Daylight Running Lights

MotoMac

I have 2004 RX-330 that I bought in the States and then took overseas when I was transferred to Kuwait. None of the Arabian-specification cars have Daylight Running Lights. Unfortunately, mine does and I am constantly having people yell at me or tap on the window at street corners to tell me my lights are on. The manual says that the dealer can turn them off. Had I known about the hassles, I would have had it done before I left the U.S. The dealer here does not know how to turn them off...probably because their cars don't use them.

Does anyone know how the "turn-off" is done? Is it something the DIY can accomplish or do I just resign myself to all the yelling/tapping?

Cheers,

Mac

I recall a post on how to turn off the DRLs. You will have to do a search. I believe these is a switch underneath the battery tray. Sorry that's all I can recall but I do know it can be done.

There is a fairly high wattage DRL voltage dropping resistor mounted directly under the battery tray in my '01 AWD RX300.

But I vote for ignoring the "your lights are on" folks in favor of the additional safety factor of the DRLs.

i would agree with leaving the DRL's on. The reason that manufacturers put these in cars is becuase the average driver is too ignorant to knwo that they should put their lights on so that others can see them in bad weather or low light conditions. Usually the bad driver is thinking more about if they can see rather than is they can be seen...

Leave em on and stop worrying about the fact that they aren't extremely pretty. (I was wishing they were bluer)

• 6 months later...
i would agree with leaving the DRL's on. The reason that manufacturers put these in cars is becuase the average driver is too ignorant to knwo that they should put their lights on so that others can see them in bad weather or low light conditions. Usually the bad driver is thinking more about if they can see rather than is they can be seen...

Leave em on and stop worrying about the fact that they aren't extremely pretty. (I was wishing they were bluer)

I couldn't care less if they're pretty...was just tired of constantly being told "your lights are on!"

Finally went with the recommendations to leave them on, since obviously they get people's attention!

Cheers,

Mac

I couldn't care less if they're pretty...was just tired of constantly being told "your lights are on!"

Finally went with the recommendations to leave them on, since obviously they get people's attention!

Cheers,

Mac

The "irritated attention" is probably not the kind of attention I would chose to draw. I personally hate them and glad the state I live in does not require them, I would probably risk the ticket by disabling them.