How To Turn Off Daytime Running Lites?

rjt65

Any way to toggle off the daytime running lights?

Whe it is 95 degrees I dont see the benifit, does anyone like DRL's?

cheers

the only way I know of is to is to depess the parking brake a couple of clicks before you start the

car.

And drive with the parking brake on? I wouldn't.

You'd have to physically go in and disable them by either pulling the fuse or something like that. I'd just get used to them.

I don't like them, but I don't dislike them. I don't understand the correlation between the outside temperature and using the DRLs?

The benefit is people subconciously notice your car oncoming much sooner with the DRLs, thats proven fact.

Not Direct temperature correlation ..meaning (I live in LI NY) our winters are grey sky, cold less sun... when it is 95 degrees (Like now in this heat wave) it is sunny from 6am to 8:30 PM the DRL I see as no use.

when Sky is grey sure they offer some use.

sorry to confuse all.

Well, I've seen the studies myself. Doesn't matter the time of day or the ambient light, the DRLs make your car more noticable on the roadway.

In practical terms, you'll wind up !Removed! the car up and voiding the warranty to try and disable them. I think they're dumb looking too, and my ES actually has a DRL OFF switch on the turn signal, but if your DRLs are off you loose the AUTO function so I just leave em on.

hmm u have 2008 es? I am pretty sure when I turn all off Auto my DRL's stay on..I will check again to see if that is on the turning stick.

thanks all

PS - I did see in the other website (Lexus Club) a way to do it by splicing wire adding a cutoff switch, etc but I wouldn't do that (yes u would void all warranties)

Well, I've seen the studies myself. Doesn't matter the time of day or the ambient light, the DRLs make your car more noticable on the roadway.

In practical terms, you'll wind up !Removed! the car up and voiding the warranty to try and disable them. I think they're dumb looking too, and my ES actually has a DRL OFF switch on the turn signal, but if your DRLs are off you loose the AUTO function so I just leave em on.

Any way to toggle off the daytime running lights?

Whe it is 95 degrees I dont see the benifit, does anyone like DRL's?

cheers

I'm getting rid of my DRL, ABS, Traction control, seat belts & air bags. Then I'm stripping all the padding off the dash..and getting rid of the air conditioning and power steering. I want my kids to get the feel of what it was like to ride in a car like my Dad had in 1957 :lol: If I have to panic stop with them in the front seat I'll just put out my arm to shield them from the force of 20G's throwing them against the dash & windshield like my Mom used to. Today's Mothers need to learn the "safety arm" manuever like my Mom & Aunt had down to a science. Oppps almost forgot...power brake booster...definitely has to go.

No, mine's a 03. My point was that the older models did have an OFF switch, and even then I leave it in AUTO because its a pain to have to remember to use the lights. My point was you get used to them.

Ok thanks.

2008 model pretty sure you can't turn off on the 08's unless you splice and install your own secret switch. Not worth that to me, I wll leave 'em alone.

No, mine's a 03. My point was that the older models did have an OFF switch, and even then I leave it in AUTO because its a pain to have to remember to use the lights. My point was you get used to them.

What is to get used to? It's not like you see them while you are driving. :rolleyes:

Hmm my previous reply seems to have been lost in a a black hole so sorry if 2 posts come back here.

I do see them all the time in my garage door, when I park at stores or at my gym i see my reflection in the glass, i see them in the cars and trucks in front of me at stop lights.

Reminds me of when i see them on other cars I say y do they need to be on when it is so friggin bright out? Thus my want to shut them off, but I can live with it I guess! :(

What is to get used to? It's not like you see them while you are driving. :rolleyes:

Almost all cars have them now, and all of them will soon. Been the law in Canada for years.

Its not to illuminate your path, its to make your car more visible to oncoming drivers.

Almost all cars have them now, and all of them will soon. Been the law in Canada for years.

Its not to illuminate your path, its to make your car more visible to oncoming drivers.

