Polishing Windshield, Possible?

jcrome04

Hey guys! JCrome here. Figured I'd post this in the general forum rather than the LS forum since (I think) most cars have windshields!! :lol:

My 97 LS has a LOT of VERY VERY fine scratches on it. Like it was driven through multiple sand storms.

I was wondering if it is possible to polish these out. I've used a chrome&glass polish but that doesn't seem to do much more than make it shiney. It needs something a little more aggressive.

I've been meaning to stop by the local Novus place to ask them, but can't get the time to do so.

Thanks in advance!!!! :)

:cheers:

Nothing can remove the chips as it is small indents from debris impacting the glass like the moons surface.

You can reduce the glare by running a razor blade over the glass to remove the high spots just make sure you have a lube on the glass to not scratch it.

Mine was the exact same way Jcrome, and it made it very difficult to see at dusk & dawn with the sun in your face. I found using a Mr. Clean magic erasure bar on both the outside and inside, followed with two applications of rain-x really helped a lot. I love that rain-x stuff. I Mr. Clean all my glass, head lights, marker lights, and put rain-x on all as well. Plus, it makes the glass very reflective, making it difficult for people to see you while driving in the sunlight.

Yes it's true that pits on the windshield will not come off as per SK, but as NC said Rain-X helps alot. It seems to help fill up the pits. I live in an area with lots of pine trees and in the heat they spray a fine mist of tar very similar to pits. That is where the clay bar comes in. Have not tried the Mr. Clean.

Polishing glass can be done. I have a powder that you mix with water and you use a buffing wheel on it. You have to be very careful with it though, as you can make a small chip or scratch a big visual defraction very quickly. I got it from a glass and mirror mfgr. here in town. It's what they use to polish out mirrors and glass and the edgework. I haven't used it on a windshield, but I did save some for just for that purpose in the future.

Smooth1 I think I read somewhere here in the forums that ISxxx come with a speacial coating on the winshield?

So I guess the polishing would not be recomended .

Just want to make sure I don't do something to hurt that coating if thats the the case. :unsure:

If there is a coating, I wouldn't think it would be on the outside of glass. As any "coating would be worn off by the weather, windshield wipers, and sand blasting highway speeds. Not to mention the calcium water deposts that get left behind.