Brake Pedal - How Far Should It Go?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

The brake pedal in my '93 LS seems quite 'soft'. When I'm stopped at a light [for instance] it's quite easy to push the pedal down to within an inch or so [maybe even less than that] of the floor. My Lexus service guy says that my brakes are fine. Are they?!

How does YOUR brake pedal feel? Does 'it' seem to 'sink' quite easily if pushed a bit?

Thanks

Craig!! :)

Hi Joe!! :)

Thanks for the response.

Yes - I'll do that. In fact - the owner's manual [i discovered!!] is surprisingly detailed when it comes to checking the brake pedal clearances and so on.

I'm comforted by the fact that YOUR brake pedal also 'sinks' pretty close to the floor. I probably have nothing to worry about.

Craig!! :)

In the '94 manual, it specifies a minimum clearance of 3.1" from the front of the brake pedal to the floor behind the mat, after jamming the brake pedal with 110 lbs of effort, and engine running.

I don't believe that any modern braking system requires pushing the pedal close to the floor - too much pedal travel for shorter folks.

As an aside, many old British Leyland trucks and buses had electric brake systems - frightening vehicles indeed when the brake pedal was pushed flat to the boards, and the tires were not yet shrieking. Sometimes you had to throw the handbrake in order to get maximum braking effort!

Mick