Gas Prices - Will We See $6/gallon?

What will you do if gas prices continue to escalate?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What alternatives have you considered for commuting if gas hits $6/gallon?

• Use public transportation
    • Join a commuter HOV
    • Look for employment closer to home
    • Move closer to work
    • Driving an alternative vehicle
    • Haven't considered any alternatives
  2. 2. Will you cancel pending summer vacations if gas continues to increase with no end in sight?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
  3. 3. What is your personal breaking point (budget wise) on gas prices?

• $4.00 - $4.25
    • $4.26 - $4.50
    • $4.51 - $4.75
    • $4.76 - $5.00
    • $5.01 - $5.25
    • $5.26 - $5.50
    • $5.51 - $5.75
    • $5.76 - $6.00
    • $6.01+

I think BadBoi's point is the same as mine. To say people don't have the right to be concerned about rising gas prices because they own "luxury vehicles" is an ignorant statement. These are not Maybachs...and this isn't the LS460 or SC430 forums...

The size of the car I'm in is not of concern. It's the size of the car that will hit me, and the weight. The Prius is a light car. I could literally kick a hole in the side of my old Prius. What is going to happen when a car hits me? Sure, I've seen the test results. It gets four stars on all tests, except for the driver side gets five stars, according to Safercar.com. The Lexus gets good ratings all around, according to IIHS.org. It's probably a crapshoot, but I sure as heck feel a lot better in the Lexus than the Prius. And it doesn't have anything to do with luxury.

The Prius is not that light, in fact its not that much lighter than your IS:

Prius: 2932lbs

IS: 3455lbs

So its 500lbs lighter, and excuse me, the IS is a SUBCOMPACT car, two size classes below the Prius.

Its all in your head. I've seen first hand accidents with the Prius and much larger heavier cars, people walked away just fine. And no, you couldn't kick a hole in the side of a Prius. The IS "feels" heftier, but thats in the engineering, that 500lbs is in doors and sound deadening, not things that will keep you safer.

By that logic you'd be safer in an old Expedition than a modern sedan, and the evidence out there is that isn't so.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No changing of plans for me as I work from home.

I'd rather pay up a high price rather than have to sit in gas lines with gallon limitations like that of the early 70's.

I still think gas cost will go up and eventually settle at $4 a gallon.

I still think gas cost will go up and eventually settle at $4 a gallon.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we will look back 6-12 months from now and think "$4.00 a gallon was cheap".

Does anyone remember $3.00 a gallon?!? We kind of blew past that threshold so fast its hardly a memory...

There is simply no rational reason for the current price of a barrel of oil. It's a bubble, fueled by speculators and irrational thinking. From a supply/demand perspective it's more than double what it should actually cost.

Just like the internet bubble in the late 90s, or the housing one that just popped recently.

Gas'll be cheap again (relatively), it's just a question of how soon common sense will overcome insanity in the marketplace.