2007 Gs350 -fuel Door

It just started today...filled gas in car, then couldnt close the fuel door. Looks like the metal piece that holds the fuel door shut isnt functioning properly. The metal piece is not allowing me to close the door, and when i force the door shut, the metal piece is not locking it in.

Anyway, will have to take to shop to fix later this week...but anyone have this problem?

It just started today...filled gas in car, then couldnt close the fuel door. Looks like the metal piece that holds the fuel door shut isnt functioning properly. The metal piece is not allowing me to close the door, and when i force the door shut, the metal piece is not locking it in.

Anyway, will have to take to shop to fix later this week...but anyone have this problem?

I have an 07 GS350 and I too have noticed the fuel door doe not always close properly. I haven't had the time to take it to the dealer. Maybe next week....

My two cents.... The GS350 is a handsome automobile. But.... The GS350 is a poorly engineered Luxury Sedan; like some sort of Toyota after thought. Not much attention to detail and too many secrete/undocumented decoder ring processes required to dial things in. My 2007 Jeep GC is a much better "Luxury" design.... Sorry all you Lexus lovers, but that is my opinion after several months of ownership. Now all I need to do is find a buyer....

... too many secrete/undocumented decoder ring processes ...

I don't mean to be a grammar-!Removed!, but this is somewhat annoying. To set it straight:

secrete = generate and separate from cells or bodily fluids; "secrete digestive juices"; "release a hormone into the blood stream"

secret = not open or public; kept private or not revealed; "a secret formula"; "secret ingredients"; "secret talks"

I don't mean to be a grammar-!Removed!, but this is somewhat annoying. To set it straight:

secrete = generate and separate from cells or bodily fluids; "secrete digestive juices"; "release a hormone into the blood stream"

secret = not open or public; kept private or not revealed; "a secret formula"; "secret ingredients"; "secret talks"

G Man and madyash

Spell checkers are not perfect so it's a good thing this forum has guys like you to help educate the rest of us. Keep up the good work! :)

By seriously gentlemen, do you guys even own a GS350? Does it meet all your expectations? Have you ever had any problems with your GS350's? Do you think it's ok for the fuel door on a $50K automobile to not close properly? Do you not have high expectations when you spend $50K on an automobile? Why are you on this forum? Just curious.

G Man and madyash

Spell checkers are not perfect so it's a good thing this forum has guys like you to help educate the rest of us. Keep up the good work! :)

By seriously gentlemen, do you guys even own a GS350? Does it meet all your expectations? Have you ever had any problems with your GS350's? Do you think it's ok for the fuel door on a $50K automobile to not close properly? Do you not have high expectations when you spend $50K on an automobile? Why are you on this forum? Just curious.

Ok, just noticed that G Man owns a GS350 and madyash owns a GS300. Above question still apply.... I am trying to be sincere here guys.

I've got a 300 and have noticed the door makes noise when you move a towel or wash cloth over it, like it doesn't quite "lock in" properly.

Ok brycejag, you have had your moment. Take a bow and get over yourself. Now, do you have anything more inspiring to add to this discussion or is this your final contribution? With a wit like yours I am sure you have something more intelligent to say.

Again, do you folks think it is ok for the fuel door on a virtually new $50K automobile to not close properly? At least two members have cited this problem. It's a simple question that has yet to be answered. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you deal with it? Does anyone know of a TSB on this problem?

I've got a 300 and have noticed the door makes noise when you move a towel or wash cloth over it, like it doesn't quite "lock in" properly.

Ok brycejag, you have had your moment. Take a bow and get over yourself. Now, do you have anything more inspiring to add to this discussion or is this your final contribution? With a wit like yours I am sure you have something more intelligent to say.

Member123, what is your problem here? That comment is bordering on just plain rude. The guy has only got 5 posts and not one of them was sarcastic or meant to be funny. He simply added that his fuel door makes a noise when you run a towel over it. How can you determine his wit? I must ask you to tone down the arrogance. There is no reason to make a brand new member feel uncomfortable.

steviej

Member123, what is your problem here? That comment is bordering on just plain rude. The guy has only got 5 posts and not one of them was sarcastic or meant to be funny. He simply added that his fuel door makes a noise when you run a towel over it. How can you determine his wit? I must ask you to tone down the arrogance. There is no reason to make a brand new member feel uncomfortable.

steviej

steviej...I do appreciate the defense, but Member123 still has a valid point and it does need to be addressed.

