Gs350 Autosense Windshield Wipers

Well Lexus lovers, I need to rant a bit more about the rain sensor windshield wiper system. We have had an extremely wet winter & spring this year and I am reminded daily how poorly the rain sensor system works on my GS350. It can be pouring rain and the wipers won't switch on for nearly 30-40 seconds. At other times, they switch on and stay on at high speed for about 15-20 seconds in a drizzle, and then switch off for 30-40 seconds. And sometimes, the system actually works ok. So I am forced to use manual wiper mode and that means I must switch it on and off like in a $10K economy car. But even these cars now have intermittent windshield wiper operation. And Acura, Jeep, and others give you the option to disable the rain sensor mode and switch to intermittent mode. Lexus refuses to even acknowledge there is a problem (I have been on the phone with them twice), preferring to leave this one on the dealers door step. And yes, dealer acknowledges the problem and says there is nothing they can do. This smells like a class action law suit. A class action law suit over a windhield wiper system. Good grief!!!!

Well Lexus lovers, I need to rant a bit more about the rain sensor windshield wiper system. We have had an extremely wet winter & spring this year and I am reminded daily how poorly the rain sensor system works on my GS350. It can be pouring rain and the wipers won't switch on for nearly 30-40 seconds. At other times, they switch on and stay on at high speed for about 15-20 seconds in a drizzle, and then switch off for 30-40 seconds. And sometimes, the system actually works ok. So I am forced to use manual wiper mode and that means I must switch it on and off like in a $10K economy car. But even these cars now have intermittent windshield wiper operation. And Acura, Jeep, and others give you the option to disable the rain sensor mode and switch to intermittent mode. Lexus refuses to even acknowledge there is a problem (I have been on the phone with them twice), preferring to leave this one on the dealers door step. And yes, dealer acknowledges the problem and says there is nothing they can do. This smells like a class action law suit. A class action law suit over a windhield wiper system. Good grief!!!!

I have to chuckle at your posts. Now mind you, I don't mean that in a mean way.

I have a 3rd generation GS as well, with all the same features, and think the car is actually quite comforatble and totally not the beast you make it out to be.

But in all honesty, if the car bugs you that much, sell it and give us a rest.

steviej

I have to chuckle at your posts. Now mind you, I don't mean that in a mean way.

I have a 3rd generation GS as well, with all the same features, and think the car is actually quite comforatble and totally not the beast you make it out to be.

But in all honesty, if the car bugs you that much, sell it and give us a rest.

steviej

Steviej

I won't argue that the GS350 is comfortable, has a good ride and has great curb appeal. But it's the details that make a truly superb automobile. And the GS350 has some serious problems when it comes to details. Maybe I am too demanding. But this is one of the few automobile I have owned that is truly disappointing. I have owned Porsche 911, Acura RL, BMW 540 M, Mercedes Benz AMG, Jeep GC, Land Rover (disappointed), Jaguar (disappointed), Toyota Avalon (boring), and Infinity GS (not impressed).

Yes, my GS350 is for sale. No doubt I will take a huge loss.... In the meantime I will continue to manually operate my windshield wipers.

A class action law suit over a windhield wiper, now I have heard it all. I have no problem with the rain sensing wipers. Sometimes it does fall asleep, I just turn it on in manual then back to auto and everything is fine, but it doesnt happen that often. The dealer can also change the auto sensing adjutment to just plain old intermitent adjustment, but no matter what they do, I have a feeling you wont be happy. You didnt like your GS the day you bought it, and the wipers is just another excuse to get rid of it. My advise is to just sell it and never buy another Lexus again.

Gentleman, have I struck a nerve? By the way, have you heard this one. I read it the other day on some other auto enthusiast web site. "The GS350 has a fat arsse and beaky snout". I got a kick out of that one. Made me laugh out loud.

To the point, I was joking (you know, humor) about the class action law suit. Do you have any idea how much work it is to pull together a class action suit? I do and it ain't gonna happen....

Point two, as of two months ago, one month ago, two weeks ago, and today, Lexus of Portland and Lexus of Seattle know of no such option to disable auto sense and enable "just plain old intermitent (sp) adjustment". Nor does Lexus/Toyota. Perhaps you can point me to a dealer that performs this procedure so I can put them in touch with my dealer.

Point three, perhaps you don't live where it rains almost every day. I do (Portland, Oregon) and unless you do also, you have no idea what you are talking about. It's annoying to fool with the wipers every 30 seconds or so, especially when you are with clients. Rain is our life up here and the last thing you want to have is problems with your wipers.

Point four, I will use this forum any way I see fit to say good and bad about my GS350. It provides a nice database for search engines like Google and, hopefully, will help get word out about some of the not so pretty details about the GS350 that you folks don't want to talk about. Shame on you....

