Miles Vs. Years

B-n-B

Hi, Hubby and I have decided that the Lexus LS430 is the car for us to have. We buy using the death statistics and injury numbers ... add reliability and this one floats right to the top!

We want to keep it in the low 20s for price. My question is, am I better off to buy an older car with fewer miles, or a newer car with more miles?

For example, I am looking at a 2003 with 86,500 miles ... full package ... $23,000

(all maintenance done at dealer, recalls and bulletins taken care of)

OR

2001 with 64,000 miles ... strip package (no nav, etc.) ... $21,000

(not sure about maintenance history .. need to get that from the dealer)

What's the better way to go? Seems like these run forever?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're going to have to drive several hours to buy one, since we have no Lexus dealer locally (but have Toyota dealer who said they can do almost all repairs).

Thanks a bunch!

Hello and Welcome.

The LS series will easily go to 300,000-500,000 miles with good maintenance so I'd let things like available maint. records, price and car options guide your decision.

Good luck,

Eddie

Hi, Hubby and I have decided that the Lexus LS430 is the car for us to have. We buy using the death statistics and injury numbers ... add reliability and this one floats right to the top!

We want to keep it in the low 20s for price. My question is, am I better off to buy an older car with fewer miles, or a newer car with more miles?

For example, I am looking at a 2003 with 86,500 miles ... full package ... $23,000

OR

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're going to have to drive several hours to buy one, since we have no Lexus dealer locally (but have Toyota dealer who said they can do almost all repairs).

Thanks a bunch!

OR

Thanks a bunch!

Hello and Welcome.

The LS series will easily go to 300,000-500,000 miles with good maintenance so I'd let things like available maint. records, price and car options guide your decision.

Good luck,

Eddie

OR

Thanks a bunch!

I don't own one "yet", but have read tons on these message boards. When you are comparing miles in your example, it is between 64,000 and 86,500.......for these cars that's really no difference at all. I would say that a mileage difference would be comparing 75,000 to 150,000.

However, with respect to mileage, one item to keep in mind is that there is a substantial suggested maintenance activity at 90,000 miles. Includes replacement of timing belt, water pump and other items. $1600 at Lexus dealer. So that can be where mileage comes into play.

I've looked at a 250,000 mile LS400 and a 190,000 GS400 recently. Would have bought them both, but each was purchased before I could get serious. One was bought within hours of being posted on the sales website!!!

So in a nutshell, aside from the 90,000 service, don't worry too much about mileage within the range you are talking!

Good luck!

As long as the maintenance has been kept up, there is really not much difference as far as the mechanical reliability between the model years. These cars are built for putting several hundred thousand miles on them without having much done other than routine maintenance.

As mentioned above, there is a big cost item in the 90K service - you may even be able to negotiate that with the dealer to have done for the '03 model as part of the sales price, since it is so close to scheduled maintenance with 86,500 miles.

The only real choice comes down to what will you be comfortable with & which features you like the best - or the ones that you will regret missing if you 'settle' on one that may not have everything you want. There are usually a few LS's around to choose from, as long as you have the time to be picky, you should be able to get exactly what you want without compromising too much.

BTW - Welcome & Keep Posting - Pics of whichever you decide on are always welcome.

Welcome and congratulations on selecting Lexus! :cheers:

If you can get the dealer to do the 90k for the price they're asking, then the '03 would be the better deal.

Not only is '03 preferrable because it's the 3rd year in for the 430, you have a written history of all maintenance and TSB's done. Whichever you buy, you're going to love driving your new (to you) LS.

Good luck and we love pictures. :cheers:

I'd go for the 03' for two reasons. 1) 01' was the 1st year of the 430 series, and I do believe they had a few funky electronic bugs that needed some attention. They were elimenated by 03'. 2) If the 03' is being sold by a Lexus dealer, then MAKE you offer contingent upon them issuing you a "We Owe You" certificate for the 90k service, make SURE that includes the timing belt and water pump, as some dealers don't automatically include them. If you do that, you'll be set for a good long time in a very sweet "and safe" ride! The 90k is the big whopper service, so if you can get it for free, then it's well worth the extra $2k in price difference between the two, as you'll spend that much anyway to have the 90k service done. ;)

Edit: Just saw your part about having to drive hours to get one. Since you don't want to go back for the 90k service, which I don't think a Toyota dealership can handle, then make your offer contigent upon them doing the FULL 90k service prior to delivery.