That said, Member123, do I think it's ok for the fuel door to not latch properly? No, I don't. Is there a fix for it yet? No, obviously if there were one it would be posted up on this site somewhere. Thirdly, I'm going to agree with steviej and say that you're "wit" is borderline not that funny at all, but hey, to each their own.

G Man and madyash

Ok, just noticed that G Man owns a GS350 and madyash owns a GS300. Above question still apply.... I am trying to be sincere here guys.

I've never had a problem with my fuel door. I do agree that the fuel door should not be a problem (on this car, or most other cars). Given the number of GS drivers versus the relatively small number of fuel door complaints I've heard, this could just be symptomatic of a few owners who got unlucky (there's no such thing as perfect manufacturing of each and every vehcile coming off the line). With that said, I'm sure the dealer would be glad to address it - have you talked to them? Lexus isn't just about the quality of the car, but also about the service of the dealership.

My GS isn't perfect, but then I don't believe any car is or ever will be. Considering the overall package - the price, the vehicle's features, performance, quality, and other attributes, and the dealership experience (which, by the way, isn't great at all dealerships - I've had both good and bad Lexus dealership experiences), I'm very happy with the car.

I've never had a problem with my fuel door. I do agree that the fuel door should not be a problem (on this car, or most other cars). Given the number of GS drivers versus the relatively small number of fuel door complaints I've heard, this could just be symptomatic of a few owners who got unlucky (there's no such thing as perfect manufacturing of each and every vehcile coming off the line). With that said, I'm sure the dealer would be glad to address it - have you talked to them? Lexus isn't just about the quality of the car, but also about the service of the dealership.

My GS isn't perfect, but then I don't believe any car is or ever will be. Considering the overall package - the price, the vehicle's features, performance, quality, and other attributes, and the dealership experience (which, by the way, isn't great at all dealerships - I've had both good and bad Lexus dealership experiences), I'm very happy with the car.

couldn't have said it better myself.

• 5 weeks later...

I just picked my car up yesterday from the dealership after getting the 10,000 mile check. All was well until I went to get gas and can't close the fuel door without forcing it shut. Guess I'll have to take it back for repair. I hope they don't tell me there's nothing they can do about it - I'm currently not happy about the fact that the driver side mirror presets don't stay and they say there's no fix. We'll see --

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response to the problem with the gas door..I took it to the dealership shortly afterwards and in less than ten mins, they fixed it. Something about the latch inside was moved. Hopefully, my gas door will not move so easily again.

Besides the gas door problem and my side mirrors not working (a 4 month problem where side mirrors were stuck after reversing...and the dealers kept sending me home..lubing up the mirrors only to find the mirrors stuck again a couple of days later--however after 2 dealerships and 4 visits later, they replaced my mirrors)....I still LOVE my Lexus. Performance, Style, Comfort, Lexus' long lasting reputation...I'm still a happy owner a year after buying my car.

And to answer the question..is it okay to spend $50K and have a problem with the gas door? No. But hey, things happen... Got it fixed...life goes on. I don't sweat the little things.

Besides the gas door problem and my side mirrors not working (a 4 month problem where side mirrors were stuck after reversing...and the dealers kept sending me home..lubing up the mirrors only to find the mirrors stuck again a couple of days later--however after 2 dealerships and 4 visits later, they replaced my mirrors

I am surprised it took that long. This is probably the most well known "issue" with the 3rd generation GS next to the cold weather dash noised. Supposedly it is caused by a failure of the plastic gears inside. Poor design results in the only solution being replacement of the whole mirror. Sometimes what looks great on the drawing board proves unsatisfactory in real world use.

steviej

• 5 months later...

I experienced the same issue here as well. Had problems closing my fuel door, and if I did manage to get it closed, it would pop right back open as soon as drove over a bump. Took it to Lexus about a year ago and they were able to address the problem, however it appears as if the issue has come back. I notice that when I refill my gas, it's common to have issues closing the fuel door. I guess I need to head back to the dealer some time soon.