System Overrides

I have software version 7.1 in my 08 400h. I would love for my girlfriend to be able to enter new addresses while we're driving, but it seems that Lexus has changed/removed all the Nav overrides from this latest version.

I did, however, find the correct sequence to disable the seatbelt chime if anyone is interested. It took me a few tries to get it right, but it eventually worked. Now, I always buckle up. Just sometimes not in the first minute of pulling out of my driveway while I get situated. This was originally posted as instructions for an IS350 so it may work with other models. Good luck.

If anyone knows of any other system overrides (especially for 7.1) please post them.

a. Buckle your seatbelt.

1. Turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake

2. Press the trip reset button couple of times until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B ). Even if the ODO is displayed, cycle through until it displays again

3. Turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position

4. Unbuckle the driver's seatbelt if it was buckled.

5. Turn the key to the ON position again. when the dash lights comes on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12-20 seconds.

6. While still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.

7. The odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.

8. The process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off.

photo-32.jpg

My guess is that most people shouldn't do this. I believe your requirement is somewhat unique, but I'm thankful when the chimes let me know that one of my passengers did not buckle up. After all, as the driver, I am responsible!

This one DOES interest me. I always buckle up but sometimes if I'm moving from one part of a large parking lot to another, I don't want the hassle. But the annoying chime makes me put it on, even if I'm only traveling a short distance at 5 mph.

But, do I need to do this each time I start the vehicle?

Ditto re my preference to eliminate the annoying gong. My mailbox is a block from my house and it annoys me that I must re-buckle to avoid the noise, even at the considerable risk of crashing into my garage door unprotected. :angry:

Tom

I went to the dealership today for my 1K checkup and asked if there is anyway service could overide the Nav and they told me nope. So if it can be done they aren't doing it upon request.

...Same story from my local dealership. The service rep I spoke with said that he would override the Nav lockout for older versions on an individual basis depending on who was asking. He has no idea how to unlock this latest version yet, but will keep me posted. I'm almost tempted to downgrade my software if possible. I think changes are pretty minimal, anyway. More points of interest and I think they added Hawaii to our selection of maps.

But, do I need to do this each time I start the vehicle?

Ditto re my preference to eliminate the annoying gong. My mailbox is a block from my house and it annoys me that I must re-buckle to avoid the noise, even at the considerable risk of crashing into my garage door unprotected. mad.gif

Tom

The seatbelt override does not need to be done each time you start the vehicle. It will stay until you go through the sequence again to change your preference.

The seatbelt chime that always rings if you backup your car from the driveway, or simply move your car from one side of the street to the other, is quiet annoying. Everyone buckles up and most everywhere it is the law. Turning it off was one of the most rewarding things I did to my 400h.

Cheers,

MadloR

I have software version 7.1 in my 08 400h. I would love for my girlfriend to be able to enter new addresses while we're driving, but it seems that Lexus has changed/removed all the Nav overrides from this latest version.

I did, however, find the correct sequence to disable the seatbelt chime if anyone is interested. It took me a few tries to get it right, but it eventually worked. Now, I always buckle up. Just sometimes not in the first minute of pulling out of my driveway while I get situated. This was originally posted as instructions for an IS350 so it may work with other models. Good luck.

If anyone knows of any other system overrides (especially for 7.1) please post them.

Yep, the anoying 'ding' mod is an oldie but a goodie. Better not loose those procedures, because the ding will revert if /when you replace your battery, FYI. In fact, just disconecting one terminal is all it takes for the system to revert to default ... which is WITH the ding.

Regarding your v7.1 NAV DVD. THAT is not the cause of you not being to use the override. It's the 'loading' file on the DVD, ending in, .kwi if I remember correctly. So, if you have an older DVD, you can make your own custom DVD with the map upgrades, but utilizing the older loading file on the older DVD's. The mod is on this board somewhere. I did it just for yuks, and it does work, but using the aftermarket lockpic is much less of a hastle than piecing together your own NAV DVD.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hard to say, timecop.

On may cars different modules do different things and make unique sounds. On our cars, who knows? Some day I will make myself small and get under the dash and try to find out.

For now I just love the mod. I can finally check my mailbox and drive down the cul-de-sac and back into my garage without the annoying and unnecessary gong.

What eve happened to just putting on your seat belt by using your brain and common sense, instead of lawyers reminding you?

Tom

Yep, the anoying 'ding' mod is an oldie but a goodie. Better not loose those procedures, because the ding will revert if /when you replace your battery, FYI. In fact, just disconecting one terminal is all it takes for the system to revert to default ... which is WITH the ding.

