Brakes Grabbing

Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it. While going down the road, usually down a hill,If you put slight pressure on the brake petal ,after about 5 -10 seconds.The brakes will grab..not a lot but just enough to be really a pain.Almost like you your just getting used to your brakes for the first time. Thanks chavens

There seems to be a relatively common problem among Lexus' where the pedal seems to 'drop' when lightly applied. It's happened to me in my RX300, but not in our ES300, although I've heard of it happening in ES300s, GS300/400, etc.. It's almost like the brakes pull themselves down and grab lightly for a second or so, then release.

The fixes I have seen usually come with a replacement of the master cylinder. What exactly causes it, I'm not sure.

Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it. While going down the road, usually down a hill,If you put slight pressure on the brake petal ,after about 5 -10 seconds.The brakes will grab..not a lot but just enough to be really a pain.Almost like you your just getting used to your brakes for the first time. Thanks chavens

My mechanic friend just told me that he owns a new Toyota Sienna that does the same thing. He told me to look at the tach when this happens . He believes it is the transmission down shifing to assist the car in braking....I'll check tonight and post my findings.Thanks for the quick response

Check to feel if the brake pedal is actually pulling down away from your foot... this is the braking problem I've noticed and read about. If the brake pedal feel is the same when you feel the decceleration, then it could be the transmission... although that sounds very, very strange. I haven't known any automatic transmissions actually designed to use the drivetrain as an 'engine brake' when in Drive. All the autos I've seen are designed to 'coast' when not underload, and they are designed to down/upshift accordingly to be ready and in the right gear for the speed for when the driver wants to accelerate again.