Save Me From The Looney-bin

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

My wiper blades are driving me mental!! lol

Is there any way to quiet them down and to keep them from making such a horrible noise? They're brand new - OEM blades. I bought them from my Lexus dealer. The only time they're quiet is when there is a LOT of rain. But anything less than an all-out down pour - they're noisy. REALLY NOISY!! I'm trying to think of a word to describe that noise. But I'm sure you know what I'm getting at. Unless the windsheild is as wet as wet can be - it sounds as though they're bone dry and the blades are fighting they're way across the glass.

I hope that makes sense because I just can't think of any other way to describe it!!

So.. any helpful hints would be ... well.... helpful!!

Thanks

Craig!! :blink:

hey, jus try to use them at different speeds. i usually set them at the lowest possible. there are 3 positions plus i can configure time intervals when they are set to work on the lowest speed.

Are the blades 'hopping' in one direction ?????? That is what makes the most noise and may be what they are doing. This is caused by the blade not pivoting all the way on a wipe stroke.

If so, you will need to note which way the blades are hopping, then park the blades all the way to the left on the windshield. With a cresent wrench adjusted for the thickness of the arm, twist the arm so that the blade will be in a flipped position to wipe the way it wasn't wiping. Note that this adjustment shouldn't be so much as to cause the blade to hop in the other direction.

If you don't understand all this, wait until other posts explain it better; or you are clearer on exactly the noise is.

I have the same problem at times and will look at the new teflon blades next which may solve this problem-but am not sure if the teflon is new blade inserts(20 & 16") or you have to get the whole assy.[ inserts and the metal holders]???

Think my problem is caused also by the pitted windshield causing a drag for the blades at 'low' rain quantities.

Thanks everyone!! :)

I'm going to seriously consider EVERYTHING that was suggested.

I found what YOU said - tansupplyman - especially interesting. My wipers DO seem to be stubborn when it comes to 'flipping'. Trouble is - I can only understand about 90% of what you suggested I do to fix that!! Where on the wiper arm - for instance - should I 'twist'??

But before I do anything - I better take an even closer look. [when it's NOT raining so hard!!]

Craig!! :D

ps I just had a vision. My next message will be - "How does someone replace a broken wiper arm!!" lol

Craig--I left that 'open' for someone else.. ..

Now that you are considering it, could someone explain it in maybe some other terms.

I have just grabbed a blade with both hands and twisted it so the blade would 'laydown'inhe 'hopping' direction.