What Is The Highest Rpm You Have Had Your Ls400 ?

90LS400Lexus

Some folks on the Camry site have been talking about powershifting automatics, but not redlining the engines.

I was happy to report a very low maximum RPM for my Lexus.

I have never had to take my LS400 past 2900 RPMs. The acceleration is good, even below 3000 RPM's on these cars. So I was wondering- what is the highest RPM's you have had to take your car to? I never took my old 93 Camry past 3500 RPMs. I have occasionally taken my 92 Buick to 3500 RPMs and most recently (today)- the highest RPM I have taken the Buick @ about 4900-5000 RPMS. It does not yellowline to about 5500 amd redline at about 6200 RPMs however. I do not like to even take this car over 3500 RPMS, but sometimes on the beltway- it is needed in this Buick.

I find the engine will rev to 6000 at full throttle with the trans switch in the performance mode. After the wife drives the car all week at low speed, I wind it up when I get the chance on the weekends.

How much it will go past that is determined by the rev limiter built into the ECM. I don't know at what RPM it is invoked, but probably around 6500.

Sounds great at 6k, that's for sure.

My LS shifts right at the 6200 rpm redline regardless of whether the transmission is in regular or 'power' mod. I would never HOLD a gear to force it beyond the redline - but I'm sure the fuel cut-off is not too far beyond 6200 r.p.m. My other car's engine has often seen 8,000 r.p.m. Now THAT'S fun!!

I have to admit - 90LS400Lexus - that I'm a bit puzzled. Have you never had to enter a freeway or pass an 18-wheeler? [or whatever]

Craig!! :)

6000 RPM is nothing for these motors. The redline is conservatively set at factory, prob. to maintain engine life.

Also keep in mind that stratospheric RPMs are safer in lower gears bec. the engine revs through the range so fast. The low-revving long-stroke BMW V-12 motor has prog to let it spin to 6400 rpm in 1 and 2 gear, 6000 in 3, 5800 in top gears...

:lol: Sound at 6000+ RPM : like being in a concert hall full of Honda VTEC engines ripping at 7250 RPM, with ear plugs on.

I have to admit - 90LS400Lexus - that I'm a bit puzzled. Have you never had to enter a freeway or pass an 18-wheeler? [or whatever]

I have not had the car that long, nor have I had it on the freeway yet. The only days I drive it is on my days off, as I have several other cars. I will actually be driving it on the freeway tomorrow, so I may have the chance to take it over 3000 RPMs. I actually live just off of a 4-lane state highway- that I have to pull onto. It goes up a slight grade as I get on the highway, which is where I have had it to about 3000 rpms. It has enough power even at 3000 RPMs on the grade to accelerate swiftly, where my other cars require 3500-4000 rpms to reach the same speed at the same point. I am really impressed with the performance of this engine. Seems like many here really take off at rocket speeds- especially those that go to 6000 rpms. Maybe one day I will really see how fast it can get to 60 mph. I do know that my uncle has "tested" the acceleration on my aunts LS400 on several occasions.

The elec. cont. trans. w/intellingence takes various factors in to consideration for shifting, such as throttle input, engine speed, road speed, and etc to provide best combination of max econ.,smoothness, speed.

When it senses heavy impedence/load, tends to upshift to increase fuel econ/decrease stress to powertrain.

Downhill is definitely a case of low impedance/load, thereby providing "free" extra power, so trans stay in gear longer knowing fuel econ. is not affected/stress level is not bad

lexus as a general rule governs their engines to 400 rpm less than max redline shown on the tach....the first generation LS400's (90-94) were governed to a top speed of 150mph (which is bullhonkey cause i had a 92 that saw 160....shhhh don't tell anyone...) the current LS430's are a bit more bold....165mph or so max speed before you hit the rev limiter...i have personally seen pictures of an '04 doing 160 with the tach holding a steady 4000 rpm after burning the tires off for about the length of the car!...NO JOKE OR EXAGERATION! Aren't 6 spd transmissions and 265hp engines great! i still want to line up a sc430 with a LS430 and see who wins. :snoooorrrtttt:

Oddly enough - my '93 LS400 is a bit of a 'dog' off the line. Not that impressive. But 'floor it' [hard enough to push in that 'passing gear' button under the gas pedal] at any speed about 20 m.p.h. or so and the car takes off like a bat out of hell. It's quite amazing. So only 'race' someone on the move - never from a dead stop!! lol

Craig,

Your point, to me, is what's the best about the almighty LS400!

I mean, the car is heavy, so it's not a total jackrabbit from a standstill - but the acceleration is awesome! (mine supposed to be 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, the 2001+ are and unbelievable 5.9 secs)!

But won't the dodge viper go 0-60 in like 3.9 secs?

I digress - back to my point.

The power and quicknes I feel when cruising around and then "getting on it" is very rewarding. 40-80 mph in a blink. This type of power is comforting because it can get you away from a potential "accident waiting to happen" scenario.

(MERGING TRAFFIC AND THE LIKE)

Happy Holiday!!!

Hi 99lsguy!! :D

Imagine that!! 3.9 seconds to 60. That would be fun!! [and probably a little scary] My NSX gets to 60 in 5.4 seconds. [or about 5.2 with the traction control off] But that's a 3,000 pound aluminum car with a 5-speed manual transmission and an 8,000 r.p.m. redline. So you can only imagine how truly powerful the LS430 is to move something that weighs about 1,000 lbs MORE to 60 in just 5.9 seconds. Amazing!!

ps Happy Holiday's to you - too!! [and to everyone else!!]

