Expansion Valve Location?

ksoilman

I'm presuming you are talking about the expansion valve for the A/C system (don't know if there are any other components on the vehicle called an expansion valve). I believe it is up behind the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle... kind of a buggar to get to.

I'm presuming you are talking about the expansion valve for the A/C system (don't know if there are any other components on the vehicle called an expansion valve). I believe it is up behind the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle... kind of a buggar to get to.

Yes AC system. I will look as soon as my sweaty wife gets home with it (no AC). Is that the engine compartment or inside?

Yes AC system. I will look as soon as my sweaty wife gets home with it (no AC). Is that the engine compartment or inside?

Have you checked the sight glass for refrigerant flow, bubbling as the compressor starts up and after it stops..??

The seal is bad on the compressor. This is the third compressor. The first compressor (50k miles on it) replacement went out in a few weeks. Then I flushed the system changed the drier and installed a used compressor (9k miles on it) and it lasted 8 months, the seal went out. I have ordered a new rebuilt one and a new expansion valve. I have some friends that have a shop and they have a freon machine. I think the seals go bad not so much from miles but with age.

The seal is bad on the compressor. This is the third compressor. The first compressor (50k miles on it) replacement went out in a few weeks. Then I flushed the system changed the drier and installed a used compressor (9k miles on it) and it lasted 8 months, the seal went out. I have ordered a new rebuilt one and a new expansion valve. I have some friends that have a shop and they have a freon machine. I think the seals go bad not so much from miles but with age.

That, to me, would indicate that the compressors are failing due to "slugging", ingesting liquid refrigerant. Do you feel the cooling capability is satisfactory up until the seals fail? In that case the expansion valve is probably working properly and your last two compressors have failed most likely due to refrigerant overcharging.

There is also the possibility the compressor clutch is remaining engaged with the electricity off.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I just had mine replaced since my AC was going from cool to warm on a regular basis but, usually more warm than cool (not cold).

The expansion valve is located on the DRIVER'S SIDE up under the dash. NOT the passenger side. 

My mechanic replaced mine in less than an hour and that included taking the glove box out and searching for the valve before searching the driver's side, taking 4 incoming phone calls and adding one can of freon.

So, all the advice and YouTube videos that refer to the passenger side do not apply to the 2002 RX300.

I hope this helps someone else out there. BTW, the expansion valve assembly is covered in some sort of black insulation type of rubbery foamy type material.