How Do I Remove The Front Rotors On A '99 Rx300?

lofmyrx

I'm new to the forum and joined so I could help my son maintain his '99 RX300 that he bought used 6 months ago. He asked that I help him to replace his brake pads and inspect the rotors. Unfortunately, the rotors are badly worn and need replacing. I tried to remove the rotors but encountered what appears to be a large (> 1") nut that holds the rotors to the axle. We didn't have a socket large enough to remove the nut but also discovered that the axle turns when trying to remove the nut. Is there something we're missing here? I've never seen rotors that appear to be so difficult to remove on a vehicle. Do we have to have a person on each front wheel so they can keep the axle from turning when trying to loosen the nut? I'd appreciate any assistance and advice. Thanks in advance.

I'm new to the forum and joined so I could help my son maintain his '99 RX300 that he bought used 6 months ago. He asked that I help him to replace his brake pads and inspect the rotors. Unfortunately, the rotors are badly worn and need replacing. I tried to remove the rotors but encountered what appears to be a large (> 1") nut that holds the rotors to the axle. We didn't have a socket large enough to remove the nut but also discovered that the axle turns when trying to remove the nut. Is there something we're missing here? I've never seen rotors that appear to be so difficult to remove on a vehicle. Do we have to have a person on each front wheel so they can keep the axle from turning when trying to loosen the nut? I'd appreciate any assistance and advice. Thanks in advance.

You dont have to remove that nut, the rotors are free floating on the axle shaft. they are probably corroaded to the hub. get some PB blaster and hit the area of the hub to rotor. Then take a rubber hammer or block of wood and tap the rotor to break it loose from the hub . I assume you have remove the caliper from the hub already...The rotors are reasonable from such places as TireRack.com The Brembo Rotors are of very good quality, but check around. I cant remember, but there may be a threaded hole on the rotor hub. you can screw a screw into that hole and possibly break the rotor free...

Don't remove the nut. Once the calipers are out of the way the rotor should just about fall off. Sometimes it's rusted a little. Try tapping with a rubber mallet. Also there are 2 bolt holes in the rotor. Buy the proper size metric bolt at Home Depot and thread it in to push off the rotor.

Don't remove the nut. Once the calipers are out of the way the rotor should just about fall off. Sometimes it's rusted a little. Try tapping with a rubber mallet. Also there are 2 bolt holes in the rotor. Buy the proper size metric bolt at Home Depot and thread it in to push off the rotor.

8mm x 1.25 pitch

The bottom line is that the lug nuts hold on the brake rotor. Remove the lug nuts and the rotor is unsecured.

The caliper has to be removed to get the rotor to clear the lug nut studs so removing the caliper comes first.

Since you are replacing the rotors, there is no need to be nice to them. Although banging with a 2 x 4 should break the rust adhesion, a hammer tap on the edge could do the job as well. Wear safety glasses since the rotor is about as hard as the hammer and sparks can fly.

Replacement is just as easy. Clean up the rust on the car-side rotor seat with a wire brush and put a light coat of WD-40 on it - don't spray it on or overdo it, wipe it on and surely keep it off of the rotor face where the pad contacts. It probably doesn't matter much but I've never had a rotor rust on with that procedure. I personally think that if the rust is not removed then the rotor will not seat as perfectly as it should. Slip the new rotor over the lug nut studs and you are ready to deal with the caliper and new pads.

Every time you rotate the tires the rotors should be loose.

Once you get the old rotors off clean the hub completely and coat with permatex synthetic brake lubricant (green) and you won't have this issue again. When relining coat the back of the pads with the same lubricant to eliminate pad noise. Try rockauto.com for some decent prices on parts. FWIW I just did a complete brake job on my rx330 with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors & ceramic pads. Excellent parts. DO be sure to bed new pads in by doing 25 or 30 30mph to 5mph slow downs with 1 mile of driving in between each slowdown. New rotors should be cleaned with brakekleen prior to install.

Once you get the old rotors off clean the hub completely and coat with permatex synthetic brake lubricant (green) and you won't have this issue again. When relining coat the back of the pads with the same lubricant to eliminate pad noise. Try rockauto.com for some decent prices on parts. FWIW I just did a complete brake job on my rx330 with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors & ceramic pads. Excellent parts. DO be sure to bed new pads in by doing 25 or 30 30mph to 5mph slow downs with 1 mile of driving in between each slowdown. New rotors should be cleaned with brakekleen prior to install.

I put the Raybestos AT rotors on the front of my 99 Avalon. Like them very much.

• 4 years later...

You dont have to remove that nut, the rotors are free floating on the axle shaft. they are probably corroaded to the hub. get some PB blaster and hit the area of the hub to rotor. Then take a rubber hammer or block of wood and tap the rotor to break it loose from the hub . I assume you have remove the caliper from the hub already...The rotors are reasonable from such places as TireRack.com The Brembo Rotors are of very good quality, but check around. I cant remember, but there may be a threaded hole on the rotor hub. you can screw a screw into that hole and possibly break the rotor free...

the exact hex cap screw size that fits those holes: M8-1.25 X 20 works perfectly and using 2 at the same time breaks the corroded rotor free effortlessly.