Regarding your v7.1 NAV DVD. THAT is not the cause of you not being to use the override. It's the 'loading' file on the DVD, ending in, .kwi if I remember correctly. So, if you have an older DVD, you can make your own custom DVD with the map upgrades, but utilizing the older loading file on the older DVD's. The mod is on this board somewhere. I did it just for yuks, and it does work, but using the aftermarket lockpic is much less of a hastle than piecing together your own NAV DVD.

I have created one of the Hybrid 7.1 DVD's but I can't get the NAV system depowered to accept the new ( old ) bios file. Does anyone know what fuses to pull? I have tried several combinations without success and hate to disconect the baterry and loose all the personnel settings.

Ron

Ron,

There are others who are more knowledgeable about the nav system but I'm pretty sure that if you have a Gen.4(2006 RX) nav system, the last database that you can create a hybrid disc that the car will accept is 6.1. I'd love to hear if you get your disc to work. Of course these comments are all based on the assumption that you have a 2006 RX 400h.

I have created one of the Hybrid 7.1 DVD's but I can't get the NAV system depowered to accept the new ( old ) bios file. Does anyone know what fuses to pull? I have tried several combinations without success and hate to disconect the baterry and loose all the personnel settings.

Ron

Sorry, but battery disconect is the only thing that'll kill the memory at that point. We have the '06 400h and prior to making a new disk with only the new maps (not with a bios file, but rather retaining the older loading {.kwi} file) to replace our version 5 disk, we had to clear memory, and that's what it took.

• 2 months later...

I'M NOT SURE IF IT WORKS, BUT MY 07 400H....HERE'S THE WAY TO OVERRIDE NAVIGATION (I HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANY FOR PHONE)

GO TO MENU, PRESS VOLUME, ON LEFT SIDE OF SCREEN CORNERS PRESS TOP, BOTTOM, TOP, BOTTOM..THIS WILL BRING UP NEW SCREEN..FIND OVERRIDE AND PRESS TIL IT IS A RED LINE AROUND IT...THEN HIT OK TO GET OUT...THIS WILL OVERRIDE THE SYSTEM..IN MY OPINION, IT IS REALLY FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL THAT YOU CANNOT DO THESE THINGS WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING..THINK ABOUT IT..IF YOU'RE PUTTING IN ADDRESS INFO, CHANCES ARE YOU ARE NOT WATCHING THE ROAD...BWTFDIK.....IF ANYONE HAS PHONE OVERRIDE, I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE IT...

a. Buckle your seatbelt.

1. Turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake

2. Press the trip reset button couple of times until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B ). Even if the ODO is displayed, cycle through until it displays again

3. Turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position

4. Unbuckle the driver's seatbelt if it was buckled.

5. Turn the key to the ON position again. when the dash lights comes on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12-20 seconds.

6. While still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.

7. The odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.

8. The process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off.

photo-32.jpg

Ron

I have an 06 RX400h and the fuse to pull is the Radio1 fuse. It is in the square fuse box under the hood on the driver side.

Ron

I have an 06 RX400h and the fuse to pull is the Radio1 fuse. It is in the square fuse box under the hood on the driver side.

european version of nav DVD (oktober 2008) allows all inputs to the nav system while the car is moving. so with this DVD's override is not longer needed. hope this is the same with US version DVD's.

european version of nav DVD (oktober 2008) allows all inputs to the nav system while the car is moving. so with this DVD's override is not longer needed. hope this is the same with US version DVD's.

Whoa, that is fantastic news for you. The 8.1 version in the US eliminated the "I Agree" button for Gen 5 people, but no fix for the lockouts.

Maybe they will fix it for us in 2009!

There are actually four 'variables' on the Lexus. Model year, MFD type, Software data versions, and the NAV DVD player / hardware versions. What really muddies the waters is that you can't just go out and buy a new DVD, and expect it to work with your older MFD or older year model Lexus. For example, your older NAV DVD player may allow you to access the old style over ride screen, but a newer DVD disk upgrade may stop you from accessing that feature. Yet if you know what NAV DVD hardware you have, you can get a new map upgrade DVD disk, with the old hardware (over ride) features. It's a bit convoluted. That's why I suggest the lockpic for over ride features. Although the folks there may take their time in returning inquiries . . . . they deal with this stuff daily so (even if you have to return your purchase) you will at least get your over rides.