Hi Lextech2k3!! :)

From what I have always understood - none of the LS400's have ever had their top speeds 'governed'. The first generation's top speed of 150 m.p.h. was the actual top speed. 'Governed' only by the inablity of the car to push through the wind any faster. The 1995 LS [according to the February 1995 issue of Car&Driver] had a top speed of 156 m.p.h. Still no governer. The LS400 models after '95 - I'm not sure of. The LS430 - on the other hand - DOES have a 'governer'. The 2004 LS430 - for instance [according to the December 2003 issue of Car&Driver] has a top 'governed' speed of just 131 m.p.h. The reason for the governer - I believe - is because of the H-speed rated tires the new LS430 uses. Lexus decided [i imagine] that with the 17" wheels - a 'V' or 'Z' rated tire would prove to be too harsh for the LS430.

Without a governer - I'm sure the LS430 would easily reach 165 m.p.h.

Good thought Craig,

Since the 04 LS has 30 ft lbs more torque and six speed tranny, the quickness has got to improve.

It is like a rocket ship disguised as a leather appoined town car......

It's funny to think an automobile as magnificent as the LS is "governed" to a certain speed.

Reminds me of my days working at a GO-KART TRACK . Speed set to 14-15 mph but I could reach back and let the throttle out to 27 MPH!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I am proud of myself- I finally took my LS400 up to about 3500 rpm's today. :D lol. It happened because I was pulling out onto the highway out of the Super Wal-Mart parking lot. There was someone poking in the fast lane and the SUV in the right lane was just slightly behind, going about the same speed. When I was far enough ahead of the SUV- I hit the accelerator and got in front of the SUV and passed the slow poke in the left lane. Typically, the highest RPM I take it to is 2800-2900 rpms.

It might be a good idea to rev your engine up through the RPM range every once in a while if you drive it really softly. It can help to clean out your engine.

Have any of you guys ever taken your Lexus's out on a track?

My dad has a Lexus LS400 (98) and it seems to have a good bit of low-end torque. I don't think that I've ever seen it in the upper RPM ranges. It could definately benefit from a stiffer suspension if any performance-oriented driving was to be done in it!

My car is a 95 BMW 540i. My engine only has single vanos, so it doesn't have much low end torque, but once you hit around 3500 RPM's, it screams. Couple that with a 6-speed manual transmission, the sport suspension, and 17x8 wheels wrapped with some grippy tires, and you've got a fun car :)

Level8Drummer

I finally FLOORED the 99 LS a couple of weeks ago :D

I was on an "acceleration ramp" going about 35 mph and "PUNCHED" it.

I think it downshifted into SECOND (after brief hesitation) and RPM'S revved up to 5800-6000 before shifting to third....

Then revved up to the REDLINE AGAIN from 3rd to 4th.

90 mph in a flash :D

I finally FLOORED the 99 LS a couple of weeks ago :D

I was on an "acceleration ramp" going about 35 mph and "PUNCHED" it.

I think it downshifted into SECOND (after brief hesitation) and RPM'S revved up to 5800-6000 before shifting to third....

Then revved up to the REDLINE AGAIN from 3rd to 4th.

90 mph in a flash :D

6000 rpms? :o Will probably be a while before I do that in my LS. :)

Not sure if it is true, but I heard somewhere that if a higher mile car was easily driven since new at low RPM's for many years/miles and then it is started to be driven abruptly at higher RPM's that the engine will wear very fast. I have heard that the engine is broke in at the low RPMS and if the pistons go farther than their "wear" line, that it will ruin the engine. Has anyone else heard this?

I am not sure of the driving pattern of my cars previous and first owner.

That is mostly an old wives tale. Many years ago when engines (domestic V-8's) developed a substantial ring ridge in the bore, or the rings were stuck in the piston grooves, some damage could result if the engine was revved hard and fast. But mostly the damage resulted from young kids buying old peoples car and thrashing them, and then blaming the old people.

These engines don't develop ring ridges - in fact most modern fuel injected engines don't, or do so very little.

I am sure my LS400 was driven very gently by the first owner, and I have thrashed it at times just to see what it can do. It seems to burn no oil at all, and runs perfectly. And at 48 some would think me an old people.

Drive the car as you like. Don't worry about it, and as I say, "Don't save it for the next owner".

If the engine was broken in properly, that would include taking it through the rev range. If an engine is a few years old and hasn't ever seen over 3k rpm's, then it's handicapped. It's never been broken in over 3k rpm's. And there's more to break-in in modern engines than cylinders and pistons.

If old people get cars and then drive them for short periods of time over and over again without the cars engines reaching full operating temperature, they can accumulate huge amounts of deposits and crap in the engine. And one day when the engine is used at what its full capacity should be, it can't keep up, and you've got problems.

Use your engines guys. If you've never taken the RPM's up, I'd suggest taking it up just a little at a time every couple of days or so over the course of a month or 2. And change your oil!

Level8Drummer

Actually in modern engines, or even older ones rebuilt by newer methods, break-in periods are no longer required. The surfaces in the old days that tended to scuff were the piston ring and piston to cylinder wall areas. With modern honing techniques and the surface finishes they achieve, the wearing in needed at this point is really zero. As far as bearings and valve guides are concerned, no break-in at all. The factory warrants these engines quite happily without concern, and puts rev limiters in the ECM simply to prevent overspeeding, which is dangerous at any time during an engine's service life, and more so as it ages.

With modern oils, no engine should develop any amount of deposit internally, and in all of the engines I have rebuilt, none have shown this unless truly abused through lack of oil changes. Some folks even think that deposits have some sort of good function, and that removing them can "hurt" the engine. No such evidence exists for that belief.

A crankshaft spinning at 3k is as invisible as one at 6k. Both are fast, but these engines are designed to take it all day long, regardless of who drove the car before you.