Finally, there is a lot I like about my GS350. It has a nice ride, is reasonably quiet (run flats aside), has good power, cool looking instrument cluster, beautiful Rosewood trim and leather, good breakes (even with low dust pads and per TSB), and has a good solid feel. Mine (Silver w/Black Leather and chrome spoke wheels) is probably one of the most pampered automobiles in the Pacific Northwest. It is detailed once a month and serviced like clock work. You would never know this car has left the showroom. I am an auto enthusiast beyond what most of you folks would even dream about. So I know what I am talking about when it comes to automobiles. And it's the details that separate the great ones from the good ones. The GS350 could easily be a great car if Lexus would just pay attention to a few details. This is at the heart of my disappointment.

So I know what I am talking about when it comes to automobiles.

Nobody ever said you didn't know what you were talking about so calm down. As a matter of fact, it never crossed my mind. I am sure you are vey knowledgable about any car you own and many other cars. What we are saying is that you !Removed! about "your bad" stuff too much. Your points are well taken on every aspect including the rain in the PNW but rain is rain and we have it too. By the way, my wipers work perfectly, at least for me. You said it yourself in another thread that you were too demanding. It doesn't matter whether it is a Lexus, Acura, Infinity, MB, BMW, Bugati, Rolls Royce, or Hyundai, anyone can find a defect or lack of attention to detail if they look hard enough.

Member123, you are welcome to use this forum in anyway you see fit and say whatever you want about your GS350 as long as it falls within the rules and guidelines of the website. Don't worry you are not in any danger of breaking any rules. I say that becasue I am management and I have to whenever anyone says "I will do what I want". However, as a fellow enthusiast, if you constantly tote on the downers, no one will want to play with you anymore.

You find the car of your dreams some day, we all will.

steviej

Member123, I must say your sense of humor is very dry at best, please dont quit your day job. If you are the auto enthusiast you claim you are, I am sure you can find a way to fix the rain sensing wipers. I have and I am not half the auto enthusiast you claim to be. If you live in a area that rains all the time, there are solution for that as well, but I am sure you know about all of them already.

This forum would be useless, if people just come here and say nice things only about their GS, but at the time, no one wants to hear people complaining about every little thing. I say you dump the GS since its only a good car and not a great one and go back to your BMW, we all know you deserve better :)

Member123, I must say your sense of humor is very dry at best, please dont quit your day job. If you are the auto enthusiast you claim you are, I am sure you can find a way to fix the rain sensing wipers. I have and I am not half the auto enthusiast you claim to be. If you live in a area that rains all the time, there are solution for that as well, but I am sure you know about all of them already.

This forum would be useless, if people just come here and say nice things only about their GS, but at the time, no one wants to hear people complaining about every little thing. I say you dump the GS since its only a good car and not a great one and go back to your BMW, we all know you deserve better :)

My BMW (2004 540 M Sport) is not an everyday driver (6 speed, 425HP Supercharged Dinan gas guzzler). Nor is it a Luxury Sedan... kinda basic inside. I bought the GS350 as an everyday driver Luxury Sedan. You know, a Japanese bells and whistles car.

By the way, auto sense wipers stopped working completely yesterday evening.

What, did it finally stop raining in Oregon? Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

I know you couldn't resist. It takes discipline to resist these kind of petty comments....

Children, can we stop this now?

so maybe it isn't a design flaw after all and yours are just defective. I will be curious to what the problem is.

In response to "Children can we stop this now?"...you brought it on. You have to expect at least a little ribbing. Oh yeah, and I see you are trying to bait other theads now too.

What, did it finally stop raining in Oregon? Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

I know you couldn't resist. It takes discipline to resist these kind of petty comments....

Children, can we stop this now?

Well, at least you seem to like your car's breakes. :lol: :lol:

We don't get as much rain down here in Texas, but my rain sensing wipers work like a champ. One of the coolest features on the car... When I drive my wife's Navigator, I'm annoyed that I have to turn the wipers on manually. The luxuries we take for granted...

• 6 months later...

My BMW (2004 540 M Sport) is not an everyday driver (6 speed, 425HP Supercharged Dinan gas guzzler). Nor is it a Luxury Sedan... kinda basic inside. I bought the GS350 as an everyday driver Luxury Sedan. You know, a Japanese bells and whistles car.

Member123:

I have the GS450H and have a few issues with the auto sensing, but I don't pay too much attention to it and just use the manual controls if required (I don't get the rain you do).

If it stopped working altogether, I assume you'll have the dealership investigate and hopefully replace the unit? Please let us know how it turns out.