Exactly! The GM testing showed that even impaired drivers in the oncoming lane will see you. If you have ever been hit head on like I have, you would never think of disconnecting them. Trust me on this one. But since you'll never know the accident you didn't have they seem like a nuisance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all:

Found this http://www.lightsout.org/story.html

from the anti-DRL group. Interesting other side of the fence. what do all think? SW what study data have you seen supporting drl's in the US ?

Take a look at this site and links.

Summary: Purporting that DRL's data used is accurate in Scandinavian countries due to lower lighting conditions, but not applicable for US.

NHSTA did not support DRL's but than changed their mind after petition from General Motors over 5 years 87-92. So declined for 5 years than changed position to allow. NHSTA overides state law, so now DRL legal in all states

So conspiracy theorists jump in here---$$$$ motivation.

Interesting background and info.

thoughts people?

quote name='SW03ES' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:44 AM' post='313504']

Oh I know, I've seen the study data on the subject there is no question that they work.

All you have to do is google:

http://www.swov.nl/rapport/r-97-36.pdf

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...0103_179336.htm

There are plenty more, just have to look.

This is from the NHTSA:

How effective are DRLs? Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine U.S. states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists

When you look at all the "conspiracy theorists" they don't have any factual data to back up their claims that DRLs don't reduce accidents, or that they cause accidents. All they say do is say the other data is no good, and offer no proof thats the case.

I went to the dealer ship yesterday, LONGO LEXUS in El Monte, CA and asked to have the daylight running lights turned off and they refused, they said it's a safety feature and that LEXUS does not do that at their dealerships. Is this true?

or what do i need to do to have them turned off?

DRLs, high mounted brake lights, and any other illumination that decreases the likelihood of my meeting my maker due to the inattention of somebody else is money in the bank for me. Short of a flashing light bar--and maybe even that--I'm willing to tolerate a little cosmetic penalty for some marginal increase in the probability I won't be the victim of carelessness. Think of all the fools that drive around with their fog lights ablaze. While it looks silly on a bright sunny day, it probably provides the same or more effect than DRLs do. The ones on my LS and on my S430 MB are not what I would call marks against the good looks of either car. The S-class does have a driver option to turn them off in the convenience menu, but I happily leave them lit on the chance that it will keep me out of harm's way. We all have a lot to live for, so why not take advantage of a safety feature that has been demonstrated effective?

Here, Here DRJfrmLA!!! I will take even the slightest advantage I can get when behind the wheel. It need only be an advantage realized for a second to make it worthwhile. If the car doesn't have DRL I turn on the headlights.

I think you are foolish if you do anything to disable the DRL. I fact, I might go so far as to suggest legal action against you in an accident if it can be proven that you purposefully disabled a safety device.

No Lexus dealer should refuse to deactivate DRL if it is a customizable feature on your car -- no U.S. federal or state law requires DRL.

Politely explain this to the dealer.

I think DRL's are a wonderful safety feature but I've decided that I don't mind if others turn them off. The same people who don't like DRLs probably won't wear seat belts or put their children in car seats and are more likely to hold a cell phone to their ear while driving. Darwin called it "natural selection". It's time to "thin the herd" and stop protecting people from themselves.

I suspect DRL's will be a moot point when all cars have automatic headlights that turn on in low visibility conditions -- a proposed federal safety standard that some will likely complain about - and try to defeat - if implemented.

As I said in past threads, I've been driving with headlights on or DRL's every single day since the 1960's after several near head-on collisions when people didn't see my little silver Mercedes 2-seater and tried to pass oncoming cars on 2-lane highways -- and after I read about the early DRL studies in northern Europe. Turning my headlights on seemed to eliminate the near misses but maybe that was a coincidence.

I"ve never personally known anyone who wanted to turn their DRLs off. But most of the people I know are unusually smart and educated people.

I was surprised that the U.S. spec Toyota Sienna I rented from Hertz in Detroit last week and drove 800 miles around southern Ontario didn't have DRL -- I checked when I got home and saw that DRL is an option on the U.S. spec Sienna. So I drove with the Sienna's headlights on during the day ...