Considering A Ls

Hi everyone. My boss is selling his 99 LS400. Up until reading the reviews on this car i would never have considered purchasing a car with 150k miles on it, but all the positive things i've read about its reliability and longevity have got me thinking. He is asking 8500, its in very good condition, 4 new tires. He said he just spent a couple grand to have it overhauled, not sure what all that entailed. I know the car has been a "company car" for its entire life, and im sure lots of those 150k miles are highway miles. Anywho, to the point. I have read over the buyers guides and whatnot on this site and others, but i just wanted to ask some actual people what all i should watch out for or inquire about with this particular vehicle. Thx in advance.

You are right that a well maintained LS will go 300,000+ with good maintenance.

Has all maintenance been done and are records available? Make sure the The 90,000 mile service (timing belt, water pump, etc.)

Also find out if the motor mounts (2) and tranny mount (1) have been replaced. They'll need it at that mileage. It's about $500 for parts (online) and labor (indy shop).

I'd also suggest getting a buyer's inspection done. And with that mileage, a leak down test. These should cost about $200, but will tell you lots about the car.

I'd also try to get the price down to $8,000 or below.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eddie

Hi everyone. My boss is selling his 99 LS400. Up until reading the reviews on this car i would never have considered purchasing a car with 150k miles on it, but all the positive things i've read about its reliability and longevity have got me thinking. He is asking 8500, its in very good condition, 4 new tires. He said he just spent a couple grand to have it overhauled, not sure what all that entailed. I know the car has been a "company car" for its entire life, and im sure lots of those 150k miles are highway miles. Anywho, to the point. I have read over the buyers guides and whatnot on this site and others, but i just wanted to ask some actual people what all i should watch out for or inquire about with this particular vehicle. Thx in advance.

I'd be wary doing business with your boss, but otherwise if the car is well maintained it should serve you for a good long while.

I'd agree about the boss part. You know the phrase "never dip your pen in company ink". Granted, it's not the same, but you get the point.. However, this coming from a guy who had a secret relationship with a fellow employee for 2 years at his last job. But, that ended up with a marriage and now baby, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also find out if the motor mounts (2) and tranny mount (1) have been replaced. They'll need it at that mileage. It's about $500 for parts (online) and labor (indy shop).

I don't think the motor mounts necessarily need replacement at that mileage. Best thing you can do is drive the car and make sure there are not any odd vibrations or other symptoms. The motor mounts on my LS are fine with 144,000 miles, and they are almost 16 years old.