1995 Ls 400

JOldaker

Ok, I need some advice regarding my 1995 LS 400....Just got out of local Lexus dealer compleating 120,000 mile checkup.......My problem is that when I travel for a long distance ( 200 miles or more ) at 75 to 80mph my car shuts itself off when I slow down and get off the exit on the Interstate. Seems like it is only doing this at high speeds and for a few hours of not stopping.

It does not do this around town or at 60 t0 70mph for a short trip across town...My dealer says it is the computer..I also have had people tell me it could a vaccum or vapor problem....any advice out there ?

Thanks..Jamie Oldaker, Nashville, TN USA :chairshot:

Jamie,

Are you getting a check engine light or any other symptoms when the engine dies? I assume it is starting up again after it quits. When is the engine dying, as you slow down or as you come to a complete stop? Was it doing this before your 120K checkup? You need to give us more info.

Curt

i agree with obergc, computer failure is way to broad. you main ECM gets data from bunch of ECUs and most of them operate on the logic that is based on the error occuring at least 2 times during the trip under certain conditions. a wide variety of agregates in your car can lead to this trouble so you have to narrow the problem down. try to drive on the highway for 20 mins at the speeds you descirbed and check if you will have this problem. if you will then you can ask your dealr to get get special lexus OBD II scanner and put it in to test mode and take a ride with u. scanner will show what kind of codes you are getting.

• 1 month later...
Ok, I need some advice regarding my 1995 LS 400....Just got out of local Lexus dealer compleating 120,000 mile checkup.......My problem is that when I travel for a long distance ( 200 miles or more ) at 75 to 80mph my car shuts itself off when I slow down and get off the exit on the Interstate. Seems like it is only doing this at high speeds and for a few hours of not stopping.

It does not do this around town or at 60 t0 70mph for a short trip across town...My dealer says it is the computer..I also have had people tell me it could a vaccum or vapor problem....any advice out there ?

Thanks..Jamie Oldaker, Nashville, TN USA :chairshot:

Jamie,

Did you ever get this problem resolved???

I had the same problem with my 96LS....after long distance driving, it would just stop if I slow down due to traffic or get off the highway for fuel.....I took it to the dealer and they can not generated the same problem after they took it out on the highway or get any error code...according to the ticket from the dealer..."ALL SPECS TO BE GOOD DURING DIAG.". Anyway, they replace my engine ECU under warrenty even after my car was already out of warrenty for a couple of years :cheers: . My car had 69390 miles, and it was done last July. The part number that they replace was 8966150302...I also talk to the master tech. at the dealer and he told me that he had only encounter these problem a couple of time before me.....I suggest that you took it back to the dealer and have the work done under warrenty...Good luck.

I talked to Lexus service manager today and he is trying to get my 95 ls400 with 94,000 miles covered by warranty... He will call me back and I will post the results. He was aware of the tech service bulletin. Thank you pachocco1 and lexusing for this valuable info.

Lexus service mgr called me back today and said Lexus would warranty this job up to 80,000mi. Then it would cost me 1% for every 1,000 mi over 80,000. He estimated 95,000 mi on my 1995 would cost me appx $252.00. I told him to order the ECM and schedule the job for next week. I feel this is a great savings and appreciate the valuable info from this forum.

:cheers:

Lexus of Clear Lake replaced my ecm in 1 hour this am. Service Mgr was very nice and said he had never seen anyone get this part replaced for this price($249.00). They even washed the car when they were done. Thanks again to everyone for the advice. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am having similar problems :( with my 1995 LS 400 (129,000) miles. It runs great expect for the small problem that after traveling on the highway at speeds greater than 80 mph. Yeh I know that is speeding, but I have to see what she can do on the open road B) ...

Anyway, when I slow my car down, getting of the ramp, or at a light, my car cuts off. It starts right back but having my car shutoff is a safety hazard and quite annoying and embarassing.… Anyway, looking at past entries it looks as if my ECU is the problem.

Will I need to replace my ECU or can I just have my current one reprogrammed?

If I have to replace it can I buy a used 95 one or will it have the same problem?

Is 96/97 ls400 engine ECU compatible with a 95? I believe after 1996, the engine ECU was reprogrammed to solve the problem.

As you can tell, I really don't want to spend buy a new ECU, they are $1800. :censored: Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

:)

1995ls400

Just take your LS to the local dealer. They should replace it with minimal cost to you. My 96 LS was fix without any cost to me because it was recall as stated in the earlier post. If they want to charge you $1,800.00 then talk to the manager of the service dept. Good luck.

VLKJ Report Post Quote

Mar 8 2004, 09:07 PM

New Club Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 3557

1995 LS400

Austin TX

Thanks for the road test followup, big50daddy, and congratulations on the improvements!

Re: 1995 vs 1996 ECMs and drivability improvements...seems the problem of the rough transmission shifts was apparent to Lexus in the 1995 models, but maybe the connection to the idling-to-standstill wasn't made until the 1996 owners started reporting. Anyway, the TSB that applies to 1995 LS400 is recapped below.

Technical Service Bulletin EG003-96 October 7, 1996 (OPCODE EG5002 requires the ECU replacement, cruise control computer, and spark plug replacements as a set for the 1995 LS400).

LS400 DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENT - To improve driving smoothness at speeds above 40 miles per hour, the following components have been changed.

Applies to all 1995 vehicles from JT8UF22E*S0O:

Old part / New part / Application

89661-50220 / 89661-50224 / ECM Fed. (veh prod 9410-9502)

89661-50221 / 89661-50224 / ECM Fed. (veh prod 9502-9507)

89661-50230 / 89661-50234 / ECM Cal. (veh prod 9410-9502)

89661-50231 / 89661-50234 / ECM Cal. (veh prod 9502-9507)

88240-50070 / 88240-50071 / Cruise Control Computer (veh prod 9410-9507)

90919-01180 / 90919-01178 / Spark Plugs (veh prod 9410-9507)

Thanks,

Lee

I believe Lee refers to the correct Service Bulletin for the 1995 LS.

I was not aware of the Cruise Control Computer and Spark Plug Replacement when I took mine in. I have since contacted Lexus about this and they were aware of this. :angry:

The Service Mgr will call me when he returns from vacation.