Gas Prices - Will We See $6/gallon?

What will you do if gas prices continue to escalate?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What alternatives have you considered for commuting if gas hits $6/gallon?

• Use public transportation
    • Join a commuter HOV
    • Look for employment closer to home
    • Move closer to work
    • Driving an alternative vehicle
    • Haven't considered any alternatives
  2. 2. Will you cancel pending summer vacations if gas continues to increase with no end in sight?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
  3. 3. What is your personal breaking point (budget wise) on gas prices?

• $4.00 - $4.25
    • $4.26 - $4.50
    • $4.51 - $4.75
    • $4.76 - $5.00
    • $5.01 - $5.25
    • $5.26 - $5.50
    • $5.51 - $5.75
    • $5.76 - $6.00
    • $6.01+

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I added a couple other choices to your first question, I hadn't considered any of those options so I figured in the least there should be an option that selects that.

Unfortunately for me I drive a lot for business, and its my own business so I have to expense myself! I drive the Lexus really only for work now, we drive the Prius on the weekends and on trips. I've also considered switching cars with my fiance because she doesn't drive nearly as much as I do (she drives maybe 4 miles a day. I drive a minimum of 35, and thats if I only drive to the office and back, usually its more like 50). But she doesn't want to do that because she loves her Prius...and I don't want to do that because I don't like driving it...

Its a real conundrum. I can't drive any less...

can we use regular instead of premium in the lexus is250/350? My friend has been putting regular for 2 years and no problems.. Doesn't the ECU adjust to the lower grade gas? I mean is it just a loss in performance?

You can use it. It wont damage your car. But saving the $.20 per gallon isn't going to help you any more than when gas was $2/gallon (the spread was still $.20 then).

I added a couple other choices to your first question, I hadn't considered any of those options so I figured in the least there should be an option that selects that.

Unfortunately for me I drive a lot for business, and its my own business so I have to expense myself! I drive the Lexus really only for work now, we drive the Prius on the weekends and on trips. I've also considered switching cars with my fiance because she doesn't drive nearly as much as I do (she drives maybe 4 miles a day. I drive a minimum of 35, and thats if I only drive to the office and back, usually its more like 50). But she doesn't want to do that because she loves her Prius...and I don't want to do that because I don't like driving it...

Its a real conundrum. I can't drive any less...

Thanks Steve :)

How much is your gas at the moment? Here in Sweden it's $8.60/gallon :(

WOW - Gas here in Colorado varies from $3.89 (suburbs) to $4.59 (mountain, tourist areas) per gallon (91 Octane, which is premium in Colorado - gas stations do not have 93 Octane due to our elevation of 5,000+ feet).

How have your food prices been affected by the increase in Petro prices?

can we use regular instead of premium in the lexus is250/350? My friend has been putting regular for 2 years and no problems.. Doesn't the ECU adjust to the lower grade gas? I mean is it just a loss in performance?

There are other historical threads on LOC regarding this topic. My recommendation is to do a search on the topic as there is a lot of great info in those threads. IMO I would not use the mid-grade or low-grade fuel as it will eventually cause your engine to "knock", which could potentially cause piston and/or crank shaft damage due to the premature ignition of the fuel on the upstroke of the piston (IE: knock). But, I am by no means an expert!

I was working from home; however, having an 18 month old running around screaming and constantly banging on the office door wanting me to come play with him proved futile! No to mention the fact that living and working in the same place was driving me nuts.

I don't think I'll be going back to a Prius anytime soon. When I was checking out the safety ratings, sure, it gets good ratings, but it's only with similar cars like itself. So if a jacked-up truck comes barreling down on me, I'm not going to survive. Of course, not many cars would, but I think I can do better in my Lexus than the Prius........I'm just glad that I have a job that allows me to be able to pay these prices.......now, saving, that's another thing....!!!!

Out of curiosity, please take a minute to answer the questions on this quick poll regarding gas prices.

