Most Mileage? More Than 300k

Mine: Puchased on 4/93 V6XLE CAMRY as of today 430,783 miles with the same engine. Rebuilt Trans. at 280,459. REplaced water punp 2 times. powersterring punp 1 time when it had 90,000 mile. Changed oil every 7500 miles. Any better and would hate it. and i would not sell it. Next will pick up ES330 on 12/16/03. :cheers:

Wifes 96 Camry V6XLE has 200K on it. No problems with anything (knock on wood) and am hoping to get another 100K or more. My new ES330 purchased about 3 weeks ago has around 100 miles on it at this point. Usually kept in the garage as I run a Honda for a daily driver.

yeah..toyota is known for it's reliability.

it's the 2nd largest auto manufacturer in the world.

number 1 is GM.

you gotta see those earlier toyota commercials..they are always talking about the reliability of toyotas.

have you seen one this one?

there's this super hot girl on the side of the road with her broken down toyota (desert setting, nothing around for miles). two dudes are drivng by her, they are both thinking of stopping their car to help the girl..then they see the toyota sign. THey punch gas and they say "it's toyota, it doesn't break down" and soon after this moment, the hot girl turns into a devil.

Mine's got 130k and I seem to be having head gasket issues...guess that's just my luck, but my dad had an 88 Supra once w/250k on it when he sold it, and all we ever did was head gasket and clutch on that car (but the Supras are known for bad head gaskets...) I hope to get alot more miles outta the Lex though once I fix the head gasket ;)

My 93 ES300 is at 87k and it has a plethora of problems. I'm not too car saavy (this is why i'm here) and i'm trying to research if its even worth saving. Its like the previous owner tried to kill this car. Engine makes clangy piston noise (from the heads? rockers? lifters? I dunno) and slurrs in and out of very low RPM at parked idle or stopped at a light; sometimes stalling completely. One of the components run by a belt (I told you I wasn't car saavy) makes a constant metallic pinging noise (sounds like bad bearings in my uneducated guess). I was told it was the power steering pump about to go, but i'm not too sure. The A/C sometimes turns off for no reason, and oh yeah, the oil pan gasket leaks great gobs of oil directly onto the exhaust pipe above the catalytic converter and immediately burns off creating a cloud of smoke that pours out from underneath my hood while driving (especially stopped or at low speeds). Everyone thinks my car is overheating and is happy to notify me by honking... which is always fun. My lexus sure does turn heads. <_< I'm hoping this is the only oil leak, as its all i can see from below the car; the smoke pours up from the general engine area, and looking down into the car, under the engine, stuff seems kinda wet as if it were covered in oil. There is a distinct and rather loud "weerrrrrr wweeeerrrrrrrr" whining noise when driving that kinda changes pitch with the shifting of the auto. transmission. It can't be heard at speeds higher than around 35-40 but that may just be because road noise drowns it out. I'm praying that its not the tranny about to lock up.

Of course, the manual that comes with the car is a fun "how to work the stereo, with !Removed! and jane" book and otherwise uttery useless, and i'm still virtually clueless as to what is what under the hood of my car, so I stand there with the hood up in my parking spot pointing and proding at the parts of my ticking, clanging, shuddering car like the monkey with the obelisk in the intro of 2001 a space oddessy. :chairshot:

Any help on anything is greatly appreciated. Criticize my ignorance if you must, but make it worth your while.

*sigh*

Any car if abused, even the most reliable one out there won't live to see its true lifespan potential. Sounds to me like your car was definately abused...

As for the owners manual, thats how owners manuals are. They're designed to teach you how to properly use the car and all of its features, its not a repair manual. Think about the manuals that come with anything you buy, a computer, a camera, a stove, the troubleshooting section is either not there or is useless. Its not intended to teach you how to be a mechanic, they have schools and textbooks for that ;) What you're wanting is the Lexus Service Manual, which you can buy but it probably wouldn't do you much good, it will tell you HOW to complete the work that needs to be completed, but not WHY things are behaving the way they are. You're going to have to take it to a mechanic. Just pay him a diagnosis fee and have him tell you everything thats wrong with it.

My opinion? Not worth saving. Cut your losses and get into another Lexus that has been better cared for.

My '92 is at 209k and running strong. I also had problems with a leaking head gasket at around 160k. Fixing anything on a lex is going to cost more, but well worth the investment. I'm looking forward to 300k as long as I can put up with the lack of a/c!

It wouldn't suprise me if it was the head gaskets because my brother has a '91 Toyota 4x4 truck with the 3.0 V6(12 valves though) that had bad head gaskets. The worst part is he and my dad changed them, and a few weeks later we get a notice in the mail from Toyota saying that they are recalling the head gaskets and bring it to the dealer to have them do it for free :wacko: .

are you sure it's the head gasket? and not the valve cover gasket?

i haven't owned a single japanese car that had a bad-head gasket. but every single one of them had a bad valve cover gasket.

Mine is leaking oil now and i was told that it was the valve cover gasket (which i have to have fixed). The head gasket is worse then the valve cover gasket correct?

It seems to me that it's not unheard of for head gaskets on 92-93 ES's to go bad; I'm almost positive this is why my car's not working properly, in a number of ways. Guess I'll find out for sure if I can ever get around to tearin it apart and checkin em out... <_<

V6XLE CAMRY as of today 430,783 miles

HOLY :censored: MAN!

i have worked for toyota and i now work for lexus...best i've seen was a 92 ES w/ 365,000mi and change.....

OK HERE IS THE BIG SECRET TO ALL OF YOU BELLY ACKERS WHO THINK THERE LEXUS IS WORTHLESS

CHANGE THE OIL...DO THE SERVICES...ON TIME!!!!!! I DON'T CARE IF YOU GO TO JIFFY LUBE FOR YOU OIL CHANGES...DO IT!....USE SEMI SYNTHETIC..IT'S ONLY LIKE 5 BUCKS MORE...DON'T BUY A LEXUS IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE MAINT' IT! IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THAT B.S. GO BUY A GM PRODUCT AND GIVE YOURSELF A REASON TO COMPLAIN!

someone at some point started a saying "It's a Toyota..weld the hood shut!" HORSEPUCKY!!!!

By the way that ES was dealer serviced since it was new and has never had a major problem because of it.

I agree lextech! I'm hoping mine will last for more than 300k with more that regular service. My 91' Runner has over 185k miles with Mobil 1 synthetic, and runs like brand new! I've done the same with my Tundra, and I can't wait to see what kind of mileage that one gets!

• 4 weeks later...
Oops, Im sorry, we kinda switch from topic caption.

So?? Don't be sorry ;) , That's what makes the club more interesting :D . Imagine if everyone just wrote xxx,xxx miles w/o their little stories...how boring would that be??? I'm all for the tangents :geek: .

:cheers:

are you sure it's the head gasket? and not the valve cover gasket?

i haven't owned a single japanese car that had a bad-head gasket. but every single one of them had a bad valve cover gasket.

Mine is leaking oil now and i was told that it was the valve cover gasket (which i have to have fixed). The head gasket is worse then the valve cover gasket correct?

Valve cover gasket = super cheap

ES300 Head Gaskets = super expensive compared to toher vehicle's head gasket pries