your wife is frantically looking for you. :whistles:

It's funny, I looked at the photos and said "oh yea, that's my car" ... we got home Sunday evening, dropped it off at the Toyota dealer for a once-over on Monday morning, and haven't seen it since. Should get it back tomorrow evening. It look a long time to get things straightened out with the selling dealer about the diff vent and so forth, so they didn't actually start any work until today. Passed on the brake job, since the rotors were just machined in January (800 miles ago), the original deal assured me that the rust was "flash rust" from sitting and would wear off with normal use. You guys probably knew this, but you can only machine your rotors about twice before they get too thin and will need replacement next time ... seemed like I'd rather save up that machining for when I really need it.

We're going to take it on a road trip to New Hampshire in a few weeks, so that will hopefully be a fun time to test it out.

I think I'll need hours in the garage to figure out how everything works. :-D