Thanks,

BaddBoi

The reality is that this question (although well intended) is irrelevent. America has constructed its cities and lifestyle around the automobile and decentralization. To deny that is to deny our entire way of life. Even in Massachusetts - which has fairly extensive Mass Transit... it is still 20 minutes away from my home. The fact is Americans will continue to !Removed! and complain but will pay whatever the price. And why shouldn't we? I read just the other day that adjusted for inflation that 0.25 cent gas of 1940's is equivalent to 3.90 gas today - so we are not that far off. I personally must drive 100 miles a day to maintain my own business - so my answer is I will keep filling up and dreaming of my next Lexus upgrade. What will happen with people on "fixed incomes" - no matter how small or large... they will adjust other things in their lives to pay or simpily go into debt. As a business man I don't fault the oil companies.. its supply and demand, would you charge $100 for something you could get $1000 bucks for?

Even more laughable is the thought of posing such a question on a LEXUS forum ...don't you think? Obviously anyone who would buy a Lexus has some money to burn... don't get me wrong I love my car but it is an indulgance (one that I am willing to pay for in purchase price, local excise taxes yearly on the car.. which is stupid, maintenance, poor fuel efficiency and insurance). We are looking at gas $6.oo at a minimum very soon. The question is when will we see alternatively powered vehicles? I say 30 years out, and gas at $20.

It depends on what base year you use for that 25 cent gas. I was still buying gas for 25 cents a gallon in 1959. That adjusts to $1.77

Well you are alot younger then I am..... :)

That is a joke sir... I am well aware of your seniority on the boards and in years... on me....

Actually I was going to quote the price from my grandaddy's gas stations in NY in the 1930s...0.11 9/10.... and that in photographs is almost as shocking as th 4.99 9/10 I saws in Miami a few weeks back!

I was pumping gas in 1965 for .27 per gallon in Idaho. when I was in Spain in 1971 gas was about .50 per liter...Europe has sucked down these prices for a very long time....

It depends on what base year you use for that 25 cent gas. I was still buying gas for 25 cents a gallon in 1959. That adjusts to $1.77

Well you are alot younger then I am..... :)

That is a joke sir... I am well aware of your seniority on the boards and in years... on me....

Actually I was going to quote the price from my grandaddy's gas stations in NY in the 1930s...0.11 9/10.... and that in photographs is almost as shocking as th 4.99 9/10 I saws in Miami a few weeks back!

In the 40's I remember my dad pulling in to the gas station and telling them to put $2 worth of regular. That was his weekly gas stop.

I remember laughing at the gas gauge in my 69' Camaro back in the 80's. I had just rebuilt the car into a street rod. It had a 396 big block, and when you stood on the gas pedal, you could watch the gas gauge drop! :o I think I was getting like 6 mpg. on C16!!

Sure glad I don't have that today!

I have heard of companies starting popping up with ways to convert gas engines into a semi-hybrid car by using water pumps, etc. Has anyone had any success with these? Will any of these systems void any warrenties and is any of these systems promoted by Lexus? (I doubt it since they are pretty new).

Jeff.

I don't think I'll be going back to a Prius anytime soon. When I was checking out the safety ratings, sure, it gets good ratings, but it's only with similar cars like itself. So if a jacked-up truck comes barreling down on me, I'm not going to survive. Of course, not many cars would, but I think I can do better in my Lexus than the Prius........I'm just glad that I have a job that allows me to be able to pay these prices.......now, saving, that's another thing....!!!!

Why would you think you would do better in your IS than a Prius if size is your concern? Your IS is significantly smaller than the Prius. The Prius is a midsized car, same as an ES, Camry, or GS. The IS is a compact car. Look it up. I'd feel safer in the Prius, honestly.

The Prius is a very, very safe car.

Even more laughable is the thought of posing such a question on a LEXUS forum ...don't you think? Obviously anyone who would buy a Lexus has some money to burn... don't get me wrong I love my car but it is an indulgance (one that I am willing to pay for in purchase price, local excise taxes yearly on the car.. which is stupid, maintenance, poor fuel efficiency and insurance). We are looking at gas $6.oo at a minimum very soon.

People oftentimes say things like this and its just plain dumb. I make a lot of money, but that doesn't mean I have unlimited money or that I am unaffected by the rising costs of everything and the recession.

