"trac Off" Indication

nobleartjim

Was it working before? What were you doing when it started going bad?

More info will improve the amount of replys. I would guess the errors are to due with the traction control not functioning, but that may sound obvious.

Remember the Toyota Dealer is cheaper than a Lexus dealer if you have to take it in...The ES300 is 90% toyota Camry with respects to running gear.

Post your results if you find out the problem.

Good luck.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello their , was looking around for anyone who has the same thing going on with their ES300. my 99 ES300 just had the vsc & vsc off light come on at the same time. now i work for an extented warr. company and i have the software to check if their are any recalls or tech. service bulletins . lexus does have one out for the replacemnet of the air flow meter ( maf sensor ) if this problem accurs. but after shutting of vehicle. those lights will not come on anymore. they might come again later but not right after you shut & re-start car. well my car that again , but this time the engine light also appeared. now thats where i`m stuck . any body have any ideas or has this happened to you . any info. will sure help. thanks

TRAC OFF and the CEL (check engine light) mean the car has gone into a "safety mode" I believe.

P1133 is "Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Responce Malfuntion (Bank 1/Sensor 1)"

P1135 is " Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfuntion (Bank 1/Sensor 1)"

my guess.....you got an oxygen (O2) sensor that has crapped out.

Do a search, these are very expensive through the dealer. They can be had online for about $100 and can be installed by a knowledgable DIYer with the right socket.

steviej

• 1 year later...

How do you check the diagnostic codes on a 2000? Is there an onboard diagnostic check like on the 92-96 (that is, you cross two terminals in the diagnostic unit under the dashboard and the CEL will flash a code), or do you have to have a computer?

How do you check the diagnostic codes on a 2000? Is there an onboard diagnostic check like on the 92-96 (that is, you cross two terminals in the diagnostic unit under the dashboard and the CEL will flash a code), or do you have to have a computer?

If you have an OBDII scan tool, then you can check them.

Or you can go to Autozone or Pepboys and they will read the codes for free.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, This is my first time posting here. I really am glad that there are these forums to help us with the cars problems. On the topic of the "trac OFF" and "check engine" lights being on. I have a 1999 Lexus Es300 that had that same problem, when i got in the car and started it up both lights would be on, sometimes they would go out and sometimes they wouldnt and would just stay on. I brought it by my local Lexus Dealership where i bought it(pre-owned) and had them do a diagnostics test on the car. After the $70 for labor charge for the diagnostics testing they came up with the idea that my TPS ( Throttle Positioning Sensor) was gone. Of course they were trying to hook me in for a $300 dollar job to do the repair, but i decided to check my repair manual and bought the part for $55 dollars. The install was really simple (remove some screws, disconnect the electrical connector, replace the part, install connector and screws and finished) took me no more than 10 minutes and the car is now running fine. I no longer have any problems with the car. I dont know if that was any help but just thought i would let you know. :rolleyes:

there are hundreds of trouble code combinations that will cause the CEL and TRAC OFF lights to illuminate. The only what to know it to get the codes read.

Again, this is a free service from Autozone and places of the like.

JR, if your ES is pre-owned was it CPO? If it was CPO, and you bought it less than what happened to your 3 year/100,000 miles warranty. If still active, the whole job including the diagnostics should have been covered.

Either way, welcome to the DIY world.

steviej

"trac OFF" and "check engine" lights being on"

I just joined this forum last week looking into this same problem. To add to matters, my brake light came on and won't go off a couple weeks before the Trac OFF and Check Engine Light came on. I've detected no difference in how the vehicle runs. I have '98 ES300. From the responses I've seen, sounds like I need to get the diagnostic codes read before solving it with hopefully a small DIY project. My hope at Least. I wonder how many problems are indentified with the trac off and check engine light simulatanously going on.

Anyway, maybe if Pep Boys or a Toyota dealer can read it for me. I'll be back with whatever the results indicate to see what to do next. By the way, an earlier msg stated to add brake fluid to get the brake light to go out. Has nothing to do with parking brake sensor apparently. Love this forum.

"trac OFF" and "check engine" lights being on"

Means the car is in safety or limp mode.

From the responses I've seen, sounds like I need to get the diagnostic codes read before solving it with hopefully a small DIY project. 

That's why I always tell people to get the codes read.

I wonder how many problems are indentified with the trac off and check engine light simulatanously going on. 

All of them that cause the two light to illuminate.

By the way, an earlier msg stated to add brake fluid to get the brake light to go out.  Has nothing to do with parking brake sensor apparently.   

Actually, the BRAKE light is triggered by both. Low fluid levels and parking brake issues can trip the light.

Love this forum.

Thank you, me too.

steviej