OR

I'd drive them both and pick the one that drives and feels better of the two. I'd avoid the UL package because the air struts are expensive to replace. I wouldn't let the lack of a complete service history deter you. My '95 never went in for any of those cockamamie services (other than timing belts), and we'll roll past 314k next week. Like the others have said, I would account for the $1500 90k timing belt service when you negotiate the price--you want to be sure that the timing belt is taken care of.

Life gets more complicated. I stumbled across another Lexus LS430 (2003) heading for auction from the Lexus dealer (they have had it since January). It's got 74,144 miles, the nav/nice radio package, carfax 1 owner, no accidents.

Concerns: It was owned by somebody who lived very very far from a Lexus dealer, so the lexus service history is very thin. Pretty much only shows the 25K checkup, and the brakes once. I'm sure they were having stuff done by a non-lexus dealer. The dealer who got it on trade in did the standard oil change, filters, put 2 new tires on it, trans and coolant flush, and the drive belt. Also, one of the rear parking sensors is missing (as in gone), it has some corrosion on the tire rims, and a few scratches on the fender/hood ... none of these seem like a big deal to me. These are the reasons he listed as why he thinks the car isn't selling ... said it drives and rides like any other ls 430.

Temptation: It's currently listed at $23,000 (same price as the other one I was looking at), but he said he'd give me a "heck of a deal" ... waiting for the call back to quantify what that means. Was thinking I should bargain for the 75K service as part of the deal if I go for it (or maybe they already did everything .. can't find a service schedule).

The question is, at what price is this a good deal? I can buy the other one (listed at $23K with 86K miles and full service history) ... and I might be able to talk him down some and/or get the 90K service included.

NOTE: Husband is very cheap!! Trying to get the price as low as possible while still getting a good reliable car.

Thanks so much for your sage advice. :D

I'd go for the 03' for two reasons. 1) 01' was the 1st year of the 430 series, and I do believe they had a few funky electronic bugs that needed some attention. They were elimenated by 03'. 2) If the 03' is being sold by a Lexus dealer, then MAKE you offer contingent upon them issuing you a "We Owe You" certificate for the 90k service, make SURE that includes the timing belt and water pump, as some dealers don't automatically include them. If you do that, you'll be set for a good long time in a very sweet "and safe" ride! The 90k is the big whopper service, so if you can get it for free, then it's well worth the extra $2k in price difference between the two, as you'll spend that much anyway to have the 90k service done. ;)

Edit: Just saw your part about having to drive hours to get one. Since you don't want to go back for the 90k service, which I don't think a Toyota dealership can handle, then make your offer contigent upon them doing the FULL 90k service prior to delivery.

I have over 122K on my '01, and have not had any 'funky electronic bugs', aside from the ML radio not wanting to work the first time the car is started each morning when the temperature drops below 25 degrees - a regular occurance hear in Minnesota, but other than that, no problems at all.

For the 'latest' offering, just me, but if you are considering it I would get them to pony up and give you the other 2 tires so that when you go to rotate them (5-6K interval) you will wear all 4 equally.

It may be a bit of a pain getting the parking sensor replaced. Not only will you need to get the part, but have it installed and it will need to be painted to match the bumper also.

I'd ask them to issue you the "We Owe You" ticket for the 90k service, when you're ready. And if they give you that, and still keep it in the $17k window, then I'd say it sounds like a great deal. Not all of them had electonic bugs, but I do think some had minor quirks, nothing major though. Hey, at the end of the day, it's a Lexus LS..you can't beat them, period. Have the dealership fax you the service history on the car. They can do that easily by just running the vin the number through their computer. All Lexus dealerships do this, so if he says "we can't do that", then I'd be suspecious, to say the least.

Dang...if prices are falling this much, i'm almost tempted to swap out the Mazda for another LS.