Lets look at what I spend on gas. I fill up about 5 times a month. So at $40 a tank I'm spending $200 a month on gas. Now that it costs me $75 a tank I'm spending $375 a month on gas. $6 a gallon? $90-95 a tank, $475 a month. Thats an increase of $275 a month from what it was last year if gas goes to $6 a gallon.

Now, I can certainly afford that but everything else increases in costs as well. My fiance has a $1,000 per month grocery and household budget which includes our dog food and cat food etc, our groceries, etc. Over the past two months she has been incapable of staying in that budget. Its not her fault, she's buying all the same stuff she's always bought, it just costs a *lot* more. So, we're going to have to increase that budget to $1200.

I have a friend getting married in Mexico, Cancun. We can't get a flight down there for less than $1500 round trip. Why? Fuel prices.

My utilities have gone up to $638 a month...and I live in a townhouse. Cable bill went up, gotta fuel those vehicles.

Fuel prices have a huge effect on EVERYTHING in our lives and if you think you are immune because you make a good living, think again. If you think making a good living means that you shouldn't be concerned with what things cost and trying to get as much value as you can out of your income, then you like the vast majority of Americans are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point in your life. Thats why most Americans, regardless of their income, can never afford to retire and die worse than penniless.

Why would you think you would do better in your IS than a Prius if size is your concern? Your IS is significantly smaller than the Prius. The Prius is a midsized car, same as an ES, Camry, or GS. The IS is a compact car. Look it up. I'd feel safer in the Prius, honestly.

The Prius is a very, very safe car.

Even more laughable is the thought of posing such a question on a LEXUS forum ...don't you think? Obviously anyone who would buy a Lexus has some money to burn... don't get me wrong I love my car but it is an indulgance (one that I am willing to pay for in purchase price, local excise taxes yearly on the car.. which is stupid, maintenance, poor fuel efficiency and insurance). We are looking at gas $6.oo at a minimum very soon.

People oftentimes say things like this and its just plain dumb. I make a lot of money, but that doesn't mean I have unlimited money or that I am unaffected by the rising costs of everything and the recession.

Lets look at what I spend on gas. I fill up about 5 times a month. So at $40 a tank I'm spending $200 a month on gas. Now that it costs me $75 a tank I'm spending $375 a month on gas. $6 a gallon? $90-95 a tank, $475 a month. Thats an increase of $275 a month from what it was last year if gas goes to $6 a gallon.

Now, I can certainly afford that but everything else increases in costs as well. My fiance has a $1,000 per month grocery and household budget which includes our dog food and cat food etc, our groceries, etc. Over the past two months she has been incapable of staying in that budget. Its not her fault, she's buying all the same stuff she's always bought, it just costs a *lot* more. So, we're going to have to increase that budget to $1200.

I have a friend getting married in Mexico, Cancun. We can't get a flight down there for less than $1500 round trip. Why? Fuel prices.

My utilities have gone up to $638 a month...and I live in a townhouse. Cable bill went up, gotta fuel those vehicles.

Fuel prices have a huge effect on EVERYTHING in our lives and if you think you are immune because you make a good living, think again. If you think making a good living means that you shouldn't be concerned with what things cost and trying to get as much value as you can out of your income, then you like the vast majority of Americans are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point in your life. Thats why most Americans, regardless of their income, can never afford to retire and die worse than penniless.

Nice rant. I am do not consider my self immune to rising fuel costs and the repercussions throughout the economy. The question is what will you do differently and when is the breaking point, personally I think it is irrelevant for the reasons stated in the first paragraph of my earlier post. ON TOP OF THAT, this type of vehicle is a LUXURY purchase! So maybe lighten up on the hardship of buying dog food - we all get it. If you are driving a LUXURY car at the expense of your families real need your priorities are severely misguided.

There is a difference between concern, complaining and more importantly action. You post makes no suggestions just complaints.

I'm done.

In the 60's in CA, good gas, good bread and good cigs were all around 29¢.

Today in CA good gas, good bread and good cigs are all around $4.50

That is too funny, and a concert only cost $10...those were the days...